Thread: BT3 + Fusion - Basic question

Just burned his ISO

Hi,

First post (and yes, I *have* read through all the "read this first!" posts).

I've searched through the forums and it appears as though what I'm doing *is* supported but I may be doing something noob-like.

I have a 17" Macbook Pro 2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo running OS X 10.5.1. I have the latest version of VMWare's Fusion (1.1.1 build 72241) and the latest BackTrack3 iso image. I'm using a Linksys WUSB54G v4 dongle (rt2570).

When I issue airmon-ng start rausb0 I get this:

Interface Chipset Driver

rausb0 Ralink USB rt2570 (monitor mode enable)Invalid command: forceprishmheader

Is the "Invalid command" message expected? I ask because I get the same thing if I boot my Dell Inspiron 8200 off of the BT3 CD (again, using the WUSB54G dongle).

If I issue an iwconfig after the first airmon-ng command the rausb0's mode is still managed. If I issue the same airmon-ng command a second time, iwconfig then reports that the device *is* in monitor mode.

If I now issue an airodump-ng command I can see the APs around me, as well as clients associated with those APs.

So I *think* everything is working.

When the tuts state "you must wait for 100K IVs", I don't know if that means the number reported under the "Beacons" column in airodump-ng's output. Clarification there would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Macified

Quote Originally Posted by macified View Post
    When the tuts state "you must wait for 100K IVs", I don't know if that means the number reported under the "Beacons" column in airodump-ng's output. Clarification there would be appreciated.
    I guess this was too basic of a question. Just in case anyone else is similarly confused:

The beacons are NOT the same as IVs. The #Data column in airodump-ng's output represents the IV count.

I can't help you with the ralink issue but I can make a comment on the IVs...

Starting aircrack-ng while you're collecting the IVs negates the need to watch how many you're collecting. Aircrack does that for you and will try every 5k IVs. I find that a 64b WEP requires anywhere from 25k to 30k IVs. Just start aircrack-ng on the cap file that you're collecting to at the same time.