Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: How many will get pwned at Shmoocon

  1. #11
    My life is this forum Barry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,817

    Default

    Would be pretty cool to load up Mac os8 on my old clam iBook. Pretty sure 25% of the attendees would at least know what it was. Though to be honest, I'll probably be running whatever the latest Mac Os is out.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by loftrat View Post
    Meh, you lot can run what you like - I know I'm going to be safe.

    My setup is ub3r l33t, and totally unhackable.

    I'm gonna be running Windows NT4 :D
    NT4 WorkStation or Back Office Small Business Server 3.5 :)

  3. #13
    Senior Member streaker69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA
    Posts
    3,535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BOFH139 View Post
    NT4 WorkStation or Back Office Small Business Server 3.5
    Doesn't really matter, because if he was running NT4 or NT3.5 he'd be safe at shmoocon. The only network that's available to the teaming masses is Wireless, and since you can't get wireless to function under NT4 and definitely not under 3.5 he'd be perfectly safe.

    Or am I being too pragmatic for you guys?
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

  4. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Doesn't really matter, because if he was running NT4 or NT3.5 he'd be safe at shmoocon. The only network that's available to the teaming masses is Wireless, and since you can't get wireless to function under NT4 and definitely not under 3.5 he'd be perfectly safe.

    Or am I being too pragmatic for you guys?
    Sure I can I've got a DWL-G730AP!

  5. #15
    Senior Member DaKahuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    103

    Default

    You know, this does bring up an interesting question. Has anyone done a penetration test on a default BT3 install. Provided the root password is changed, what vulnerabilities, if any are in this default build?

  6. #16
    Jenkem Addict imported_wyze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaKahuna View Post
    You know, this does bring up an interesting question. Has anyone done a penetration test on a default BT3 install. Provided the root password is changed, what vulnerabilities, if any are in this default build?
    That would depend upon several obvious factors like services running, etc. The first thing I did (and do) was threw a firewall on it, but maybe I'll see what I can do to pwn the pwnsauce when I got the time / motivation
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

  7. #17
    Senior Member DaKahuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swc666 View Post
    That would depend upon several obvious factors like services running, etc. The first thing I did (and do) was threw a firewall on it, but maybe I'll see what I can do to pwn the pwnsauce when I got the time / motivation
    Yes, lack of time is what has kept me from doing it. Maybe this weekend I'll boot the USB and see what is turned on by default and if I can p0wn the box.

  8. #18
    Senior Member streaker69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA
    Posts
    3,535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaKahuna View Post
    Yes, lack of time is what has kept me from doing it. Maybe this weekend I'll boot the USB and see what is turned on by default and if I can p0wn the box.
    I'm gonna be running fully patched ubuntu so I should have nothing to worry about, right? I don't need a firewall or nuttin' because it's open source and it's inherently safe.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

  9. #19
    Developer balding_parrot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,399

    Default

    Just run dos 2 with windows 1.01 and you should be OK.

    No Guarantees Though.

  10. #20
    My life is this forum Barry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,817

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by balding_parrot View Post
    Just run dos 2 with windows 1.01 and you should be OK.

    No Guarantees Though.
    Does windows 1.01 even know what "the internet" is??
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •