Thread: #Wireless Connection Issues#

Hybrid View

Default #Wireless Connection Issues#

Hi everybody,
    I've got an issue for you, which is gonna sound probably stupid.. to the most of you here, but everybody with his talent, right? Ok, check this out, I've installed BackTrack 2 in my USB flash drive, so, I boot it from there without having any problems. My laptop is an HP Pavillion dv2000, and it's wireless network card an Intel 3945ABG PRO (as usual..). I performed the following steps (after I read it from another web page) in order to enable my 3945 card:
    Code:
    Open a console and type:

cd /usr/src/drivers/ipw3945-1.2.0

Hit enter then type

load

Hit enter

Your Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG can now be found at eth1

For Those of you that have backtrack2 installed on your hdd. To save typing all that in every time you restart.

Open a console and type

alias 3945="cd /usr/src/drivers/ipw3945-1.2.0"

Hit enter

now all you have to do to enable your Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG is type

Hit enter

load

Hit enter

replace 3945 with whatever keyword you want as I only used it as an example
    After this I run the Wireless Assistant 0.5.5 Application, and voila.. I can find some wireless networks...but I cannot connect to them, I mean, I click on one..and no matter if I enter my network's key it says all the time 'Connection Failed'. I don't know if whatever I told ya above is actually required but I thought to write the whole story once.
    Thanks in advance anyway..

Quote Originally Posted by nikkie View Post

Hi everybody,
    I've got an issue for you, which is gonna sound probably stupid.. to the most of you here, but everybody with his talent, right? Ok, check this out, I've installed BackTrack 2 in my USB flash drive, so, I boot it from there without having any problems. My laptop is an HP Pavillion dv2000, and it's wireless network card an Intel 3945ABG PRO (as usual..). I performed the following steps (after I read it from another web page) in order to enable my 3945 card:
    Code:
    Open a console and type:

cd /usr/src/drivers/ipw3945-1.2.0

Hit enter then type

load

Hit enter

Your Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG can now be found at eth1

For Those of you that have backtrack2 installed on your hdd. To save typing all that in every time you restart.

Open a console and type

alias 3945="cd /usr/src/drivers/ipw3945-1.2.0"

Hit enter

now all you have to do to enable your Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG is type

Hit enter

load

Hit enter

replace 3945 with whatever keyword you want as I only used it as an example
    After this I run the Wireless Assistant 0.5.5 Application, and voila.. I can find some wireless networks...but I cannot connect to them, I mean, I click on one..and no matter if I enter my network's key it says all the time 'Connection Failed'. I don't know if whatever I told ya above is actually required but I thought to write the whole story once.
    Thanks in advance anyway..

Drop wireless assistant and do what us pros do.....Use the command line.

ifconfig <device> down
    iwconfig <device> essid <networknamehere> key <wepKeyhere>
    ifconfig <device> up
    dhcpcd <device>
    [CENTER][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=5][B][COLOR=blue][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]--=[/COLOR][/FONT]Xploitz[FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]=--[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Black][SIZE=6][B] ®[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][SIZE=4][B]Remote-Exploit.orgs Master Tutorialist.[/B][/SIZE][SIZE=6][B]™
    [/B][/SIZE]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=9063"][B]VIDEO: Volume #1 "E-Z No Client WEP Cracking Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=7872"][B]VIDEO: Volume #2 "E-Z No Client Korek Chopchop Attack Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8230"][B]VIDEO: Volume #3 "E-Z WPA/WPA2 Cracking Tutorial"[/B][/URL]

[URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8041"][B]VIDEO: Volume #4 "E-Z Cracking WPA/WPA2 With Airolib-ng Databases"[/B][/URL]
    [/CENTER]

""iwconfig <device> essid <networknamehere> key <wepKeyhere>""

Another question, we're talking about WEP.. my network uses WPA2.
    Is there any change in the command?

(Also, I just did what you told me and when I'm writing the network key it says:
    "" -bash: syntax error near unexpected token ')' "" )

Ok, I figured out a couple of beginner things..
    I'm at this point:

My only problem now is that when I run the wpa_passphrase myNetworkName wpaPassphrase command it says to me this : Passphrase must be 8..63 characters.
    My network's key is 42 characters. How do you explain that ?

Hi Im having a strange network connecting problem. Im running back Track 2 and Im having problem connecting to a specific wlan.

For Example if I use the Wireless assistant i can see my wlan, and when i try to connect with the correct WEP key it says "connection failed". Note I get the exact same problem trying to connect to another unprotected wlan.
    I've also tried to connect just though a shell (the "pro" way) and it doesen't work either.

Now to the wierd part: When i boot BT2 it searches for wlans to connect to and it finds one( the unprotected i mentioned earlier) and connects. So if i try to connect manually to any wlan it doesen't work, but if it finds one itself(unprotected) it works!!

Help appreciated.

Just burned his ISO

I think i an having the same problem
    I have rebooted my system and used the commands that -=Xploitz=- recommends, but they do not work. Any other ideas ?
    Thanks
    Ralhaz