Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Linux is using Windows components secretly, oh noes

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Find me a piece of RELIABLE OSS software that is able to run my plant and I'll believe that. Linux has a niche, and that's it. When it comes to a production environment, meaning things like process control there just isn't the support that's needed by the industry.
    Yeh you are right about Linux being a niche, but it can do most operations that a Windows box can do. To a certain extent is can run high quality games such as 'EVE-Online' and Battlefield, although as you said 'its a niche', and it is...but so is Windows.

Then I guess Linux will not dominate Windows for quite sometime, but most retail [franchised] outlets use Linux, FedoraCore [from what I have seen in Northern Ireland].

EDIT: Andy, Linux does use Outlook equivalent... within my NetBSD account; 'pine' works quite well for my needs. [Also heard of Linux Evolution]?

Seriously, I am glad that Linux doesn't get the attention of everyone. There are too many out there not understanding how to use Windows, guess what would happen if they'd switch to Linux.

I think the only real breakthrough might come if there would be a M$ Linux. No idea where the Novel deal will end in but it might be something they had in mind.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

For some, Linux has already replaced Windoze. Most servers on the Internet are not Windoze. I here that the big Goo uses all Linux. As well as others.
    <EeePc 1000HA BT4/W7 USB boot Alfa500 GPS BlueTooth>

IMO we're still kind of in an archaic time for mainstream personal computing. Right now most if not all computer manufacturers still rely on fat commissions from M$ to push their OS's, which gives little to no motivation for branding their own open source flavors or integrating existing platforms, where they would be obligated to provide support. The cost benefit factor just isn't there for personal computers.

Mobile phones on the other hand is a completely different story. We're seeing more and more phone and chip manufacturers looking towards open source as an alternative to the dominating WinCE. The operating systems for these devices involve somewhat complex integration with the hardware they're running (or are going to run), but for the end user managing the device and it's software aren't going to be a difficult task.

This is a huge leap for open source that I'm sure will push new standards to the personal computing industry, since more people own mobile phones than computers. Will the open source popularity as a primary mobile phone OS cross over to mainstream computing?

If hardware manufacturers had a system in place to support a *nix based personal computer or enterprise workstation, either for a nominal fee or as an added cost, I'm sure that more people and businesses would be inclined to switch from M$. I'd be willing to bet that in the future we just may see more companies like the Geek Squad popping up for this very purpose.

It seems to me that more support is needed for the software that runs on an OS more than the operating system itself, at least in my experiences I've had to spend an ugly ratio on the phone with the software companies other than M$ or for *nix based web servers.

And to be honest, I get tired of managing both *nix and M$.
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

More speaking of the regular desktops than servers.

For the basic computer user Linux is still too much reading to get it to work the way he wants it to.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by PeppersGhost View Post
    For some, Linux has already replaced Windoze. Most servers on the Internet are not Windoze. I here that the big Goo uses all Linux. As well as others.
    Great Linux is a web server, but then, a dead badger could be a webserver.

Believe it or not, in the real world, computers are used for more things than webservers. There's life outside the tubes of the inturweb, I suggest you investigate that.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Developer

I just ordered a dead badger from Ebay and I will be porting linux to it as soon as it arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    I just ordered a dead badger from Ebay and I will be porting linux to it as soon as it arrives.
    But as a desktop not a webserver won't you?
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Quote Originally Posted by Andy90 View Post
    Until linux has an outlook equiv, and something as centralised as active directory I cant see it ever being main stream, the council I work at has a mere 500 computers, and they are both essential !
    Both of these things already exist. As far as an "outlook equiv", there are several that a quick search brings up:
    - Thunderbird from mozilla.org
    - Evolution from Gnome.org project
    - Kontact from kde.org project

Active Directory is actually a MS derivative of LDAP (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol.) There is plenty of information available on how to setup LDAP for Linux machines.

While I think that for a lot of different reasons, MS owns the average user's desktop machine, and will do so for the foreseeable future, there are alternatives for many MS programs if you are willing to look for them.

For the record, I've used a variety of OSs over the past 35 years, and none has been perfect. Citing Sturgeon's Law, most of them are crud. While Linux is better than many in a lot of areas, it is hardly the panacea that many of the "Linux Religious Fanatics" espouse it to be, and Windows is far better than many of those same people would every admit. Both OSs have their flaws and their advantages.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

@The_Denv: sorry didn't mean outlook, meant exchange server, something that is inherently tied to a directory structure and just as configurable (if not a bit stupidly designed sometimes, i mean come on, AD with exchange plugin vs exchange system manager, really what is the point).
    &#119;&#116;&#102;&#63;

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast