Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DNS zone transfers are now illegal in North Dakota

Default DNS zone transfers are now illegal in North Dakota

....Publication of WHOIS information. You know, business records. Who owns a domain. Public information. The judge has arbitrarily decided that it is illegal to take information from WHOIS data—necessary information when compiling a report on a company or activity, to make sure you’re talking about the right person—and put it in a spam report or on a website......
    http://www.circleid.com/posts/811611...tz_court_spam/

I think that is a result of some dangerous half knowledge. It's like with a companie's president you try to explain to what switches are and how they work. They have no real understanding of what's going on but they heard something about it somewhere.

Why I say that?
    Those activities include port scanning, hijacking computers, and the compilation and publication of Whois lookups without authorization from Network Solutions
    I think some stuff got mixed up in the process in trying to understand what's going on.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

To extrapolate his ruling, if you are not in ND and you access that data from a server that is inside ND, then you could also be prosecuted from crimes relating to the Interstate commerce laws as well, making it a federal crime.

Not a well thought out ruling at all, that judge and Ted Stevens are probably best friends.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Zone Transfer != WHOIS Data
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    Zone Transfer != WHOIS Data
    That's the whole point, the judge has no idea what he is ruling on ; This reminds need of another case a while ago were the judge have never used a computer before and just believed all the crap the prosecutor was saying...

dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by swc666 View Post
    What an idiot

What an idiot
    I surely hope you're referring to those quoted in the articles and not to myself and BOFH?

A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I surely hope you're referring to those quoted in the articles and not to myself and BOFH?

LMAO!... edited my original post to clarify (only on my first pot of coffee this mornin')
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by swc666 View Post
    LMAO!... edited my original post to clarify (only on my first pot of coffee this mornin')
    Man, how did all the nubcakes get into office to make decisions? Buncha Turd Minions!
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

This is an outrage, It seriously gives me a headache when I hear about another Judge [who is meant to be intelligent] make these decision's and to lay down a law that he or she clearly does NOT understand. It reminds me of the time Mitnick got arrested and put in solitary without a trail.

Public information is PUBLIC, what in the name of God was the Judge thinking. The judge should be hanged for overseeing the Freedom of Information Act. A simple WhoIS and the poor guy gets labeled as a criminal, damaging his confidence and career [let alone his life]. There should be a meeting within the US Law department about the differences of public information and private data. Clearly at present they do not know...not in ND anyway.

Blackhole that entire State if you ask me.

EDIT: I found out from the main article of this published document that the kid isn't getting a 'ball-chewing' over the zone transfares and that its all over his constant penetration of ISP's after being told to 'go-away' by the service providers. This information came from a ND citizen and claims that this article has given false details [or not the entire story]...it could be that the defense lawyer is using this as a way to start some form of protest in order to win his case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast