Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Offensive Security 101 Course and Cert

Default Offensive Security 101 Course and Cert

Hi there,

this is my first post here, after reading around for quite a bit.
    I am quite new to pentesting, but since I wanted to learn about it in order to maybe work in that part of IT I thought about taking the course and get certified.

But I am not sure if I know enough of the basic stuff to pass it.

Could someone tell me what I need to know (especially about networking).
    I know, that you can't give me all details but a rough explanation.

Also is the course limited to a certain time of day (say 1pm-3pm EST) or can I just get the videos and do the work in the lab whenever I please during the start and end date of the course?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

this is not a course for beginners.......

i advice you to begin with backtrack wifoo course and after try the offsec 101

to get more infos .....

you can read http://www.offensive-security.com/do...u-syllabus.pdf

or

http://www.offensive-security.com/do...e-security.pdf

if you need some special infos for this courses please use :
    http://www.offensive-security.com/contact.php

thx for your choice, this courses are really good and the wifoo course was codesigned by muts(bt master) and misterx(aircrack-ng coder) so you can see jow high is the quality we propose .....

support offsec and taking courses here will help all the offsec crew to develop more good product for you all
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

It's not that I have no idea, was working as an admin for 7 years now, got quite some understanding on Linux and also the basics in networking.

I am also reading the open source pen test toolkit and trying to try it out in my home lab.

Ok another question, since the certification is repeatable: can I keep the videos and practice some more if I'd fail the first try and just give it anoter shot later on?

Developer

Email muts or ziplock and they can help you out.

http://www.offensive-security.com/contact.php

Like shamen said. They also have a irc channel where you could pose one or two questions however its for students so the like to keep it on topic.

freenode #offsec

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by KMDave View Post
    Hi there,

I am quite new to pentesting, but since I wanted to learn about it in order to maybe work in that part of IT I thought about taking the course and get certified.

Also is the course limited to a certain time of day (say 1pm-3pm EST) or can I just get the videos and do the work in the lab whenever I please during the start and end date of the course?

I started with the WIFOO course to help support the creators of this wonderful project. I could already crack wep and wpa before taking the course but I knew I would learn something new from these guys and I did. It gave me a very good understanding of packet formation and why these attacks work. Very valuble in my book. I plan on taking the 101 course later this year but only after I have studied more backtrack tools.

Great Course Guys.

OS-2726

M

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by KMDave View Post
    Hi there,

If you don't already know the basics of networking, then PenTesting is going to be way over your head. You need to understand why and how networks function otherwise, you'll just be another s'kriddie out there with no real knowledge.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

I'm pretty interested in these courses. I already know how to do WEP, WPA and such. I'm not a beginners, but not yet a veteran either. I am currently in college and started my info sec classes ( my final project is to hack one of the test servers my professor sets up ) But I feel that this could help me out more. I was wondering, when you get the videos, can you keep them so you can review them over and over? Even after the course that is.
    Lying is my life.

So if you pass one of these class you can pentest business networks?
    Dell Inspiron E1705
    Geforce 7900 series graphics card
    2G of ram
    120G harddrive
    Dualcore

If you pass you will get a certificate assumed that you also opted for the certification.

WEP and WPA are not covered in the Security 101 course, for Wireless a special course was made.

I decided to sign up for the course and started last sunday. The material provided is really informative and useful. But don't expect that it is a course spoonfeeding you with information on how to do pentesting.
    It comes with exercises guiding you in the right direction and give you some hands on experience.

You are encouraged to learn why something is working as well as how. But if you are just interested in getting spoonfed you should save the money. Also if you don't want to put effort and some brain work into it, don't take it.

Also as it is stated you should know your way around in Linux as well as some network basics. I guess you could get through without that but you would have to have way more time on hand to learn that too.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

So you get to view the videos over and over even after completion of the course? Having a good review is nice if you forget something.
    Lying is my life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast