Thread: Some problems with proper net working..

Just burned his ISO

Default Some problems with proper net working..

Because it`s my first topic I`d like to say hello to everyone.

I have two problems with net-connexion on BT3 beta. I have a pcmcia card DWL-610, running on laptop. The point is, when I try to connect to a network using wlassistant, the keyboard suspends and I`m not able to tybe anything.
    Second issue is that, when I connect to a network[this time using kwifimanager], the connection is very slow although I configure(I think) the settings corretly[as in windows]. Websites are loading slowly. There`s plenty of packets coming to me and this seems to be strange `cause a MAC is a 100% free.. Maybe it has sth to do with broadcast? As far as I remeber, it doesnt have to be set while working on windows.. If so, what is the pattern for configuring it on linux? What is more, the gateway doesnt want to set up too - I have to type it 2 times before being able to explore the net..
    commands I use before gettin into a network..
    machchange -m XX:.... wlan0 - not wifi0 etc if it matters
    then configuring IP throug ifconing, but mostly I use an x-based program from kde-startmenu kinda `Set ip adress` - the network doesnt have a DHCP

Drop me some hints how to fix it, please.

Why are you trying to change your MAC address if you are connecting to your home network just to browse the net?

Anyhow this is the way i do it. I dont use any of the programs i just do it all through the command line.

First delete the contents of /etc/dhcpcd

next open up a konsole window and do this..

Code:
    iwconfig <interface> essid <name of wireless network> key <wep key>
    My command looks like this

Code:
    iwconfig ath0 essid 16226 key 14:28:42:56:70:84:98:AF:BE:CD:10:20:33
    IF YOU USE WPA THIS METHOD WILL NOT WORK. YOU MUST USE WPA_SUPPLICANT!

after you enter the information for you home network finish up with the command...

Code:
    dhcpcd <interface>
    Mine looks like this

Code:
    dhcpcd ath0
    When that completes KNemo will pop up a tooltip saying that your interface is connected.

best of luck