Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obtaining MAC address from IP host

Default Obtaining MAC address from IP host

I'm trying to learn spoofing techniques and i'm trying to determine the MAC address of the host. I've got an understanding for networks etc etc. Now when i ping the host i run tcpdump + Wireshark with it only shows the MAC address of my access point (Which is understandable). But how do i determine a MAC address when i'm behind a gateway?

Thanks people.

Quote Originally Posted by phil128 View Post
    I'm trying to learn spoofing techniques and i'm trying to determine the MAC address of the host. I've got an understanding for networks etc etc. Now when i ping the host i run tcpdump + Wireshark with it only shows the MAC address of my access point (Which is understandable). But how do i determine a MAC address when i'm behind a gateway?

Thanks people.
    The MAC address of the original sender is striped by the gateway router.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Thanks people.
    My fellow BOfH is correct, it's stripped by the router. If you want to learn, you had better read up on NAT.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Yeah i can understand the NAT being the problem as it does hide the actually IP address behind a gateway address. Well thanks anyways :-D.

Yeah i can understand the NAT being the problem as it does hide the actually IP address behind a gateway address. Well thanks anyways :-D.
    Phil128,

Get yourself a copy of a CompTIA Network+ book, it will be a good crash course in networking and hopefully help you get your head around spoofing.

I shall do tht when i get paid next :-D. I do know networks and crap. But it makes me think why there're so many new spoofing programs out there when a LAN behind a NAT is standard nowadays. Interesting stuff tho :-D

I shall do tht when i get paid next :-D. I do know networks and crap. But it makes me think why there're so many new spoofing programs out there when a LAN behind a NAT is standard nowadays. Interesting stuff tho :-D
    LAN behind a NAT became standard well over a decade ago because the inturweb was running out of IP address. With more companies converting to NAT's and giving up their large blocks of IP's, that has slowed, but it's still a problem.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Didnt think it was tht long ago tht they introduce NAT into routers. Yea i can understand tht i.e having a gateway address then having other computers on the LAN connected to tht gateway. Jus imagine what would happen if tht wasn't introduce.lol. I wouldn't be able to send this msg as we wud be fighting for our ip address.lol. Hence IPv6 will sort out the problem but IPv4 will still be going :-D. Thanks streaker69 it's good tht people know their stuff

Didnt think it was tht long ago tht they introduce NAT into routers. Yea i can understand tht i.e having a gateway address then having other computers on the LAN connected to tht gateway. Jus imagine what would happen if tht wasn't introduce.lol. I wouldn't be able to send this msg as we wud be fighting for our ip address.lol. Hence IPv6 will sort out the problem but IPv4 will still be going :-D. Thanks streaker69 it's good tht people know their stuff
    What's relatively new in the market is the NAT in a box products. It was previously done with a server. I had set up many Novell boxes using Border Manager when back when that was one of the solutions for NAT out there. Windows RRAS can also do NAT, but I wouldn't recommend it without spending lots of time configuring it and setting up a third party firewall as well.

Interesting stuff firewalls are :-D, i have such an interest in firewalls and security in general. I going to uni next year to study computer science and i'm hoping by the age of 30 i get the chance to work within the computer security sector. I'm only 21 and i'm studying C and ASM in my own time aswell as linux systems.I'm into the whole computer security business as i love to learn it not thinking HA i can cripple a web server but more in the lines of i know how to cripple a web server and i know how to secure it. Hence me trying to learn as much as i can.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast