Thread: Using Tor for BackTrack 2 Final

Default Using Tor for BackTrack 2 Final

Hey Guys,

Rcently I've also been using BT2 to surf the internet a bit. I noticed that Firefox has the Tor extension pre-installed but that the Tor software package isn't. So I thought let's install that.
    But I dont know which of the Linux version to choose from since BackTrack v2 isnt on the list. I also dont know what the kernal of BT2 is based on.

Does anyone of you use Tor (Torproject.org) in combination with BT2?

Here's the list of by Tor supported Linux version:

http://www.torproject.org/download-unix.html.en

Thanks for you help

Developer

Tor is included in backtrack2. First you must configure privoxy and then start tor. then enable the button in firefox.

like................

bt ~ # privoxy /etc/privoxy/config
    Feb 26 16:42:04 Privoxy(-1210161472) Info: loading configuration file '/etc/privoxy/config':
    bt ~ # tor
    Feb 26 16:42:11.806 [notice] Tor v0.1.1.26. This is experimental software. Do not rely on it for strong anonymity.
    Feb 26 16:42:11.808 [notice] Configuration file "/usr/local/etc/tor/torrc" not present, using reasonable defaults.
    Feb 26 16:42:11.808 [notice] Initialized libevent version 1.1b using method poll. Good.
    Feb 26 16:42:20.754 [notice] Tor has successfully opened a circuit. Looks like client functionality is working.

Then click on the bottom right corner of the firefox browser - where is says "Tor Disabled" in red.

Default it worked!

Thanks I think it works.

A few quick questions:
    1. Do I have to type in those two commands everytime I boot BT2?
    2. The low internet speed is of course caused by the proxy-server. I barely get 200kbps downstream and even less upstream.
    With more people using Tor and not 'donating' bandwidth the system will get slower and slower right.
    3. In Europe people are more and more using Tor for Torrent downloading. Isn't this very bad for the Tor network? Won't that eat all the available bandwidth?

Code:
    t ~ # privoxy /etc/privoxy/config
    Jan 19 15:07:07 Privoxy(-1210091840) Info: loading configuration file '/etc/privoxy/config':
    Jan 19 15:07:07 Privoxy(-1210091840) Fatal error: can't bind to 127.0.0.1:8118: There may be another Privoxy or some other proxy running on port 8118
    bt ~ # tor
    Jan 19 15:07:12.991 [notice] Tor v0.1.1.26. This is experimental software. Do not rely on it for strong anonymity.
    Jan 19 15:07:12.992 [notice] Configuration file "/usr/local/etc/tor/torrc" not present, using reasonable defaults.
    Jan 19 15:07:12.992 [notice] Initialized libevent version 1.1b using method poll. Good.
    Jan 19 15:07:12.992 [notice] connection_create_listener(): Opening Socks listener on 127.0.0.1:9050
    Jan 19 15:07:12.993 [warn] tor_init(): You are running Tor as root. You don't need to, and you probably shouldn't.
    Jan 19 15:07:13.837 [notice] I learned some more directory information, but not enough to build a circuit.
    Jan 19 15:07:16.265 [warn] connection_dir_client_reached_eof(): Received directory with skewed time (server '86.59.21.38:80'): we are 60 minutes ahead, or the directory is 60 minutes behind.
    Jan 19 15:07:16.588 [warn] routers_update_all_from_networkstatus(): Please upgrade! This version of Tor (0.1.1.26) is obsolete, according to 3/3 network statuses. Versions recommended by at least 1 authority are: 0.1.2.17, 0.1.2.18, 0.1.2.19, 0.2.0.6-alpha, 0.2.0.7-alpha, 0.2.0.8-alpha, 0.2.0.9-alpha, 0.2.0.11-alpha, 0.2.0.12-alpha, 0.2.0.13-alpha, 0.2.0.14-alpha, 0.2.0.15-alpha, 0.2.0.17-alpha
    Jan 19 15:07:16.590 [notice] I learned some more directory information, but not enough to build a circuit.
    Jan 19 15:07:17.777 [notice] I learned some more directory information, but not enough to build a circuit.
    Jan 19 15:07:18.725 [notice] I learned some more directory information, but not enough to build a circuit.
    Jan 19 15:07:18.827 [notice] I learned some more directory information, but not enough to build a circuit.
    Jan 19 15:07:18.948 [notice] I learned some more directory information, but not enough to build a circuit.
    Jan 19 15:07:19.057 [notice] We now have enough directory information to build circuits.
    Jan 19 15:07:26.875 [notice] Tor has successfully opened a circuit. Looks like client functionality is working.

Developer

1. Yes
    2. Yes, the more people that use tor and do not offer to be exit nodes as well the slower the network will become.
    3. Yes, using tor to download torrents is stupid and yes is affecting the network. The reason its stupid is people are tracked when they actually visit the site to get the torrent. After that it is to hard so using tor when visiting the pirate bay (for example ) would make sense attaching tor to your torrent down loader is incredibly stupid and disrespectful.

To see if tor is working visit the tor detector.

Hey there,

I have been using Tor for the last couple of days and besides the frequent connection timeouts things are going great.
    I do have noticed however that my version of Tor (pre-installed on BT2) is outdated, of course. the BT2 iso is a few months old as well.

Code:
    Jan 21 19:02:24.805 [warn] routers_update_all_from_networkstatus(): 
    Please upgrade! This version of Tor (0.1.1.26) is obsolete, according to 3/3
     network statuses. Versions recommended by at least 1 authority are: 
    0.1.2.17, 0.1.2.18, 0.1.2.19, 0.2.0.6-alpha, 0.2.0.7-alpha, 0.2.0.8-alpha, 
    0.2.0.9-alpha, 0.2.0.11-alpha, 0.2.0.12-alpha, 0.2.0.13-alpha, 
    0.2.0.14-alpha, 0.2.0.15-alpha, 0.2.0.17-alpha
    Since i wanna wait just a few more months before switching to BT3 I am looking for a way to update Tor under BT2.
    This brings me back to my initial question: which version of Linux should i choose when visiting the Tor download page in order to update my current version.

Thanks

Any suggestions anyone? Or is this a ridiculous question to ask!? If so, i apologize.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rooster View Post
    Any suggestions anyone? Or is this a ridiculous question to ask!? If so, i apologize.

Thanks!
    Does no one has an answer to this?

Just burned his ISO

which version of Linux should i choose when visiting the Tor download page in order to update my current version.
    wget eech tea tea pee colon slash slash www dot torproject dot org/dist/tor-0 dot 2 dot 0 dot 18-alpha dot tar dot gz
    tar zxf tor-0 dot 2 dot 0 dot 18-alpha dot tar dot gz
    cd tor-0 dot 2 dot 0 dot 18-alpha
    ./configure
    make
    make install
    tor (But authors advise against running it as root)
    For details see www dot torproject dot org/docs/tor-doc-unix

In the links, filenames, and directory names, replace "dot" by "." and delete the spaces, because this forum forbids posting properly formatted links. (Don't ask me why; ask a moderator, but I think they think that I could trojan you with dots but my nefarious plans are spoiled by having to use the word "dot".)

Oh great, I can't even post what "eech tea tea pee colon slash slash" is obviously referring to. Not sure whether the restriction is due to incompetence or sadism, but I'm sure you can figure out how to unmangle the URL. (Can I even post the letters "URL"? We're about to find out!)

I've spent about ten times longer mangling this message in order to avoid angering the link-gods than it took me to compose the actual content. And I'm just trying to help a guy out! Welcome to the remote-exploit forum, where no good deed goes unpunished.

Quote Originally Posted by sergeikolomov View Post
    I've spent about ten times longer mangling this message in order to avoid angering the link-gods than it took me to compose the actual content. And I'm just trying to help a guy out! Welcome to the remote-exploit forum, where no good deed goes unpunished.
    Much easier to just do: h + + p : // (blah) than what you did, and also, the restrictions are there so that we dont get spammed with links to warez and pr0n sites, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by sergeikolomov View Post
    wget eech tea tea pee colon slash slash www dot torproject dot org/dist/tor-0 dot 2 dot 0 dot 18-alpha dot tar dot gz
    tar zxf tor-0 dot 2 dot 0 dot 18-alpha dot tar dot gz
    cd tor-0 dot 2 dot 0 dot 18-alpha
    ./configure
    make
    make install
    tor (But authors advise against running it as root)

Thank you. very helpful!
    Just one problem with unpacking the GZ file:

Code:
    bt Desktop # tar zwf tor-0.2.0.18-alpha.tar.gz
    tar: You must specify one of the `-Acdtrux' options
    Try `tar --help' or `tar --usage' for more information.
    bt Desktop #
    Any suggestions on what Acdtrux option to use. I googled but didnt come far. Thanks a lot!!

Cheers

Just burned his ISO

Thank you. very helpful!
    Just one problem with unpacking the GZ file:

Code:
    bt Desktop # tar zwf tor-0.2.0.18-alpha.tar.gz
    tar: You must specify one of the `-Acdtrux' options
    Try `tar --help' or `tar --usage' for more information.
    bt Desktop #
    Any suggestions on what Acdtrux option to use. I googled but didnt come far. Thanks a lot!!

Cheers
    You made a typo. It's "zxf", not "zwf".