Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: #Wireless Connection Issues#

  1. #1
    Just burned his ISO nikkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3

    Default #Wireless Connection Issues#


    Hi everybody,
    I've got an issue for you, which is gonna sound probably stupid.. to the most of you here, but everybody with his talent, right? Ok, check this out, I've installed BackTrack 2 in my USB flash drive, so, I boot it from there without having any problems. My laptop is an HP Pavillion dv2000, and it's wireless network card an Intel 3945ABG PRO (as usual..). I performed the following steps (after I read it from another web page) in order to enable my 3945 card:
    Code:
    Open a console and type:
    
    cd /usr/src/drivers/ipw3945-1.2.0
    
    Hit enter then type
    
    load
    
    Hit enter
    
    Your Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG can now be found at eth1
    
    
    For Those of you that have backtrack2 installed on your hdd. To save typing all that in every time you restart.
    
    Open a console and type
    
    alias 3945="cd /usr/src/drivers/ipw3945-1.2.0"
    
    Hit enter
    
    now all you have to do to enable your Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG is type
    
    3945
    
    Hit enter
    
    load
    
    Hit enter
    
    replace 3945 with whatever keyword you want as I only used it as an example
    After this I run the Wireless Assistant 0.5.5 Application, and voila.. I can find some wireless networks...but I cannot connect to them, I mean, I click on one..and no matter if I enter my network's key it says all the time 'Connection Failed'. I don't know if whatever I told ya above is actually required but I thought to write the whole story once.
    Thanks in advance anyway..


  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nikkie View Post

    Hi everybody,
    I've got an issue for you, which is gonna sound probably stupid.. to the most of you here, but everybody with his talent, right? Ok, check this out, I've installed BackTrack 2 in my USB flash drive, so, I boot it from there without having any problems. My laptop is an HP Pavillion dv2000, and it's wireless network card an Intel 3945ABG PRO (as usual..). I performed the following steps (after I read it from another web page) in order to enable my 3945 card:
    Code:
    Open a console and type:
    
    cd /usr/src/drivers/ipw3945-1.2.0
    
    Hit enter then type
    
    load
    
    Hit enter
    
    Your Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG can now be found at eth1
    
    
    For Those of you that have backtrack2 installed on your hdd. To save typing all that in every time you restart.
    
    Open a console and type
    
    alias 3945="cd /usr/src/drivers/ipw3945-1.2.0"
    
    Hit enter
    
    now all you have to do to enable your Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG is type
    
    3945
    
    Hit enter
    
    load
    
    Hit enter
    
    replace 3945 with whatever keyword you want as I only used it as an example
    After this I run the Wireless Assistant 0.5.5 Application, and voila.. I can find some wireless networks...but I cannot connect to them, I mean, I click on one..and no matter if I enter my network's key it says all the time 'Connection Failed'. I don't know if whatever I told ya above is actually required but I thought to write the whole story once.
    Thanks in advance anyway..

    Drop wireless assistant and do what us pros do.....Use the command line.

    ifconfig <device> down
    iwconfig <device> essid <networknamehere> key <wepKeyhere>
    ifconfig <device> up
    dhcpcd <device>
    [CENTER][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=5][B][COLOR=blue][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]--=[/COLOR][/FONT]Xploitz[FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]=--[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Black][SIZE=6][B] ®[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][SIZE=4][B]Remote-Exploit.orgs Master Tutorialist.[/B][/SIZE][SIZE=6][B]™
    [/B][/SIZE]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=9063"][B]VIDEO: Volume #1 "E-Z No Client WEP Cracking Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=7872"][B]VIDEO: Volume #2 "E-Z No Client Korek Chopchop Attack Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8230"][B]VIDEO: Volume #3 "E-Z WPA/WPA2 Cracking Tutorial"[/B][/URL]

    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8041"][B]VIDEO: Volume #4 "E-Z Cracking WPA/WPA2 With Airolib-ng Databases"[/B][/URL]
    [/CENTER]

  3. #3
    Just burned his ISO nikkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3

    Default

    ""iwconfig <device> essid <networknamehere> key <wepKeyhere>""

    Another question, we're talking about WEP.. my network uses WPA2.
    Is there any change in the command?

    (Also, I just did what you told me and when I'm writing the network key it says:
    "" -bash: syntax error near unexpected token ')' "" )

  4. #4
    Just burned his ISO nikkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Ok, I figured out a couple of beginner things..
    I'm at this point:

    My only problem now is that when I run the wpa_passphrase myNetworkName wpaPassphrase command it says to me this : Passphrase must be 8..63 characters.
    My network's key is 42 characters. How do you explain that ?

  5. #5
    Junior Member Schtekarn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Hi Im having a strange network connecting problem. Im running back Track 2 and Im having problem connecting to a specific wlan.

    For Example if I use the Wireless assistant i can see my wlan, and when i try to connect with the correct WEP key it says "connection failed". Note I get the exact same problem trying to connect to another unprotected wlan.
    I've also tried to connect just though a shell (the "pro" way) and it doesen't work either.

    Now to the wierd part: When i boot BT2 it searches for wlans to connect to and it finds one( the unprotected i mentioned earlier) and connects. So if i try to connect manually to any wlan it doesen't work, but if it finds one itself(unprotected) it works!!

    Help appreciated.

  6. #6
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    13

    Default

    I think i an having the same problem
    I have rebooted my system and used the commands that -=Xploitz=- recommends, but they do not work. Any other ideas ?
    Thanks
    Ralhaz

  7. #7
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2

    Default Connecting to Wireless Networks using IPW3945

    HOPE THIS MAY BE OF USE !!

    I don't know if you have found a fix to your problems, but this is how I connect to my WEP network.

    My Setup
    Device: Dell Latitude D620
    OS: Backtrack 2 Final (installed to HDD)
    Ethernet Adapter: Intel 3945ABG

    1. Log into Backtrack 2 as ROOT.

    2. Go to:
    Menu > Backtrack > Radio Network Analysis > 80211 > ALL > IPW3945

    3. With the Konsole window still open, load Wireless Assistant:
    Menu > Internet > Wireless Assistant

    4. Find your network & click "Connect", either connect using your already configured connection or go through the wizard & create a new connection.

    NOTE !! - making sure that you've got everything corrent. SSID, WEP Key, Open/Shared Key etc.

    5. If it fails to connect, close Wireless Assistant & load IPW3945 again, step 2.

    6. Load Wireless Assistant again (step 3) & click "Connect" again.

    The reason why I've done these simple notes, is because sometimes my adapter wouldn't connect to my wireless network the first time I loaded the IPW3945 driver, but it would the 2nd time. Simple but it worked for me.

    I apologize if these notes are of novice standard, I am fairly new to the Backtrack OS.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
    Ok, I figured out a couple of beginner things..
    I'm at this point:

    My only problem now is that when I run the wpa_passphrase myNetworkName wpaPassphrase command it says to me this : Passphrase must be 8..63 characters.
    My network's key is 42 characters. How do you explain that ?
    Do you have any special characters in your passphrase? If so, have you tried to put a on each extreme end of the passphrase?

    Quote Originally Posted by Schtekarn View Post
    …For Example if I use the Wireless assistant i can see my wlan, and when i try to connect with the correct WEP key it says "connection failed". Note I get the exact same problem trying to connect to another unprotected wlan.
    I've also tried to connect just though a shell (the "pro" way) and it doesen't work either.

    Now to the wierd part: When i boot BT2 it searches for wlans to connect to and it finds one( the unprotected i mentioned earlier) and connects. So if i try to connect manually to any wlan it doesen't work, but if it finds one itself(unprotected) it works!!

    Help appreciated.
    First of all Wireless Assistant is shit, drop it and use the command line and it will spare you a lot of connection issues. Secondly have you tried to issue the following commands before you try to associate to the network:
    Code:
    rm /etc/dhcpc/*
    dhcpcd –k interface
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •