Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Linux is using Windows components secretly, oh noes

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by PeppersGhost View Post
    Funny, for a guy who think's Al Gore made the internet. Maybe you thought I said Linux was a webserver.
    Al Gore did invent the inturweb, just ask him, he'll tell you.

For some, Linux has already replaced Windoze. Most servers on the Internet are not Windoze. I here that the big Goo uses all Linux. As well as others.
    Most servers on the internet are not Windoze, well if it's on the internet, the chances are, it's a webserver, as webservers out number legitimate mail servers.

My point remains the same though, there's more to needing a computer than hosting webservices. While linux may be great in that, it's poor (pisspoor) in other functions.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

I agree streaker.
    <EeePc 1000HA BT4/W7 USB boot Alfa500 GPS BlueTooth>

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Exchange Server is not that tough to Administer, I don't know why people think that it is. When I started the job I'm at now, I had only worked with Exchange briefly in previous places. My first week there I had reconfigured Exchanged that stemmed the flow of spam almost 90%. The remaining 9% of spam was picked up by using a third party product.

Barry, if you need help with Exchange at the new job, give me a ring, I'll give you some pointers.
    Yea, I might do that. Maybe I'll get lucky and just be computer support and not a sys-admin.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Yea, I might do that. Maybe I'll get lucky and just be computer support and not a sys-admin.
    You mean there not the same? Geez, I gotta hire an assistant so I can make them computer support.

Evil HR director comes into my office today and says "do you know why my computer would be making a hum". I look at her and flatly say "umm, because it doesn't know the words?" (ba dum bump).

She didn't get it, she had never heard that joke before.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    Another thing about the government and military at least in the US
    When they need it to be a user friendly computer for the average worker / soldier they use MS. When they want it to be secure or they want to make two pieces of equipment "talk to each other" they use *nix.
    In my job I use MS powerpoint slide to give presentations on *nix based platforms.
    MS Powerpoint to give presentations for *nix based servers is a good example for the need of different OS'. Its funny how it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Vista, much like MS Bob and WinME is a big pile of shit. XP is a good OS, it's fairly stable, as is Win2k3. Win2k IMO, has some issues with memory management, but XP and 2k3 seems to be an improvement.
    Aye, Win2k [for me] kept doing memory dumps and BSoD's, this happened 2 days after a fresh install with all correct drivers while creating a map for a game called Operation Flashpoint, which was all I did for a while when I had no internet connection.

Quote Originally Posted by PeppersGhost View Post
    Funny, for a guy who think's Al Gore made the internet. Maybe you thought I said Linux was a webserver.
    Hah! I forgot about that dead badger with a linux probe up its arse!

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

MS Powerpoint to give presentations for *nix based servers is a good example for the need of different OS'. Its funny how it works out.
    So not only do I have to know the platform that I am doing a presentation about but then I have to turn around and put it into a "nice pretty package" with all the "bells and whistles" attatched that a layperson can understand.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    So not only do I have to know the platform that I am doing a presentation about but then I have to turn around and put it into a "nice pretty package" with all the "bells and whistles" attatched that a layperson can understand.
    The last PPT that I put together had a slide regarding what happens during a broadcast storm. I used the fight music from the original Star Trek Series for that slide.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234