Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TriBooting ubuntu+bt2+xppro heres how. ;)

Just burned his ISO

Default TriBooting ubuntu+bt2+xppro heres how. ;)

Tutorial Updated;

Just burned his ISO

Talking what tha

I'm a bit lost.. but why would you need all three of these operating system? I would just install XP and then BT2.. i mean for the most part BT2 does mostly what Ubuntu does and if you really like linux then just go to ubuntu and use BT2 livecd.. its best to have another computer with minimal hardware specs and couple of good network cards..I mean BT2 is mostly used for some king of penetration or hacking as we say it.. so why not have it always running and protecting your network.. if you 3 boot then you can only use one OS at a time.. I mean damn fine job on figuring out how to do it but its just one those when someone tells you hey! i can ride a bicycle with my head and ur like nice.. but wtf?

I'm just saying..

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

if i must choose 2 OS, its

1 ubuntu + virtual machine xp
    2 bt2
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

Just burned his ISO

UPDATE ok i replaced the tutorial at the bottem "if your logged in or at the top if your not logged in"

eh well the reason i put this on here is cuz. iv seen alot of posts on the net about tri booting ubuntu bt2 and xp with no one figuring it out.. so i figured id put it on here. but hay its usfull if you have the hdd space to spare. plus that id rather not use a vm takes up to meny system resources .. i just use ubuntu as my primary os for web email stuff like that bt2 for pentesting. and xp for gaming .. so it all works out pretty good plus that this gives ppl a chance to become more acquainted with the Grub bootloader since when i looked around this forum not alot of ppl knew much about it .. theres alot of great sites on google for learning the grub bootloader.

i think ill edit it and make it look better. more esthetically pleasing to the eye ..
    My Tutorials::
    :Tribooting Ubuntu+BT2+XP Tutorial:
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/tutorials-guides/7863-tribooting-ubuntu-bt2-xppro-heres-how.html
    :Booting Backtrack3 from Pendrive HOSTED ON REMOTE-EXPLOIT.ORG "theprez98" thanks for the suport:
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/bt3beta-general/12696-bt3-pendrive-using-only-windows-tut.html

Just burned his ISO

Default Triboot tutorial continued

--+editing your Grub bootloader to boot all 3 os's

Ok now that we have everything setup reboot with your bt2 live cd make sure /dev/hda1 is mounted and find the /boot folder in hda1 now find the /grub folder and find menu.lst open it with kwrite the part your looking for is at the bottem it will look like this. “ an easy way to do this is” is to open the konqure explorer and enter the hda1 and go into /boot/grub and open menu.lst with kwrite.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++
    ## ## End Default Options ##

title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-15-generic
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-15-generic root=UUID=be426728-3068-4660-a51c-f6ba3d8a060b ro quiet splash
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-15-generic
    quiet
    savedefault

title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-15-generic (recovery mode)
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-15-generic root=UUID=be426728-3068-4660-a51c-f6ba3d8a060b ro single
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-15-generic

title Ubuntu, memtest86+
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin
    quiet

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

# This is a divider, added to separate the menu items below from the Debian
    # ones.
    title Other operating systems:
    root

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
    # on /dev/hda3
    title Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
    root (hd0,2)
    savedefault
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

Ocybress .. my BT2 install isint listed here whats going on..

Ok notice BT2 is no ware to be found in this file.. well this is what took me forever to figure out how to configure correctly. Put this where ever you wont under the windows boot or above it.

title BackTrack 2 Final "or what ever you wont to call it."
    rootnoverify (hd0,1)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 <---- this will make it to ware you don't have kernel panics
    initrd /boot/splash.initrd <------------- insted of initrd.img use this..
    chainloader +1 <---------- this tells grub to use the boot loader provided on block one of that partitions mbr Lilo.

so now the bottom of your menu.lst should look like this

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

# This is a divider, added to separate the menu items below from the Debian
    # ones.
    title Other operating systems:
    root

title BackTrack
    rootnoverify (hd0,1)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2
    initrd /boot/splash.initrd
    chainloader +1

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
    # on /dev/hda3
    title Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
    root (hd0,2)
    savedefault
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

Now click save and reboot and make sure all your os's boot properly
    Have fun with Triboot hope this helps some..

TIPS

TIP:1: when your partitioning with ubuntu dont set hda2 as /boot ubuntu will install its grub bootloader on hda2 you wont all ubunut on hda1 bt2 on hda2 and windows on hda3

TIP::2:: if you need to reverse the install of ubuntu and BT2 "install BT2 first then Ubuntu" this helps sometimes.

TIP:::3::: just figured out that ubuntu might freak out on you when booting this way .. just hit Crtl+D to resume boot. and all should be good.

Credits

thanks to anyone and everyone that has helped me evin with small commands and pointing me in the right direction. and yes thanks to the ppl who flamed me for bing a newb to linux but hay at least some newbs learn fast. give them a chance and dont flame them for asking a few Q. in other words Thanks to the whole linux Community especially BT2.

have fun
    OCybress
    any Q or Comments please feel free.
    Email : Ocybress@gmail.com
    MSN Ocybress@kc.rr.com
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/tutorials-guides/7863-tribooting-ubuntu-bt2-xppro-heres-how.html
    :Booting Backtrack3 from Pendrive HOSTED ON REMOTE-EXPLOIT.ORG "theprez98" thanks for the suport:
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/bt3beta-general/12696-bt3-pendrive-using-only-windows-tut.html

Just burned his ISO

Contents
    +Introduction
    +Setting up your hdd
    --+using mount to figure out what your hdd is listed as.
    --+using umount to unmount your hdd for partitioning
    --+using Fdisk to partition your hdd
    +Installing windows of choice
    --+installing windows for newbs just incase
    +Installing Ubuntu
    --+running install from desktop live cd. and configuring Partitions in Ubuntu.
    +Installing BackTrack 2 Final
    --+unmounting your hdd “again”
    --+setting up hda# as ext2
    --+installing BackTrack 2 Final with BT2installer GUI
    --+editing your Grub bootloader to boot all 3 os's
    +Tips
    +Credits
    --+All the ppl who helped and who flustrated me enough to get this done.

Ok first let me introduce myself iv mainly been a windows guru and have tried to transition to linux a few times but never really succeeded. This time i think I'v succeeded in aiding some help to the community if only a small tidbit of information.

After a few days of messing around with all 3 os's and the grub bootloader “witch a great tutorial on how to configure the Grub bootloader can be found here :

h**p://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p15.htm#Operating_System_Entries_for_Multiple_Boot ing_More_Linux_Systems

this is how i figured out how to Triboot all 3 os's and BT2 loads without having a kernel panic. But Ocybress why would i wont to boot all 3 os's couldnt i just use a VM .. yes you could but VM's allso take up a lot of system resouces. so for this you could use Ubuntu for your main os or if your a windows freak then you could use Ubuntu to learn the basics of linux. Windows for your games and other misc stuff. and BT2 for pentesting your network or other things .. in no way is this tutorial going to teach you how to hack. with BT2 so please dont email me asking me how to hack something or how to use a certen program in BT2 for hacking .. im still learning as well so i dont know. and evin if i did i wouldnt wont to be the one responsible for some kid getting in trouble for hacking someones computer.

Ok finaly heres how to do it. in a nut shell. All commands are red, comments in commands are green.
    This is not done down to a perfect drop of a dime so some of this may look odd to a linux guru but this is just how i did it.

+Setting up your hdd
    --+using mount to figure out what your hdd is listed as.

First you need to setup your partitions.. I decided to do this on a WD80G. First boot with your backtrack 2 live cd. Let it all load up when you get to the login screen login don't start the xserver yet..
    First you need to umount all hdds so in my case since this drive hasnt been setup yet and is known as hda so in the command line type

bt~#mount

and youll get something like this.
    /dev/hda “somthing like this”
    ok now that we have determind what your hdd is listed as type this in your command line.

--+using umount to unmount your hdd for partitioning

bt~#umount /dev/hda

ok now that your hdd has been unmounted and is ready type this command

bt~#fdisk /dev/"yourhdd" “in my case it would be hda”

you will get a screen that looks like this when it says “Command (m for help): type p to list your hdd partitions

The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 9729.
    There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
    and could in certain setups cause problems with:
    1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)
    2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
    (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/hda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/hda1 1 1885 15141231 83 Linux
    /dev/hda2 1886 3770 15141262+ 83 Linux
    /dev/hda3 3771 5655 15141262+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/hda4 5656 9729 32724405 b W95 FAT32

Command (m for help):
    in mycase this rig is already setup so you should see no partitions in this section if you havnt setup your hdd with partitions yet if you wont to completely delete all your partitions on the drive and start over in the command type d and the partition # and do this tell there are no partitions.

ok so lets set this up.
    for new partition type n
    then type primary p

"then type 1-4 for the partitions you wont in my case i have 4 first is obviously 1 and so on tell we hit 4 partitions"

Enter
    type this after hiting enter +15500M

and do that for the first 3 drives so you have an evin 15g per os. i chose not to make a swap partition cuz i have more than enough ram. and for the last of if you wont to use the rest of your hdd for storage.

n
    p
    enter
    enter

ok now that you have all your partitions setup if you wont you can use the last of the space you have for a swap just hit

t
    82 "hex number for swap"
    enter

ok now type

w

and it will rewrite your partition tables with the new ones if it tells you you need to reboot goahead you going to reboot anyway.

+Installing windows of choice
    --+installing windows for newbs just incase

Ok now after we reboot insert your windows install of choice. mine was xp pro 64bit
    when the prompt
    hit anykey to boot CD....
    goahead and hit any key on the keyboard let it load all the drivers. hit enter when it says setup windows xp. if theres a ula hit F8 to accept. then it will present you with what partitions xp can install and format you wont to select your 3rd partition for this is ware were installing windows. accept it tell it to format the hdd with ntfs if you wont Ubuntu will be able to read it.

after installing windows make sure you can boot windows and configure it the way you like your windows. now reboot.

+Installing Ubuntu
    --+running install from desktop live cd. and configuring Partitions in Ubuntu

Ok put in your ubuntu live cd in and let it boot up. now when the desktop is booted click on the install icon on your desktop it will bring up a setup manager. Click through it and when you get to the partition manager click on manual then it will present you with what partitions are available and what there extension are eg ext2 ext3 ntfs dos and so on.. Click on the first partition “hda1” and set it to your fav file system i used ext2 set it to / “witch is root”
    do the same for the this is a workaround cuz ubuntu crys bout you not setting the other partition info .. so go aghead and set that one up the same way cept set it up for a dos partition or something “will fix this later”. Click on foreword and it will cry about not having a swap if you don't wont one just click continue ok let it do its thing.. may take a while. so sit back have a cig a shot take a crap do what ever.

+Installing BackTrack 2 Final
    --+unmounting your hdd “again”

now once thats done reboot with bt2 live cd. make sure /dev/hda2 is unmounted and do this. :since you allready have ubuntu installed everything on ubuntu should be installed on hda1 including the grub bootloader"

--+setting up hda# as ext2

ok in this case hda# is hda2
    type this in your terminal or befor you start your x server.

bt~#mkfs.ext2 /dev/hda2
    let it do its thing.

--+installing BackTrack 2 Final with BT2installer GUI

now open up the bt2 installer Kmenu>system>backtrack 2 installer and install backtrack 2 to /mnt/hda2 and write mbr to /dev/hda2
    leave source cd blank. let it do its thing. it will sit at 81% for a while its a big file.

Nice tutorial, I am trying it right now...

Default Kernel Panic

Doing this is really easy/obvious if you have used Grub before, but I got held up on it (grrrr....)

But I got it to work finally, any one who is getting the Kernel Panic error, try the following for your grub:
    (if you are sda2, else change for you....)

title BackTrack
    rootnoverify (hd0,2)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz vga=791 root=/dev/hda2
    initrd /boot/splash.initrd
    chainloader +1

Moving to tutorial section. Good work OCybress.
    [CENTER][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=5][B][COLOR=blue][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]--=[/COLOR][/FONT]Xploitz[FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]=--[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Black][SIZE=6][B] ®[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][SIZE=4][B]Remote-Exploit.orgs Master Tutorialist.[/B][/SIZE][SIZE=6][B]™
    [/B][/SIZE]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=9063"][B]VIDEO: Volume #1 "E-Z No Client WEP Cracking Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=7872"][B]VIDEO: Volume #2 "E-Z No Client Korek Chopchop Attack Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8230"][B]VIDEO: Volume #3 "E-Z WPA/WPA2 Cracking Tutorial"[/B][/URL]

[URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8041"][B]VIDEO: Volume #4 "E-Z Cracking WPA/WPA2 With Airolib-ng Databases"[/B][/URL]
    [/CENTER]

I also recently installed the same triple boot, plus a FAT32 partition to use as a shared storage. Here's how I did it:

1) Installed WinXP first, by erasing the whole disc and then making a partition (NTFS) for Windows (I made 40Gb of a 120Gb disc...hda1)

2) I took a Freespire disc that has G-Parted partitioning program in the boot menu, and then with that created 2 partitions: one for BT2 ( 15 GB EXT3 partition...hda2)and one for the sharted storage (50GB FAT32 partition...hda3). The remaining 15GB was left unformatted and left for Kubuntu.

3) Installed BT2 on hda2.

4)Install Kubuntu by selecting the option to "Install on largest contiguous free space". This will automaticall install Kubuntu on the remaining 15 GB that I previously left unformatted.

5) On re-booting the GRUB bootloader showed all 3 OS, but BT2 wouldn't load correctly. I went into the GRUB menu (/boot/grub/menu.lst) and edited the menu.lst by copy/paste:

###End Debian...........
    title BackTrack
    rootnoverify (hd0,1)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz vga=791 root=/dev/hda4 ro
    boot

And it worked

I'm a relative newbie at Linux, so I got hung up a little at places:

-Didn't know the difference between LILO and GRUB bootloader. BT2 has LILO and Ubuntu has GRUB. The OS you install last will overwrite the bootloader (ie: I installed Kubuntu last to have the GRUB bootloader).

-had to figure out hda2=hd(0,1)

It took me a day or 2 of messing around, since I didn't know what I was doing, but it was a great learing experience, and if I have to do it again, it will surely (hopefully ) be easier the next time around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast