Thread: Greetings

Just burned his ISO

Default Greetings

I wanted to take this opportunity to introduce myself. I am your new newb. I've been a Windows System Engineer for 10 years now. I have been dabbling in security and linux for about 4-5 years of those 10. I just passed my CISSP and am working toward a career in pen test. I"m tired of administration and want to get more into the guts of CS and programming. Bear with me I am a social person and have a tendency to ask people before machines to save time. But for the purposes of learning these very important skills I will quell my natural instincts, grow a unix beard, buy a case of code red mt. dew, and will forfeit my social life so I can spend more time reading man pages and cryptic code comments so I can learn to talk to machines better and humans worse.

Newb things I've done lately:

1. Followed Muts instructional video on how to install BT2 in a dual boot configuration and qtfarted on my Vista NTFS partition due to a bug in the way that the tools that are used set drive parameters when resizing.

2. Have currently spent the past 48 hours researching on google to see if there's a way to repair said newb mistake (doesn't look good as of this writing). Oh wait... that's not newb.

3. Am going to have to resort to using some of the forensics tools to recover some of the data because I didn't back up. OH NO... I blew away my Vista Home Premium partition!!

Anyway... I look forward to lurking for the next 6 months to 1 year until I'm smart enough to ask the appropriate questions and receive intelligent answers.

Yours Truly,

mac....

Developer

Welcome to the remote-exploit forums. I have bt2 installed on a dualboot vista laptop and many other people do too so It is not that hard. Once you gate your vista recovered post whatever problem you are having and we will try to help.

Welcome macroburn,

It's allways nice to get more people capable of explaining themselves in an understandable way
    Besides that these forums are really nice, both for troubleshooting (when you search) and also about the recent news etc.
    [quote][I]I realized, that I had fallen down from the top of the mountain into a deep, terrifying and dark hole, just to find out that another mountain in front of me, much greater than the previous, was the next step in life. I began to wander uphill on the next mountain of life while I knew it would be much harder than the previous mountain. [/I]- MaXe[/quote]

Thumbs up

Hello macro,

Welcome to the forums! Your one of few who have actually introduced themselves without making an idiot of themselves

Enjoy your stay and I hope you like it here as much as the rest of us do.

Just burned his ISO

I was able to recover my data using TestDisk on the Parted Magic Live CD and an external USB drive. Attempts to repair the mbr were successfull but I'm fairly certain that the filesystem became corrupted because windows startup vista repair saw no files in the c: drive. Chkdsk found many index errors which I chose not to repair given it's reputation for data loss. I'm going to tool around my drive with TestDisk some more to make sure I didn't miss anything and then attempt a repair with chkdsk but I have very little faith in it's ability to fix the issue. We'll see...

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I really appreciate the enormous amount of information that you've already shared here in the forums and I've been gobbling it up like it's going out of style.

Peace in your middle crease,

tdt

Just burned his ISO

Thumbs up

I was able to successfully install BT3 and Windows Vista in a dual boot config using lilo.

When I recovered Vista I left an amount of the drive unallocated and created partitions as suggested in Muts tutorial but used the Parted Magic LiveCD rather than QTParted. I still have 10GB of my drive unallocated to install Ubuntu Desktop 7.1 for a triple boot configuration. That's the next project. Happy Days I've learned a ton in the past week. The unsuccessful resize was a blessing in disguise.

For the record I chose to use ext2 for my root partition rather than reiserfs as there appears to be some issues (from my research) with fragmentation.

Welcome to the boards macro