Thread: config for 2.6.23.14

Hybrid View

Good friend of the forums

Default config for 2.6.23.14

Hello,

I needed a newer kernel to support some newer hardware I have to use. Since Slackware hasn't released an updated kernel I took it upon myself to move the config that came with BT3B3 to 2.6.23.14 which I downloaded from kernel.org. I first ran a make menuconfig and let it generate a default config which I used as a template. I have spent the last two days migrating the relevant settings from the BackTrack config i.e. making the config generic and turning on the networking settings. The config I generated is not strictly speaking an updated version of the BackTrack config. I disabled the old IDE drivers (libata replaces them) and got rid of most of the SCSI drivers as I believe that most people use BackTrack from non-SCSI hardware, and removed anything that is obsolete. If there was 2 drivers for the same hardware I selected the newer of the two.

I am attaching the config here to get feedback on anything that I am missing or doesn't really need to be included. I have compiled a kernel using this config and haven't run into any problems. Please let me know what you think. I had to zip the file because of the file size limits.

Thanks,

Ehm okay..

Well what good is this, if this kernel is not supported for other comps than your own?
    The BackTrack kernel is MUCH different from the kernels you compile and install yourself.

As those you have made yourself and/or installed yourself mostly only works 100%
    on your own little system. Meaning i don't think this config will work optimal.

A request i would like to see in the BackTrack Final release would be support for
    Mirror'ing in the kernel, if that isn't supported in the Beta
    [quote][I]I realized, that I had fallen down from the top of the mountain into a deep, terrifying and dark hole, just to find out that another mountain in front of me, much greater than the previous, was the next step in life. I began to wander uphill on the next mountain of life while I knew it would be much harder than the previous mountain. [/I]- MaXe[/quote]

Developer

The other problem with this is the backtrack kernel includes all the injection patches and the new fpga support patches. Your config will only REALLY help some one with the same machine.

Good friend of the forums

My mistake. I wasn't sure of the differences between the vanilla linux kernel and the backtrack kernel. Is there somewhere where all of the differences are documented? Where did you get the fpga patches?

Thanks,

Developer

The fpga patches are available from the open cipher project however if you do not plan on getting a pico card you don't need them.