Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My computer overheats - need a processor driver

Just burned his ISO

Default My computer overheats - need a processor driver

Hello there,

I am a happy user of the Acer Aspire 5530G laptop.
    I'm don't know how it works, but i think's it is a BIOS bug. I guess it can't handle processor's power/voltage/something on it's own.
    By default there's Win Vista installed, and as far as I know, it sets the things up.
    But: when it comes to run anything, *even the BIOS setup program!* the computer overheats in few minutes/seconds depending on the ambient temp.
    Here goes what I tried to:
    1. Holding the laptop in the air, so the cooler was not covered even by my table, it gave me 30 secs more
    2. Placing a really cold beer under the processor's cover, it gave 3 minutes more and made the beer.. erm.. much less tasty
    3. Opening a window (well, it's winter now, 1 C) and placing the laptop on the windowsill - 8-10 minutes
    4. Using CPUFREQ - does not work with my CPU - blah blah unknown CPU driver yada yada...

My question is:
    How to put the driver for my CPU *on the disc* - i even found the driver, it's at Technical Download Details
    but how to get it to work from the DVD?

I can't just install BT to HD, for some reasons, i need to run it from Live. Is there a way to biuld the DVD *with* it?

I think it shouldn't be a big thing, but I am not so good to find it by myself.

Greetz, waiting for an solution (hints?) and apologize for my eng :*

Default Re: My computer overheats - need a processor driver

Quote Originally Posted by k1ll3r View Post
    2. Placing a really cold beer under the processor's cover, it gave 3 minutes more and made the beer.. erm.. much less tasty
    That was a funny idea...

Maybe you should update your BIOS firmware, that could fix the issue. Be careful though, if you make some mistake your computer might turn to a high-tech paperweight.
    Last edited by Snayler; 02-05-2010 at 02:18 AM.

Very good friend of the forum hhmatt's Avatar

I've updated several BIOS's before and the only thing you should really worry about is power loss. If your CPU is overheating quickly it may not be wise to update the BIOS since it will auto shutdown when it reaches critical temperatures. You should probably take it into a technician and let them look at it. You have too many heat problems that need to be corrected first and foremost.

Just burned his ISO

@ Snayler
    BIOS firmware is what i tried first (didn't dention it, let's threat as it would the 0. ). The most recent fw is the one i have my comp bought with.
    @ hhmatt
    The overheating doesn't come when I run Vista, so it's not a big hardware problem. Well, it is, but hehe with *the software of the hardware*... cooler works OK, it knows when to spin faster.
    but, as I said, even very low ambient temterature doesn't impress my processor

Maybe I should try to work at -273C

But i think it is possible to put the drivers to the kernel *on the DVD*. Here's a line from the README from the driver's archive (for Ubuntu):
    Code:
    ...Blah Blah
    The powernow-k8.c and powernow-k8.h files should be placed in the arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq directory. The kernel will then need to be rebuilt and the system rebooted.
    Yada yada...
    As i said, i need to run it DVD, so hehe rebooting is not a good idea

Just burned his ISO

Does the fan work at all when you boot *nix? This is a strange issue, as the BIOS should be monitoring the CPU temp itself. See if there is a setting in the BIOS to let the hardware control the fans?

Ian
    Last edited by A Student; 02-05-2010 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Realized it worked in Vista...kinda

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

This made my night! Thank You!! Perhaps you should have tried a 6-pack or a case?

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

I didn't see it mentioned but did you open the laptop up and look for copious amounts of dust and kitty fur blocking the vents or fan/s themselves?
    Also before worrying about a driver and updating bios and all that, take the cpu cooler off and see if there is any thermal paste on it and or the cpu. If not or very little you might want to invest in some.
    I also used your cpu model and overheating in google and came back with several links on the subject. Might want to check those as well as the manufacturer page for info or recall notices.
    It might even be a good idea to contact them and ask if there are reports of problems/ fixes.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for support people but:
    As I said, fan works great, i don't even need a heater to be on, fan blows out the heat, but it cannot do as fast, as the processor warms up. There's no dust, i cleaned all vents.
    Of course in BIOS setup there is no option that could control anything related to processor speed and/or temperature.
    If there is enough thermal paste to run Vista, it has to handle BT, so i don't think it's a hw issue. I don't want to open the laptop because of the warranty.
    I still bet it's the driver's fault (erm.. missing driver's fault?). Is it possible at all to put it to the disc? (to do it so, that it's gonna work )

Quote Originally Posted by hhmatt View Post
    If your CPU is overheating quickly it may not be wise to update the BIOS since it will auto shutdown when it reaches critical temperatures.
    I, uh, think that it might be a wise and safe decision to prevent the CPU from reaching those temperatures...
    thou shalt treat all computers as thou wouldst treat thyself, for thou art the creator of thine own problems.

In Vista use core temp to find out how warm its in your laptops core.

I use HP laptop and it helps if I remove battery.

Use a flashlight and look inside ur laptops bottom where fan is if there is any dust. If you open ur computer it may broke laptops warranty.

Contact Acers tecnical support

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast