Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: !!Vmware Internet Connection Problem!!

Just burned his ISO

Exclamation !!Vmware Internet Connection Problem!!

Hello everyone,

I just recently downloaded the new Backtrack version and installed it in Vmware Server. Everythings works fine except for the internet connection. I have a desktop (Windows XP) with BT2 Final installed in Vmware which works flawlessly, but with my laptop (Windows Vista) I can't get the internet to work. I tried manually configuring the IP,Subnet,GW etc. and I get connected, though I can't see any pages because the connections times out. The DNS is set up good so it isn't the problem. On the desktop i use a NetGear wg111t Wireless Adapter and on the Laptop I have an Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter. I set up the vmnet on the laptop as the one in the desktop. Bare in mind i'm trying to bridge the connection from the wireless adapter to the eth0 interface, not trying to make it work under ath0.

This is the result of ipconfig /all on my laptop for the wireless adapter and the 2 VMNet adapters.(I put translations in brackets since the language it is written in is Italian, sorry for that)

Configurazione IP di Windows (Windows IP Configuration)

Nome host . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : PC-Admin
    Suffisso DNS primario (Primary DNS Suffix) . . . . . . . . :
    Tipo nodo (Node Type) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Ibrido
    Routing IP abilitato (IP Routing Enabled). . . . . . . . . : No
    Proxy WINS abilitato . . . . . . . . : No

Scheda LAN wireless Connessione rete wireless: (Wireless Ntwork Connection)

Suffisso DNS specifico per connessione (Specific DNS Suffx for connection):
    Descrizione (Description) . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Ada
    pter
    Indirizzo fisico (Physical Address). . . . . . . . . . . : 00-1B-9E-4C-43-36
    DHCP abilitato (DhCP Enabled). . . . . . . . . . . . : No
    Configurazione automatica abilitata (Automatic Configuration Enabled) : Sė
    Indirizzo IPv6 locale rispetto al collegamento . : fe80::8ddc:6183:f386:817d%
    10(Preferenziale) [preferential]
    Indirizzo IPv4. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.19(Preferenziale)
    Subnet mask . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Gateway predefinito . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    Server DNS . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.138
    NetBIOS su TCP/IP . . . . . . . . . . : Attivato

Scheda Ethernet Connessione alla rete locale (LAN) 2: (Ethernet Card Connection to Local Acces Network [LAN] 2)

Suffisso DNS specifico per connessione:
    Descrizione (Description) . . . . . . . . . . . . . : VMware Virtual Ethernet Adapter for V
    Mnet1
    Indirizzo fisico (Physical Address). . . . . . . . . . . : 00-50-56-C0-00-01
    DHCP abilitato (DHCP Enabled). . . . . . . . . . . . : Sė
    Configurazione automatica abilitata (Automatic Configuration Enabled) : Sė
    Indirizzo IPv6 locale rispetto al collegamento . : fe80::8dae:817b:6a2c:15f2%
    13(Preferenziale)
    Indirizzo IPv4. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.32.1(Preferenziale) [Preferential]
    Lease ottenuto (Lease Obtained). . . . . . . . . . . . : sabato 19 gennaio 2008 16.24.53 (Sat 19 Jan 2008 16.24.53)
    Scadenza lease (Lease Expires) . . . . . . . . . . . : domenica 20 gennaio 2008 4.09.52 (Sun 20 Jan 2008 4.09.52)
    Gateway predefinito (PRedefined GW) . . . . . . . . . :
    Server DHCP (DHCP Server) . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.32.254
    IAID DHCPv6 . . . . . . . . . . . : 184569942
    Server DNS . . . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
    fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
    fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1

[Refer to previous one, too lazy to write it again! :-P)

Scheda Ethernet Connessione alla rete locale (LAN) 2:

Suffisso DNS specifico per connessione:
    Descrizione . . . . . . . . . . . . . : VMware Virtual Ethernet Adapter for V
    Mnet8
    Indirizzo fisico. . . . . . . . . . . : 00-50-56-C0-00-08
    DHCP abilitato. . . . . . . . . . . . : No
    Configurazione automatica abilitata : Sė
    Indirizzo IPv6 locale rispetto al collegamento . : fe80::5584:52ca:29c7:be13%
    15(Preferenziale)
    Indirizzo IPv4. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.247.1(Preferenziale)
    Gateway predefinito . . . . . . . . . :
    Server DNS . . . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
    fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
    fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1

Please try to help me out if you can.

