Thread: Help with booting from Hard Drive

Just burned his ISO

Default Help with booting from Hard Drive

Hello,

Sorry for being newbie (and for those people on irc, super sorry), but I learned some new stuff and its going well! Anyways, I formated the drive using the Konsole, and then did backtrack->install

Put that onto the hard drive, and everything worked great. The lilo boot screen comes up and it boots just like when I have the cd in, but then it gets stuck at...

Freeing unused virtual memory: 388k freed
    Then it loads some removable media (has Direct-access Generic USB in the 4 things it loads), and then on
    Direct-access Generic USB Attached SCSI removable disk
    is the last line and everything just kinda freezes up. The hdd activity light is blank so im not quite sure what is going on. (Note: I dont have a scsi drive, nor does my motherboard even support a scsi device)

Sorry, if this info is a bit vague here, if you need anymore info, just ask and I will gladly provide you with some more, but was just wondering if anyone else has had this error or something like this.

Thanks very much!
    -3xpl0it

You could search the forum, use google or search the wiki for some help.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by KMDave View Post
    You could search the forum, use google or search the wiki for some help.
    I did, the wiki doesn't have anything on this that I could info of, and I searched the forum and they had something similar, but not the same.
    I have tried deleting the partition, and then adding a new one, and re-installing the whole thing over again, but no luck. But now, right before it gets stuck it says:

Warning: unable to open an internal console.

So that definitely is my problem, but how might I go fixing this? I verified the md5 in the konsole using md5sum and both the numbers were identical... could the disk itself just be bad when burning or should I edit a file on the hard drive atm?

Thanks,
    -3xpl0it

UPDATE: I GOT IT! I ran fdisk, restarted, then mkfs, and then lastly did fsck to make sure the drive was ok. After that, I mounted the drive then ran the installer. Now it works great! Hope this post helps someone in the future!

Hey, that's great

See you were able to figure it out by yourself, a lot more than quite few people around here achieve.

Glad that it is working and that you are sharing it with us, keep it up.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

Nice Job Mate.
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for the support everyone. I am going to try to burn the extended version to a dvd now and install that so I am running the latest and greatest :P
    Thanks again!
    -3xpl0it