Thread: How To Run FILE.SH From Mouse Clicks

Default How To Run FILE.SH From Mouse Clicks

I'm a pentester and a programmer. New to Linux. I am hooked now. I love it. As stated.. I am new to Linux though, but catching on quickly.

My question is probably simple to most; I have a script.sh script file, and I want to be able to launch it by simple clicking on it. The only way I see to run this is by either pasting the path to a shell window or placing the file in the /bin directory and then typing the name in anywhere I am. How is the ladder possible?

You can also put it in the /usr/bin or /usr/sbin directory and to add on that,
    you can also do some shell command linking. On the netgh0st site i saw a
    little tiny guide to do that.

But can't you just right click the shell file, then choose which program to use,
    then choose /bin/sh as the program it should usually start? That's what i would
    think of when we're talking about using your GUI to start shell files.
    [quote][I]I realized, that I had fallen down from the top of the mountain into a deep, terrifying and dark hole, just to find out that another mountain in front of me, much greater than the previous, was the next step in life. I began to wander uphill on the next mountain of life while I knew it would be much harder than the previous mountain. [/I]- MaXe[/quote]

try right click > properties> make file executeable

then you can run them from clicking.

thats how i used my WPA_supp/dhcpcd ath0 script before i figured out how to make it autorun on startup

In Backtrack 3 beta.

On kde desktop right click ---->Create new --->Link Application

Set name of the link

In permission Tab set "is executable"

In "Application" tab browse command shell script to execute; for example

/root/test.sh

If you want see output go in right down option "Advanced option" and set the following:

"Run in terminal" and "Do not close when comand exits"

Bye.
    Use your Brain, don't be slave!!!!

chmod 755 <filename>
    Removed by -=Xploitz=-
    We do NOT allow external links. We only allow "internal" links to our forums. See PM's.

or
    chmod +x filename.sh
    in this case we're talking
    [quote][I]I realized, that I had fallen down from the top of the mountain into a deep, terrifying and dark hole, just to find out that another mountain in front of me, much greater than the previous, was the next step in life. I began to wander uphill on the next mountain of life while I knew it would be much harder than the previous mountain. [/I]- MaXe[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by MaXe Legend View Post
    or
    chmod +x filename.sh
    in this case we're talking
    Tried that.. it doesn't run. Only runs if I open up a shell window and drag/drop paste path to it and launch it that way.

Is this an indication to possibly a bigger issue with my BT3 setup? Does everyone else have the capability of launching .sh files upon flagging them as executable?

Quote Originally Posted by drpepperONE View Post
    In Backtrack 3 beta.

On kde desktop right click ---->Create new --->Link Application

Set name of the link

In permission Tab set "is executable"

In "Application" tab browse command shell script to execute; for example

/root/test.sh

If you want see output go in right down option "Advanced option" and set the following:

"Run in terminal" and "Do not close when comand exits"

Bye.
    This method seems to perform what I need. Thanks for the tips and suggestions peps! Much appreciated! Thank you.