Thankyou all.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Server DNS . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.138
    Are those really the DNS servers on your network?
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Just burned his ISO

yes those are the 2 DNS Servers on my network.

Quote Originally Posted by BTFan View Post
    yes those are the 2 DNS Servers on my network.
    Can you ping them from the OS running inside the VMWare session?
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Just burned his ISO

I tried to ping this is what I get:

Ping 10.0.0.138 (10.0.0.138) 56(84) bytes of data.
    From 192.168.1.103 icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable
    "" "" 2 ""
    "" "" 3 ""

--- 10.0.0.138 Ping Statistics ---

8 Packets transimtted, 0 received, +6 errors, 100% packet loss, time 7026 ms, pipe 3

Usually when i try to ping something it just hangs...it doesn't resolve any hostnames either with the Host command.

what should I do??

I tried to ping this is what I get:

Ping 10.0.0.138 (10.0.0.138) 56(84) bytes of data.
    From 192.168.1.103 icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable
    "" "" 2 ""
    "" "" 3 ""

--- 10.0.0.138 Ping Statistics ---

8 Packets transimtted, 0 received, +6 errors, 100% packet loss, time 7026 ms, pipe 3

Usually when i try to ping something it just hangs...it doesn't resolve any hostnames either with the Host command.

what should I do??
    I am not going to come out right and tell you what's wrong because if I do, you won't learn anything. So I'll see if I can give you enough of a hint and you can figure it out.

Your problem is rather simple. You have an IP address on one subnet and DNS servers on another subnet. What do you need in between to make it work?

Just burned his ISO

Before I say anything, I'd like to say that i'm rather new to the scene so I really don't know. All i know is routers act as borders bewtween subnets and that communication to and from the subnets is done via a specifi port on a specific router. This is all I know. I know this is easy so i'm kind of embarassed, could you please help me out?

Before I say anything, I'd like to say that i'm rather new to the scene so I really don't know. All i know is routers act as borders bewtween subnets and that communication to and from the subnets is done via a specifi port on a specific router. This is all I know. I know this is easy so i'm kind of embarassed, could you please help me out?
    No offense, but if you don't even know the absolute basics of Network Topology and how to troubleshoot a simple problem like you're having, then you have no business even working in BackTrack. BT is not designed for people who know nothing about networks, it's a very advanced tool meant for those that know networks and their design.

I suggest you read up on TCP/IP Networks before you proceed any further, your background knowledge is rather lacking.

Just burned his ISO

none taken, but I think it is rather unhelpful of you not giving me the answer I requested help for.I remember i had the same problem on my desktop and solved it (I remember i changed the IP and some othjer settings, including subnet, just can't remeber what they were :-S I gave up my computer studies a year ago and started back now so I'm rusty) so if you could be so kind to please re-explain the procedure I would very much appreciate it.I think everyone should have the right of obtaining the support they asked for if the community can provide it, regardless of what level of skill they possess.It's right to denote the fact that there is a lot of learning to be made but denying the answer and dumping me like a moron feels a tad bit extreme to me. I'm just asking for 3 minutes of your time nothing more. I appreciate all your help.

BTFan

none taken, but I think it is rather unhelpful of you not giving me the answer I requested help for.I remember i had the same problem on my desktop and solved it (I remember i changed the IP and some othjer settings, including subnet, just can't remeber what they were :-S I gave up my computer studies a year ago and started back now so I'm rusty)
    If you were on the wrong path, I think Streaker would have given you another 'hint'. Remember -

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he can feed himself forever.

So, since it seems to me that you know what you need to do just don't remember how to do it. Possibley someone gave you the answer last time so you forgot it.

Look at what you said you did once before to fix your desktop. I think what you next step should be is to look at Streaker's post and comment about TCP/IP. This is not complicated and if you would put in a little effort to learn it, maybe the third time you encounter this problem you will remember.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast