Thread: Dual booting bt3 beta with a mac book

Just burned his ISO

Talking

Succesfully booted My MacBook Pro Core2Duo @2.33ghz 2 gb ram in vesa mode with the live cd, full supported all the hardware. (Yeah indeed the atheros draft-n card does the full monty) ! Except the sound card is not working. Apparently you need a 2.6.22 kernel for sound support.(hey what a pity that I cannot listen to Mozart when I hack wep) !

I also did a hard drive install and that works fine too, I even got the ATI driver for the x1600 radeon mobilty card working and therefore even compiz working (buggy as hell though !!!!)

pure_h@te will post my tutorial on how to do a hard drive install.

Hi there, here it is:

How to dual boot your MacBook (Pro) with BackTrack 3 beta.

It all works quite well for me, the only thing I haven't been able to get to work is sound but for that you need a 2.6.22 kernel or higher.
    Its possible to update your kernel, but I tried updating the kernel, but then you get problems like your Airport card will not work anymore with the new kernel. But when you are a kernel hacker you will succeed in getting sound to work.
    Your mileage wil vary !!!

Well lets get started:

I assume you have no windows or vista install and you have backed up your system !!

You will need:

Apple MacBook (Pro) with a CoreDuo or Core2duo proc. (the new Santa Rosa I have not been able to test, but when the BT3 cd boots you will certainly be able to install)
    MacOSX Leopard 10.5 (bootcamp is not supported anymore in 10.4 Tiger)
    BackTrack 3 beta livecd which I have burned with DiskUtil.app (USB booting hasn't worked for me with my MBP)

First of all, start the BootCamp assistent and make a partition like you would do for a Windows install.
    My partition is 10GB but you can take more or less.
    When the Bootcamp assistent asks you to start the windows install please just quit the application.

(I had to "compact" my HardDrive under OSX because my harddrive was too fragmented and BootCamp was not able to partition my HardDrive, when this is the case you will need iDefrag.app to fix that problem, an other option is to backup your drive to a diskimage and boot from installer DVD format you internal drive and write your backup back to the freshly formatted drive.)

Right, install refit which can be obtained here: http://refit.sourceforge.net/
    Make sure you read the how to and be sure that its installed the right way.

refit is a efi bootloader which will give the the option to boot other stuff ;-)

Now we are going to install...

Pop the BT3 livecd in your drive and reboot, you will get the option to sync you partitions with refit partition tool make sure the MBR gets synced with the GPT, and after that you can select the live cd (little penguin with cd) and boot the live cd, don't boot the "windows" partition!

You will get the option to boot in vesa mode, make sure that you boot that because the default option will crash the x-window system.

Once you are logged in KDE open a terminal and type:

Code:
    fdisk /dev/sda
    hit enter

Code:
    Command (m for help): p
    hit enter

You will see a list like this :

Disk /dev/sda: 3758 MB, 3758096384 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 456 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 1 7 56196 83 GPT<------------This is where refit is installed
    /dev/sda2 8 70 506047+ 82 unknown <-----------this is your Apple partition
    /dev/sda3 71 456 3100545 83 vfat <-------------new unused bootcamp
    (the numbers in this example will be very different then in your case!!)

Code:
    Command (m for help): t
    hit enter

Code:
    Partition number (1-3): 3
    hit enter

Code:
    Hex code (type L to list codes): 83
    hit enter

Now we made the partition flag for sda3 linux

Code:
    Commands (m for help):w
    hit enter

Right now we have to make a filesystem

Code:
    umount /dev/sda3
    hit enter (we make sure its not mounted!!)

Code:
    mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda3
    Now a filesystem will be made, and depending how large you made it it will take a little while.

Right now we are going to mount the partition:

Code:
    mkdir /mnt/bt3 && mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/bt3
    hit enter

Now we have mounted the partition and we are going to install the stuff !

Start from the backtrack menu the backtrack installer (untested)

Make sure Source is empty

Install BackTrack to: /mnt/bt3

Write New MBR (lilo.mbr) to: /dev/sda3

And be very sure you *untick* Restore Original MBR after lilo

and choose real (and not live)

It will take a while (in my case like 10 min) to install all stuff and the installer *does* not hang !

Well all should be ready now and you should be able to boot into you new BackTrack install with efi.

The best part is that the internal Airport card will be detected and will be able to inject !

I even got compiz working but that is a different tutorial because that will only work with MacBook Pro's

Happy hacking

Jeroenimo

Just burned his ISO

why couldn't u get ur install to work off of usb, i've been trying to mine to work off my usb for a couple days, mines a bit differnt though, i dont want to install refit on my macintosh HD (I know im paranoid like that), so i installed one partition (HFS+) on my usb drive for that, then the second is (FAT) for backtrack, and the third is ext2 for the changes, i've gotten rEFIT to startup fine from the usb drive and it detecs the backtrack partition every time but i cant boot off of it, any advice?

Just burned his ISO

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by xshad0w@mac.com View Post
    why couldn't u get ur install to work off of usb, i've been trying to mine to work off my usb for a couple days, mines a bit differnt though, i dont want to install refit on my macintosh HD (I know im paranoid like that), so i installed one partition (HFS+) on my usb drive for that, then the second is (FAT) for backtrack, and the third is ext2 for the changes, i've gotten rEFIT to startup fine from the usb drive and it detecs the backtrack partition every time but i cant boot off of it, any advice?
    I tried booting of USB many times, (with refit on my Mac or on the USB stick) didn't succeed, somehow EFI don't play nice with USB/FireWire drives, and my solution so far has gotten boot from internal HD...
    As you can read underneath..

Jeroenimo

Just burned his ISO

Unhappy

great tutorial, worked like a charm. is there any way to not require the LiveCD anymore or do I need the dvd version of BT3?

Can you provide the tutorial/points for the last line of your post?

I even got compiz working but that is a different tutorial because that will only work with MacBook Pro's

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Makgyver View Post
    Can you provide the tutorial/points for the last line of your post?
    Thank you for your tutorial jeroenimo, it worked flawlessly : )

I have managed to get compiz working by installing Dr. Green's cub3z.lzm and nvidia.lzm from the Backtrack wiki. I then used nvidia's xorg maker to change my xorg and set the depth manually to 24bit.

Default thanks

thanks for the tut man i have a macbook and ive been looking for this type of guide. i have a 120 gig external harddrive and i cant boot to it from rEFIt. does anyone know how to fix that

Unless it's firewire, you aren't going to.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

Can someone explain how to do to install the newest version on this ? I don't would like to broken my Refit and loose any data on primary HD.

Cheers

Just burned his ISO

hello Jeroenimo i need some help here can u aid me in finding the =(Start from the backtrack menu the backtrack installer (untested))
    backtrack installer can you help me find this because when i finish with all the steps i got stuck at the last stage when u have to use the backtrack installer