Thread: Screenlets & Gdesklets

Just burned his ISO Soultaker666's Avatar

Default Screenlets & Gdesklets

Hey all,

I am not sure if what I did is fixable but I am going to ask anyways. I wanted to get some widgets/gadgets on my desktop so I looked around on the Ubuntu forums to see what I had to do to get some working. I went and did

Code:
    apt-get install gdesklets
    it then installed it. After installing it I found the program in the system menu. I tried to start it up but nothing happened so I went back to the Ubuntu forums to see what might be causing the program not to start. I found that people were actually using Screenlets. So I did

Code:
    apt-get install screenlets
    and it installed fine. I started the program via a terminal and it started but told me most of the options would be disabled because I was logged in as root. So I logged out and logged in with my newly created non-root user. As I logged in everything had changed and it looked like a default KDE GUI. There was no BT menu or anything. I then rebooted and logged back in with root but that the same thing happened to that account as well. So now I have the default KDE GUI on both of my accounts and have no clue how to get my BT GUI back. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
    If I win, you will be my slave

Default Re: Screenlets & Gdesklets

When you installed gdesklets, you installed SEVERAL other packages. gdesklets was designed and written for the Gnome Desktop Environment, not KDE which BackTrack runs.

Chances are, when you installed the 133 new packages for gdesklets (I have vmware; I can test anything, and trust me, I do) some of those packages will have overwritten system files. For example, installing gdesklets also installs it's dependencies, namely several components of the Gnome Desktop.

When you created your new user, the system generated a default, generic KDE environment. This can all be changed, but requires some work on a higher level than you're at right now.

From what you've posted as of late, I really would recommend against BackTrack for you right now. Try using Ubuntu for a while. Get used to it's ins and outs, and learn more about the filesystem and how it's configured. Once you have a grasp on the Linuxy stuff in an environment you aren't afraid to break, you'll find your way around BackTrack and it's tools much easier.

The easiest and quickest way for you to fix this folly is a partition wipe and reinstall.

I'm not trash-talking, I'm not calling you a nublet, and I'm not trying to discourage you; I'm just trying to guide you in the right direction.
    Last edited by xX_Spiidey_Xx; 02-04-2010 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Add-on blurb
    thou shalt treat all computers as thou wouldst treat thyself, for thou art the creator of thine own problems.

Just burned his ISO Soultaker666's Avatar

Default Re: Screenlets & Gdesklets

xX_Spiidey_Xx,

Thank you for the response. And yes, I am going to have to agree with you. I did forget to say that I did see it install quite a few dependencies with it when it installed. I have wiped the partition and reinstalled BT4. Everything seems to be back up and running again.
    If I win, you will be my slave