Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: macbook C2D BT3 specific changes...a tutorial of sorts...

If it makes a difference, I installed refit before I did the resize command.

Good to hear you got the partitions you need. Good luck with the rest

i hit a snag
    maybe i shouldnt have formatted with the diskutil command, cuz now once i try for the install i just get a screen with a penguin on it.

i wouldnt expect having the volume formatted fat32 would give bt a prob.
    my linux partition is where it should be, in 0s3 and windows is 0s4. I did the MBR sync and then followed the directions to boot the live cd. once i click on it i immediately arrive at a grey screen with a penguin just sitting there. let it sit for about 20 minutes and nothing. also tried erasing the partition and formatting it into unix. maybe i should format it HFS i dont know at this point.

also suck cuz i guess in order to just boot to the live cd like i used to do, i will have to remove refit, which should hopefully let bootcamp load up the live disc.

hopefully i can get past the penguin screen tho!

well its not necessary to remove refit for me, just held down option like usual and got the option to boot my bt3 disk and completed the install from there.
    there was a bit about the fact that you dont need refit to actually install the software because you can just use bootcamp. refit.sourceforge.net/myths/

so i got around not being able to boot the cd from refit but after the install nothing came up on the refit menu for linux

In the guide linked by theberries the guy is doing a dual boot setup so his MBR/gpt stuff is pretty simple, i am curious what settings you used in the installer Berries? I remember reading that there can be only one MBR on these macs so perhaps MBR should be placed on sda4?? And did you leave the box labeled restore original MBR after lilo ticked or not? I have tried different combinations of these and refit tells me everything is synced but not all so i am going to take a break from this and hope for some input from the community before reinstalling again.

ok, I just decided to leave it unticked like the tut says.
    it says to untick if you have not got another os so that is primarily why i was ticking it in the first place, maybe i should stop thinking 4 myslef! but anyway,

refit now loads BT when i start with startx

even though i installed from the bootcamp boot of the live cd i can load up bt3 with refit. It was the first time i ever saw the login screen and had to do the startx command.

I was surprised to see the minor diffs there, like the lack of any shortcut items like the konsole (xterm on hdd installs) or konqueror or mozilla. I kind of liked the cd boot environment more cuz i could use the right click on my external mouse while in the konsole to copy/paste.

Unfortunately my windows partition wont boot up probly cuz i messed with its MBR. I know there is a line i need to add to the boot.ini file but also i cant even start to load parallels up with it cuz it sees an attached msdos (my linux?) partition and asks for it to be removed.

I guess everything is working in bt3, i did some monitor mode but didnt try any injection yet with the install. ettercap loaded up. i assume the lack of the desktop shortcuts and the revamped menu is normal for the install compared to the bootdisk.
    thanks

****so if you are like me and had probs getting refit to load your live cd just use bootcamp by holding option like you used to and install from there.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by theberries View Post
    If you do an "iwconfig" you'll see a "wifi0" and an "ath0". According to the madwifi website (the drivers you're using), the ath0 is a VAP (virtual AP) that serves as the workhorse. You'll want to use ath0 for both sniffing and injecting.
    Oh! nice, thanks for this little snipit.

Code:
    toshiba ~ # wlanconfig ath0 destroy
    toshiba ~ # wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode monitor
    ath0
    toshiba ~ # iwconfig ath0 mode monitor channel 6
    toshiba ~ # ifconfig ath0 up
    toshiba ~ # aireplay-ng --test -e WLAN -a 00:AA:BB:CC:DD:EE ath0
    23:03:21  Trying broadcast probe requests...
    23:03:22  No Answer...
    23:03:22  Found 1 AP

23:03:22  Trying directed probe requests...
    23:03:22  00:AA:BB:CC:DD:EE - channel: 6 - 'WLAN'
    23:03:22  Ping (min/avg/max): 2.069ms/8.571ms/10.831ms
    23:03:22  30/30: 100%

23:03:22  Injection is working!
    Seeing that last line is very satisfying :-)

Now if only I could get ipwraw injecting!

Just burned his ISO

is this with the atheros wifi or broadcom hardware??

Quote Originally Posted by thenewguy View Post
    is this with the atheros wifi or broadcom hardware??
    MB C2D has atheros cards.

Just burned his ISO

I purchased a new macbook 3 days back (the one with 2.4 GHz processor)
    I have a broadcom chipset wireless.
    Seems like apple has replaced atheros with broadcom chipset !!
    I have been trying to get my broadcom card detected since the last 48 hours but in vain
    It seems that my wi-fi card is not even detected. I have installed bt3 in vmware fusion first to test whether it works on my mac.
    Can somebody give any pointers ? or help me out ?

Quote Originally Posted by flash2004 View Post
    I purchased a new macbook 3 days back (the one with 2.4 GHz processor)
    I have a broadcom chipset wireless.
    Seems like apple has replaced atheros with broadcom chipset !!
    I have been trying to get my broadcom card detected since the last 48 hours but in vain
    It seems that my wi-fi card is not even detected. I have installed bt3 in vmware fusion first to test whether it works on my mac.
    Can somebody give any pointers ? or help me out ?
    The nature of vmware is that it uses your existing network connection for all its connections. This means that it will see your built-in wifi card as a wired ethernet connection. The only way "around" that is to have a USB wifi card. Simply put, vmware cannot utilize the wireless portion of your built-in broadcom card.

That being said, I know little about the compatibility of broadcom cards in BT3. I'm sure it's detected and such. Not sure about injection capabilities.

Let us (the BT3 with MB users) know of any findings regarding this.

Just burned his ISO

I also have a new macbook with the broadcom chipset. I have backtrack running through bootcamp, and the wifi chip is not recognized. Does anyone know of a work around, besides getting a usb wifi stick? I would like to use the internal if I could. I just want it to work! If all else fails I will resort to putting an atheros chip from an old macbook in hopes that it will work.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast