Thread: Tutorial how I got compiz to work with hdd install on an Intel chipset laptop.

Hybrid View

Default Tutorial how I got compiz to work with hdd install on an Intel chipset laptop.

Tutorial how I got compiz to work with hdd install on an Intel 945GM chipset laptop. (Intel810-i950 / Compaq nx7300)
    You will need two things.
    1. Partition Magic found Hiren's BootCD (google or torrent sites, it´s freeware)
    2. Bootable version of the DVD (USB) Version bt3 (Extended) Size: ~ 946 MB
    read: htt*://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=11091

First I formatted the hdd with Partition Magic found on Hiren's BootCD with EXT3 file system.
    Booted the computer with the bt3 DVD and choose first option bt3 (kde) in the boot menu and let it boot up,
    in K menu you will find “backtrack” and then go for “Install BackTrack (not tested)”
    Choose real install, and then wait till it’s finished, turn of computer and remove DVD.
    Boot the computer and login in with root/toor and startx and reinsert DVD in tray.
    Now we are going to copy the cubez.lzm from the bt3 DVD to root folder, it’s located in BT3/optional.
    Done? Ok, then you opens a terminal window ant type: lzm2dir cubez.lzm /
    And wait a few seconds to finish,
    go to /etc/X11 folder and open up xorg.conf
    (It will open in a text editor) and ad these lines at the very end of the .conf file.

Section “Extensions”
    Option “Composite” “Enable”
    EndSection

Save the xorg.conf file and close all windows and turn off the computer. (Don’t forget to remove the DVD)
    Boot up the computer one final time login with root/toor
    But this time we are going to start the system with the following command:
    xconf;cubez;startx
    Now x starts and you should have working compiz (you will se 8 desktops in tray)
    Navigate cube with:

<Ctrl><Alt>Right/Left (Arrow Key) ... Rotates cube right/left to next plane/side.

<Ctrl><Alt>Down (Arrow Key) ... Pans out to plane/slide; use right/left to select view, then release all to return to normal.

<Ctrl><Alt>Up (Arrow Key) ... Organize all windows on-screen; use right/left to select one, then release to activate it.
    (On my install Shift-Alt + Up (Arrow Key) worked)

<Ctrl><Alt>Button1 (mouse button 1) ... Hold down mouse button 1 to "hold" screen and rotate cube manually.

If you don’t like the command line logon and want the KDE desktop to start automatically. Type in terminal: nano /etc/inittab change the following line: id:3:initdefault to id:4 exit and save.

There is most sertenly easier ways to make it work, but this is the way I NOW it will.

Hope this will be to some help.

/micked

Just burned his ISO

it will be better to boot with the bootblash then you do not need to inter command lines

automatic boot with timeout

i tried this, and everything worked up to the part where i logged into x. When i logged in, the compiz manager was in the lower left toolbar, but all the windows that i opened had no close, mimizie and expand buttons, and it looked as if not all the parts of compiz were in use. My graphics card is an integrated x200m from ati.

Default --

hello.

this tutorial is for intel chipset gpu only, not ati.
    maybe you can find something interesting in this forum thread.

http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=10208

Just burned his ISO

Default Can you post your xorg.conf please?

i hace a dell inspiron 1520 that comes with a intel video card...
    Backtrack loads the i915 driver and as far as i know it should be using mesa driver to compiz to work. If you post your xorg i can compare.
    Thanks!

Default --

sorry for late reply, have been on vacation for a week (lanzarote, beautiful iland and nice weather!)

After I got compiz working and sat with it I soon realized it slowed my work down so formated the computer and reinstalled bt3 standrad edition, so I´m sorry to say that I dont have a xorg.conf to post.
    hope you figure it out.

/mikael

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by micked View Post
    Tutorial how I got compiz to work with hdd install on an Intel 945GM chipset laptop. (Intel810-i950 / Compaq nx7300)
    You will need two things.
    1. Partition Magic found Hiren's BootCD (google or torrent sites, it´s freeware)
    2. Bootable version of the DVD (USB) Version bt3 (Extended) Size: ~ 946 MB
    read: htt*://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=11091

/micked
    Just wanted to say thanks mate. Worked a treat on BT3 running on a Samsung Q35 (Intel integrated graphics card)

I had to set number of KDE desktops to 1, number of horizontals under Compiz settings to 4 and number of vertical settings to 2 (leave the other one at 1). Also enabled cube caps with some jpegs...

Thanks again mate, I've been trying to get this working for ages and my system looks really cool now...
    "When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on!" - Thomas Jefferson.