Thread: wicd ad-hoc connection

Hybrid View

Default wicd ad-hoc connection

wicd can see my ad-hoc network but gets stuck at obtaining ip address tried it with all my laptops hp mini311,dv4,compaq cq70,dell studio17 so I know its not the wlan does anyone have a fix for this ?
    HP DV7
    8GB DDR3
    Core i7-720QM
    Nvidia GeForce GT 320M

BT5-64bit x WIN7-64bit DualBoot

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: wicd ad-hoc connection

Did anyone ever figure this out? Running BT4

Has anyone figured this out? I'd like to use the wireless tethering on my phone but alas.. no go..

Just burned his ISO

I just loaded laptop with a dual boot and have also been looking for, and trying some different settings. No luck yet, then again I haven't been with Linux in years so a few things need some more trying out till I get familiar again with it all.

For now though the best answer I have found for my needs is to set up a share folder for the OSes. Then I use XP for internet connection. Hopefully get what is needed the first time, because reboots are the reason I am making the switch back. Well that and securing my home network.

Will keep trying to see if I can come up with an answer and looking for one too. First time I have had a DATA plan and would like to pair it up with Linux.

I am trying Barnacle with an X10 but haven't tried any of the USB tethers like PDAnet. Honestly I don't like cables so I will keep trying to figure this out......when I get the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by lordplagueis View Post
    wicd can see my ad-hoc network but gets stuck at obtaining ip address tried it with all my laptops hp mini311,dv4,compaq cq70,dell studio17 so I know its not the wlan does anyone have a fix for this ?
    Do it manually
    Code:
     iwconfig iface mode ad-hoc essid changeme channel changeme && ifconfig iface yourip
    OR Simply Type "adhoc ubuntu" in google and PRESS "I`m Feeling Lucky"
    If anything can go wrong, it will....

Just burned his ISO

I'm trying to do this also but haven't had any luck so far.

Just burned his ISO

Darn still no luck here. Finally got a new 320GB hard drive for my 2003 Toshiba Satellite A60-WM1. Reinstalled XP via Toshiba Recovery and didn't have a recovery option on the disc so it wipes the whole drive for itself. Discontinued Laptop now so no BIOS updates, that leaves me stuck with 2004 Firmware and that doesn't recognize any space over 127GB then I ran into the GRUB ERROR 18 - fixed that rather easily. Installed all updates and such to both OSes and organized all files where needed and ran the system with no problems with wireless to an AP with either OS. Now ad-hoc works fine with XP, Great, but I still have to play with a few things before it works on BT4R2. Tried with Network-Manager and no luck, yet still going to try a few things. WICD sees the adhoc network but fails to validate.

Just thought I would share where I have been and it took forever to get the new drive. Tried a lot of things from other posts to no avail but haven't refused finding an answer