Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why BackTrack?

Just burned his ISO

Question Why BackTrack?

I love the distro... only been using it for a few weeks now.

I'm fairly new to the world of Slackware, or linux in general, but I figured I would figure it out as I go along and so far so good.

It wasn't until I showed it to a buddy of mine (huge linux guy) when he said that I was insane for trying to learn linux on Slackware. He suggested RedHat.

He claims that I should be able to compile the same tools used in BackTrack into RedHat.

Then I would have the benefit of the various tools, with the combined benefit of a comparatively-easier-to-learn distro which could be applied elsewhere.

I know this is my first post, and I know this must look like I'm fishing for flaming... but I'm the kind of person that likes to research stuff before he donates sanity to learning it... so I'd really like to hear your opinions on the matter.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Shibbydacury View Post
    He claims that I should be able to compile the same tools used in BackTrack into RedHat.

Then I would have the benefit of the various tools, with the combined benefit of a comparatively-easier-to-learn distro which could be applied elsewhere.
    Why go to all that work compiling 300+ tools? Just so you can learn a few different commands? Not worth it IMO.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

It depends on what you're doing. As a distro for learning Linux, Backtrack probably isn't the best choice, and may be a real bad choice. As a distro for learning pen-testing, Backtrack is probably the best choice.

So, I would agree with your friend that it would be insane for you to try to learn Linux on Backtrack. Learn the basics on Linux on some other distro, and come back to BT when you're comfortable with the basic OS.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

As it is stated all over the place BT is not a distro for beginners. No offense meant here, but you should be able to find your way around in Linux and understand what's going on.

BT is also not a distro to just put on your desktop without a special purpose. It was made to give a lot of tools for pentesting precompiled in a distro. And if you or anyone else is not familiar with Linux don't try to pentest/h4ck anything with the tools provided by BT since you won't understand how they are working.

Go and download Fedora,Mandriva or for the sake of it Ubuntu and start learning Linux, how it is set up, where the config files are, what to change, how to compile tools, how to use Google to research. Learning Linux and using Google come hand in hand and if you mastered these skills, you are ready to use BT.

Good luck with that.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

KMDave is so right, i've recently seen a lot of people that says they use BackTrack cause
    it has the tools they need, but most of them can't make it work properly, or have a lot
    of problems..

Now people might ask why do those people have problems using BackTrac?
    Cause they don't know anything about linux, some doesn't even know how to
    change the default password and that's just lame.

Some of them doesn't even know how to operate in the windows console, and
    thinks it gets easyere on BackTrack, while infact it doesn't if there's no skills left
    to google or write "man" to find out more about specific things..

BackTrack is the best Live CD in my oppinion, i've tried all the other ones allmost,
    and i must still say BackTrack is my favorite pentesting cd.. Why? Cause first of,
    i really love Slackware, it's stabile, it works, and it can compile anything basicly.

This is one of those threads where i could talk forever, but i wont
    I just dislike people thinking they can hack, just because they can burn the iso and
    boot up into it, without even knowing anything about how the console works..
    [quote][I]I realized, that I had fallen down from the top of the mountain into a deep, terrifying and dark hole, just to find out that another mountain in front of me, much greater than the previous, was the next step in life. I began to wander uphill on the next mountain of life while I knew it would be much harder than the previous mountain. [/I]- MaXe[/quote]

Developer

People wanting to be overnite hackers is always going to be a reality. To many movies glorify the lifestyle and make it seem dangerous for people not to want to try it. In my little experience once these people "crack" a few wep codes and then see whats next they generally go away.

Just burned his ISO

If you want to learn Linux, I suggest Ubuntu over Redhat. I've tried them both. Not only is Ubuntu completely geared towards beginners, there is an extremely active & helpful support community.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    People wanting to be overnite hackers is always going to be a reality. To many movies glorify the lifestyle and make it seem dangerous for people not to want to try it. In my little experience once these people "crack" a few wep codes and then see whats next they generally go away.
    Amen brotha !

But the whats next could be "go straight to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200" that should be what really turns people away.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by F4RR4R View Post
    If you want to learn Linux, I suggest Ubuntu over Redhat. I've tried them both. Not only is Ubuntu completely geared towards beginners, there is an extremely active & helpful support community.
    ...and if you happen to have one of the most prevalent wireless cards on the market, there's only a 19 page document you have to follow to get it to work under Ubuntu.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

ubuntu just dont work for me. i tried a few times to move from suse, but i coudnt. its a matter of taste i presume...
    bt is a good collection of all softs under 1 cd. nice

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast