Thread: pci cards getting blocked by inturrupt disable?

Just burned his ISO

Default pci cards getting blocked by inturrupt disable?

Hulo again all!, I am having some really lame issues with a couple of machines,, but am just going to ask for help one at a time as I think issues are not related as they appear to be: both machines are not config'ing pci hardware upon booting or attempted manual setting.

First machine is Compaq Evo w P4 celeron, other older baby atx w amdK6. I have been using a DWL-G520 pci wifinic for connection to outside werld- I choose this adapter cause it has always been autodetected under BT2 in the past and pre-installed driver., anyways...

The compaq evo, is a low-profile case with the plug in PCI card carrier- fits only 2 cards. I have tried swapping out slots, loading both and loading only one,, these cards are getting detected but not able to be actually used. Under windowsxp I can install the driver mostly but at end an err comes back as "code 10" cannot start device,, a few times if I rebooted, the device manager would show multiple errorous entries for itmes like the usb controller, built in ethernet, and the sound I think. Trying to install drivers manually didn't work either,, but if rebooting a few times chances are that they would correct themselves yet the actual pci slots unable to be corrected-- under linux able to obtain more info yet still unsure how to interpret it,, I am going to include a small snippet of dmesg output that I think may shed light on problem--disabled interrupt?

I would really appreciate any help with this as I am connected right now using a hobbled together p2 @ 233Mhz which is ready to give it up any minute by the sound of things.

other smaller question is regarding a driver for the realtek 8185 running rtl8225 radio- I obtained source from someplace but unable to compile or use make scripts,, get pointer related errs and others from the stack source,, is there an already working module or do I have to compile for each machine running the hardware? is there a newer stack to use or am I just missing some libs with the stock BT2 installation (full)

much thanx for any assistance! regards, jd

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Sounds like something is wrong with the PCI steering. Do you have ACPI turned off in your BIOS? Are IRQ's being manually assigned to certain devices? Try disabling devices that you may not be using, like sound cards, modems and such and see if you can the card working in XP. When you get a Code 10 in XP, that definately means there's a hardware conflict you're going to have to resolve first.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Just burned his ISO

Thankx for the response!, yeh I tried to disable and reenable acpi using bios with no favorable results- I just reset to defaults now & still no good. I also wiped xp from machine as it only had the 1 drive and only was 20GB

The machine also seemsto run very slowly when i had debian installed briefly,, it was lagging so much taht it made this 233MHz machine appear quick!,, I was getting similar problems with other linux distros like suse but backtrack seems to move quickly once installed to hd,so will probably gofor new bt once problems resolved.

I will try to disable everything I can but for the wifi nic I guess, then see what happens....cheers, jd

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

You could just have a bad motherboard. PCI controller could be done blowed up real good.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Have you tried any boot-time "cheatcodes"?

You could try

pci=biosirq - to force using the bios set IRQ's instead. (by default it doesn't read the IRQ's from BIOS like Windows does)

irqpoll

acpi_irq_balance

noapic

noapci

Just burned his ISO

thanx!, stupid question probably but how to insert these settings? to a script or issue at boottime somehow/place? thankx again, j