Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My computer overheats - need a processor driver

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Default Re: My computer overheats - need a processor driver

Quote Originally Posted by k1ll3r View Post
    Thanks for support people but:
    As I said, fan works great, i don't even need a heater to be on, fan blows out the heat, but it cannot do as fast, as the processor warms up. There's no dust, i cleaned all vents.
    Of course in BIOS setup there is no option that could control anything related to processor speed and/or temperature.
    If there is enough thermal paste to run Vista, it has to handle BT, so i don't think it's a hw issue. I don't want to open the laptop because of the warranty.
    I still bet it's the driver's fault (erm.. missing driver's fault?). Is it possible at all to put it to the disc? (to do it so, that it's gonna work )
    Well grab a copy of ubuntu and make a unetbootin disk and try it. See if the problem persists. It shouldn't take but about 5 minutes or so to create the usb stick. This will help determine if it is indeed a driver issue.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel.Amael View Post
    Well grab a copy of ubuntu and make a unetbootin disk and try it. See if the problem persists. It shouldn't take but about 5 minutes or so to create the usb stick. This will help determine if it is indeed a driver issue.
    Uh, i forgot to mention about it (well, i forgot it at all, you reminded me now) - about 8 months ago i tried to run Ubuntu from CD, it was 6.06 i guess, and, it was funny, because if the system had loaded totally, the problem was gone and it worked normal. But when it didn't catch it (for example i used the computer before and it wasn't cool enough) it could turn off when loading or something.
    I regret, but I can't give it a try, cause i don't have any USB stick now. But now i guess it would work good if the system loaded totally.
    Good hint

Just burned his ISO

What does select plug and play OS in bios do. Is it on no(let the bios deal with hardware)

Just burned his ISO

I'm having the same problem. Right now I'm running BT on a MacbookPro and the temperature is at like...70centigrade. I'm not doing anything intense, just trying to figure out how to set the fanspeed to a higher rpm...
    I've tried installing nvclock, but everytime I try to adjust the fan control I get this error:

lib: extension "NV-CONTROL" missing on display ":0.0".
    Error: Your card doesn't support fanspeed adjustments!

When I had Ubuntu installed I was able to control the fan speed...This sucks right now because A. my lap is getting way hot, and B. I really don't want to fry my laptop.

I'm gonna reboot into my Mac partition, so I'll be able to be comfortable and stuff, but if anyone has any info on how to do this for :

Card: nVidia Geforce 9600M GT
    Architecture: G96 C1
    PCI id: 0x647
    GPU clock: 297.000 MHz
    Bustype: PCI-Express

it'd be way cool (punlulz) if I could get some info.
    Mega big up in advance. I was going to create a new thread because my issue and OP's issue are kinda different but I figured I'd do this first so the mods don't get me.

Maybe a stupid question, but did you typed "lib: extension "NV-CONTROL" missing on display ":0.0".
    Error: Your card doesn't support fanspeed adjustments! to any search engine on the net?

at OP
    One of those aspires caused me massive amounts of headache a year ago. It was constantly overheating and losing response from the keyboard and touchpad 20 mins after boot. During the next 2 months i did pretty much everything i can think of on software and hardware level, including reinstalling it a dozen times with different OS and breaking it into bits at least 5 times-cleaning it and checking for loose connections...same s**t. At this point i was so MAD being unable to figure out what the hell is going on, that i was on the edge of testing my brand new 10kg hammer on it. Decided to remove the battery so i can keep it as a spare and boot it one last time to boil my blood enough.....and.....WTF?! It was running nice and smooth, better than ever. Further investigation showed that one of the cells of the battery had a live circuit breakage and was passing incorrect voltage to the system causing the overheating.
    Bottomline: remove the battery and boot. And if that works you owe me a beer 0_o
    If anything can go wrong, it will....

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by laptopz View Post
    at OP
    And if that works you owe me a beer 0_o
    ROFL. Word.

Maybe a stupid question, but did you typed "lib: extension "NV-CONTROL" missing on display ":0.0".
    Error: Your card doesn't support fanspeed adjustments! to any search engine on the net?
    Yeah dude! I've learned not to post stuff on forums without making sure there isn't already an answer out there. I've found relevant stuff, and I downloaded this:

NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86-190.42

thing, but I can't figure out how to open a BSD file. Everytime I try I get this error:

Makefile:20: *** missing separator. Stop.

I checked line 20 of the code (it's the last line) and it's fine I think. I downloaded another one from a different site and it got the same error. I'm either missing something or I don't have a program to open a BSD file. Probably both.
    So I figured that'd I'd call for help from the backtrack-forum peeps and see if there was any info out locked away in a box, long kept secret. In Mordor.

Anyone?

Just burned his ISO

@OP
    What error messages have you gotten? Did you figure this out? If so, help a brotha out! I spent like 4 hours last night trying to figure this out. No bueno. The only thing that I've changed are the error message :P

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12