Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: password cracking guide

Gr8 tutorial,

Just a few things to add:To crack A winblows admin and user account. If you can get the SAM and config files located at C:\WINNT\system32\config via botting from Backtrack, then back to Win and open them in Cain and Able

Sometimes the Desktop.ini has passwords stored in it too
    It's best to try, and google, then try, and google! and google more!

Good friend of the forums

I will look into adding a section for Cain and Able. I have read about it but never used it beyond downloading it for the latest version winrtgen.exe.

I have never see a password in desktop.ini. Can you please provide more information about that?

Thanks,
    I like the bleeding edge, but I don't like blood loss

Excellent tutorial, but two suggestions. For cracking local LM password hashes (windows admin and user accounts) i use ophcrack. I have the 700+ meg rainbow table installed on a workstation and have the smaller livecd one for systems. Generally the combo of those will work for any password without a special character (!@#$%^&*) consisting of letters and numbers. http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/

If there's a windows password i can't break with ophcrack's rainbow tables, i bruteforce the unbroken half with cain. (generally there's only one 7 character half with a special character, and breaking a 7-7 is a lot easier than breaking a 1-14).

The other thing i would reccomend is lyx, its a wonderful documentation tool that makes making professional looking pdf, dvi, and html documentation so incredibly easy, if it spat out word files and could use word templates, i'd ditch word at work. Also, chances are it'll run on whatever you're running. http://www.lyx.org/

Keep up the excellent work, i use at least one or two of the techniques detailed in this text at work at least once a month.

I will look into the products you suggested. One of my students swears by ophcrack. I usually stick with the tools that come with backtrack, but with such strong recommendations I need to check it out.

Thanks,

Just burned his ISO

i cant download the file

Please read the entire thread. Pureh@te posted the file to rapidshare. Here is the link:
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/sho...7&postcount=30
    I am working on updating the document, but I won't be posting it for a couple of weeks.

Just burned his ISO

thanks a lot.

i am not able to download the file u have attached.Is because i am a new user?

Probably, just wait for three days I think.
    [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]hehe...
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Just burned his ISO

Thanks a lot..
    i just burn a Backtrack cd....

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast