Thread: TrueCrypt 5.0 released 05Feb08

Default TrueCrypt 5.0 released 05Feb08

February 5, 2008

New features:

Ability to encrypt a system partition/drive (i.e. a partition/drive where Windows is installed) with pre-boot authentication (anyone who wants to gain access and use the system, read and write files, etc., needs to enter the correct password each time before the system starts). For more information, see the chapter System Encryption in the documentation. (Windows Vista/XP/2003)

Pipelined operations increasing read/write speed by up to 100% (Windows)

Mac OS X version

Graphical user interface for the Linux version of TrueCrypt

XTS mode of operation, which was designed by Phillip Rogaway in 2003 and which was recently approved as the IEEE 1619 standard for cryptographic protection of data on block-oriented storage devices. XTS is faster and more secure than LRW mode (for more information on XTS mode, see the section Modes of Operation in the documentation).

Note: New volumes created by this version of TrueCrypt can be encrypted only in XTS mode. However, volumes created by previous versions of TrueCrypt can still be mounted using this version of TrueCrypt.

SHA-512 hash algorithm (replacing SHA-1, which is no longer available when creating new volumes).

==================

Improvements, bug fixes, and security enhancements:

The Linux version of TrueCrypt has been redesigned so that it will no longer be affected by changes to the Linux kernel (kernel upgrades/updates).

Many other minor improvements, bug fixes, and security enhancements. (Windows and Linux)

If you are using an older version of TrueCrypt, it is strongly recommended that you upgrade to this version.
    www.truecrypt.org

I know alot of you guys, like me are very security conscious when it comes to data. Therefore I'm letting you know about the new release of this fantastic software

System partition encryption is a nice new feature

Anybody tested this with BT3 HD install yet?

=============
    Is anybody else unable to connect to truecrypt.org?

Working Link to news only no Download link:
    http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=781636

As of November 2, 2005, all official TrueCrypt distribution packages can be downloaded only at:

http://www.truecrypt.org/downloads.php

SourceForge.net mirror servers are no longer used. For more information, visit www.truecrypt.org

==========
    SideNote:

(v5.0 has a serious bug where it is impossible to create a working recovery disk)
    */ Last Edit */

Good friend of the forums

I went to http://www.truecrypt.org/downloads.php and it loaded just fine for me. At the moment the only Linux packages available are for Ubuntu and OpenSUSE (deb and rpm packages). I can download the source code and compile it myself but the forums are down so I cannot confirm the statement about the bug with the working recovery partition.

I think I will wait a week or two before I give truecrypt 5 a shot.