Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Linux is using Windows components secretly, oh noes

Being a multi-os guy myself, I'll go in the record as saying all operating systems suck ass in some way or another. They also shine in others. It really comes down to what you want to do. I hope I'll never have to deal with a ms exchange server, though I know I probably will in my next job, what ever that will be. We currently don't use one and get along just fine. Though to be honest I think there's only about 100 or so windows machines on our network. The other 8,000 or so are a mix of Mac and Linux machines. Mostly Mac. Our mail server is a Linux box. In the long run it's best to be a multi-os user. Worked out pretty good for me so far.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Being a multi-os guy myself, I'll go in the record as saying all operating systems suck ass in some way or another. They also shine in others. It really comes down to what you want to do. I hope I'll never have to deal with a ms exchange server, though I know I probably will in my next job, what ever that will be. We currently don't use one and get along just fine. Though to be honest I think there's only about 100 or so windows machines on our network. The other 8,000 or so are a mix of Mac and Linux machines. Mostly Mac. Our mail server is a Linux box. In the long run it's best to be a multi-os user. Worked out pretty good for me so far.
    Exchange Server is not that tough to Administer, I don't know why people think that it is. When I started the job I'm at now, I had only worked with Exchange briefly in previous places. My first week there I had reconfigured Exchanged that stemmed the flow of spam almost 90%. The remaining 9% of spam was picked up by using a third party product.

Barry, if you need help with Exchange at the new job, give me a ring, I'll give you some pointers.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy90 View Post
    @The_Denv: sorry didn't mean outlook, meant exchange server, something that is inherently tied to a directory structure and just as configurable (if not a bit stupidly designed sometimes, i mean come on, AD with exchange plugin vs exchange system manager, really what is the point).
    Yeh I guess its the whole monolopy that M$ has on the world that makes people unknownly hate them for no reason and without judgement. I like Windows, but for me Windows is great for entertainment, films and games. Linux for me is great for networking and 'taking' care of the the kids [M$ Stations]. Although since 2005-2006 my network was changed in the house from a multi-OS network, to a plain average house hold DSL Router and my computers where all junk and broken...all I have at the minute is a laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Sounds like a good mix you got there, the way I think of Multi-OS networks could be described like a 'family', UNIX/Linux would be the parents and anything other than UNIX/Linux should be considered as the children as these stations can be used to create multiple forms of entertainment that UNIX/Linux can not provide.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Denv View Post
    Yeh I guess its the whole monolopy that M$ has on the world that makes people unknownly hate them for no reason and without judgement. I like Windows, but for me Windows is great for entertainment, films and games. Linux for me is great for networking and 'taking' care of the the kids [M$ Stations]. Although since 2005-2006 my network was changed in the house from a multi-OS network, to a plain average house hold DSL Router and my computers where all junk and broken...all I have at the minute is a laptop.

Sounds like a good mix you got there, the way I think of Multi-OS networks could be described like a 'family', UNIX/Linux would be the parents and anything other than UNIX/Linux should be considered as the children as these stations can be used to create multiple forms of entertainment that UNIX/Linux can not provide.
    Where you see a monopoly, many see capitalism, which for some reason is hated. If you want to hate a monopoly, how about putting that effort in the Electric, Cable and Telephone companies, they truely fit the definition of a monopoly. Microsoft makes several products, with several competitors in the field.

I cannot call up Joe's Electric company and get service if I get fed up with the company that I have. The phone companies are only now getting true competition from VoIP providers, but that's only feeding the cable companies even more of the market share, since it's kind of pointless to go with a VoIP provider if you have DSL.

I think much of the animosity that people hold for MS is due to jealousy. Jealous that such a 'weenie' of a guy has so much money. But he had a vision, he had the drive and he had the intelligence, and the means to make a #1 company in the market. That's what capitalism is about. MS employs thousands of people across the world, which is a good thing, since after all, you generally don't get paid to write OSS software. People need jobs, they provide them, and let's not even mention the millions that the Gates family gives to charity each year. If I recall, they're one of the largest contributors over most wealthy families in the US.

My personal opinion, all OS's have a use. I run primarily Windows machines at my office, and that's because is what is required to do what we do. There is no OSS alternative that is able to do the things to run our Process. There is no OSS LIMS software, nor is there a decent Customer Utility Billing package, nor General Ledger. So we, as with many other companies must use Windows.

I do have two OSS machines running, one is CentOS and the other is FreeBSD, and they're running something that they're good at, and Windows isn't. I considered running another OSS machine to run Asterisk because I considered setting up my own VoIP PBX system using the TrixBox Distro. I left that idea after spending time on the forums there, it has too many strange problems, IMO. Instead, we're going to be putting out an RFP for VoIP installation sometime this year.

I guess that's enough for now. The general point is, that the MS isn't going away anytime soon, they will dominate the market probably for the next 100 years or so, or at least until the earth gets hit by an asteroid that we didn't think was going to hit because Windows can't calculate time properly.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Yeh I would agree, I think you may have interpreted my post a little bit, as I wasn't blaming the monopoly.. "Yeh I guess its the whole monolopy that M$ has on the world that makes people unknownly hate them for no reason and without judgement"...I was trying to more or less say I dont know why they dont like them and that I guess it was because of the monopoly that they had because their systems where on demand more because they were better for commercial, government and military usage.

I guess I either worded that post wrong or you interpreted wrong, this happens a lot on the net. People [includding myself] get the wrong opinion of what others are saying. Its an easy mistake to make too lol

Anyway, no hard feelings.

Yeh I would agree, I think you may have interpreted my post a little bit, as I wasn't blaming the monopoly.. "Yeh I guess its the whole monolopy that M$ has on the world that makes people unknownly hate them for no reason and without judgement"...I was trying to more or less say I dont know why they dont like them and that I guess it was because of the monopoly that they had because their systems where on demand more because they were better for commercial, government and military usage.

I guess I either worded that post wrong or you interpreted wrong, this happens a lot on the net. People [includding myself] get the wrong opinion of what others are saying. Its an easy mistake to make too lol

Anyway, no hard feelings.
    Nope, no hard feelings.

I remember way back when MS was first growing and the Computer Shopper had advertisements for them like mad. Microsoft because of their vision with marketing and their ability to see good ideas that others hand (and buy them when needed, and yes, I know, not always for a fair price, but that's really the fault of the seller isn't it?) and develop them into a working product.

It would seem that much of the sour grapes stemming from MS early days are people who didn't have the same vision that Bill Gates had and failed to see the bigger picture that he did. He's a very intelligent person.

Of course like anything Windows had it's growing pains, and had it's problems. After all finally now that WinXP is out, my mother has finally found a use for a computer, and I've been into computers since '82.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Nope, no hard feelings.

I remember way back when MS was first growing and the Computer Shopper had advertisements for them like mad. Microsoft because of their vision with marketing and their ability to see good ideas that others hand (and buy them when needed, and yes, I know, not always for a fair price, but that's really the fault of the seller isn't it?) and develop them into a working product.

It would seem that much of the sour grapes stemming from MS early days are people who didn't have the same vision that Bill Gates had and failed to see the bigger picture that he did. He's a very intelligent person.

Of course like anything Windows had it's growing pains, and had it's problems. After all finally now that WinXP is out, my mother has finally found a use for a computer, and I've been into computers since '82.
    They do know how to market alright, but with Vista as you know it's all about the investers and a pretty face. I have to admit though that I was put off by Vista but I really like WinXP. Yeh Bill is intelligent, for me though he has just been a name as I have never actually watched a video with him in it to see what type of person he is outside M$...but from his 'M.O' I can tell the guy has his head screwed on for sure. He donates to charity which is nice.

'82? You must have had a hell of a lot of fun back then, I know I would have. I only started in the late 90's and missed the whole evolution phase and the first time hacking/phreaking was mentioned in the press...then again I would have loved to be back in '69

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

I was trying to more or less say I dont know why they dont like them and that I guess it was because of the monopoly that they had because their systems where on demand more because they were better for commercial, government and military usage.

Another thing about the government and military at least in the US
    When they need it to be a user friendly computer for the average worker / soldier they use MS. When they want it to be secure or they want to make two pieces of equipment "talk to each other" they use *nix.
    In my job I use MS powerpoint slide to give presentations on *nix based platforms.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

They do know how to market alright, but with Vista as you know it's all about the investers and a pretty face. I have to admit though that I was put off by Vista but I really like WinXP. Yeh Bill is intelligent, for me though he has just been a name as I have never actually watched a video with him in it to see what type of person he is outside M$...but from his 'M.O' I can tell the guy has his head screwed on for sure. He donates to charity which is nice.

'82? You must have had a hell of a lot of fun back then, I know I would have. I only started in the late 90's and missed the whole evolution phase and the first time hacking/phreaking was mentioned in the press...then again I would have loved to be back in '69
    Vista, much like MS Bob and WinME is a big pile of shit. XP is a good OS, it's fairly stable, as is Win2k3. Win2k IMO, has some issues with memory management, but XP and 2k3 seems to be an improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Great Linux is a web server, but then, a dead badger could be a webserver.

Believe it or not, in the real world, computers are used for more things than webservers. There's life outside the tubes of the inturweb, I suggest you investigate that.
    Funny, for a guy who think's Al Gore made the internet. Maybe you thought I said Linux was a webserver.
    <EeePc 1000HA BT4/W7 USB boot Alfa500 GPS BlueTooth>

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast