Thread: ipw2200 versus external antenna

Just burned his ISO

Default ipw2200 versus external antenna

Heya everyone,

ive been researching and learning about wifi for the past few weeks and have learnt quite a bit. I have a notebook with ipw2200, however it does not support de-auth attacks, so after reading on a bit on the forum, i decided to purchase a netgear WG511T.

However, the performance of the stock card is very bad compared to the centrino. So ive decided to mod the card with an external connection to my 2 home made antennas(cantenna & biquad). There is a huge performance boost, but it still does not match the performance of the ipw2200.

I'm not allowed to post image or attachment yet, so no screenies. Basically this is the read out from netstumbler.

WG511T with nothing connected to the N socket -70 dbm
    Cantenna -50 db
    ipw2200 -44db
    BiQuad -52 db

What is going on? Is the centrino that powerful, or is there something wrong with my wg511t?

They are probably reporting the power levels differently. Or your WG511T is defective.

Possibly a bad mod

If you soldered it badly rather than using a plug you will get losses not gains

Maybe using a PigTail might help solve gain problems

Or - your home made antenna's are not any good - try using a commercial one for comparison

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by mummysboy View Post
    Possibly a bad mod

If you soldered it badly rather than using a plug you will get losses not gains

Maybe using a ... might help solve gain problems

Or - your home made antenna's are not any good - try using a commercial one for comparison
    The thing is, that plugging in the cantenna and the bi quad does give a substantial performance boost, 20db or so in fact. Doesnt that mean that the mod is successful? Because if it is a bad solder joint, plugging in the antennas would not achieve anything.

Quote Originally Posted by SLK001 View Post
    They are probably reporting the power levels differently. Or your WG511T is defective.
    I think that might be the case. How does a stock WG511T compare to the centrino for everyone else? My understanding is that PCMCIA cards are not as good as centrino cos they have a very small onboard antenna while the centrinos have the entire LCD chassis as antenna.