Thread: Backtrack 3 boots from usb but freezes after startx

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Backtrack 3 boots from usb but freezes after startx

I have mamaged to get bt 3 to boot from USB, but after the logon screen it just hangs on a black screen with a non blinking cursor, i have let it sit for 15 mins and does not move, nor does 'ctrl alt numplus' do anything, any suggestions please? i have also tried every mode, same thing, startx-same,config-same, the live cd worked fine. i have also searched the whole site for an answer and saw none,, thanks

Well than our advice won't help you either, since you can't process information.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Just burned his ISO

Ok well thanks for that tip, i googled this for hours, sorry i wasnt born with all knowledge, i assumed forums were to help each other out, silly, me, thanks again,,, so now is there anyone here NOT on an ego trip that could point me to a post or a solution?

hey ragnaruk , just my 2 cents, i don't have time to do a search for you but i am sure that someone had the same problem with you and got it solved in one of other posts here.

check also for posts including your hardware specs like your graphics card.

if you are right that there are no other people that had the same problem it's probably a hardware compatibility issue which has not been examined and you should report it (highly unlikely) or user error that you made

p.s : you checked the wiki ?
    for example there is a listed bug in the wiki concerning :
    Dell Inspiron 6400

Unable to start X, due to missing monitor geometry. The screen is 1280x800, but is not listed in the screen configurations.

Booting in VESA mode enables the GUI

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by ragnaruk View Post
    Ok well thanks for that tip, i googled this for hours, sorry i wasnt born with all knowledge, i assumed forums were to help each other out, silly, me, thanks again,,, so now is there anyone here NOT on an ego trip that could point me to a post or a solution?
    Exactly how is anyone supposed to help you when you haven't provided enough information to get started? We're not here to pull teeth. If you cannot provide adequate information in your first post then no one is going to want to help.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Just burned his ISO

Ok, sorry if I did not provide enough info or was not clear in my first post I do appologize, and TY for the replies. I did search for a long time and only found 1 post pertaining to the startx freeze and had tried the solution, run in vesa and it hadn't worked , now I have reformatted and reinstalled 3 times, and after the 3rd time it does work in the 2 modes i have tried vesa and kde. I tried to give all the info I had which was a blank screen after logon whether I used startx,xconf, it didnt seem to matter and I also tried every mode prior. turns out it seems to have just been a bad install, I just didn't feel insults and a demeaning attitude were called for, but I understand the type that acts that way and why they do, we all do, so anyway, thanks again

I had a very similiar problem. However my configuration is probably a little different. I use an old laptop(3110ct) with no floppy or cd drive, just one usb1.1 port that wont boot. I have win2k on it. I just copied the usb files into a directory on my storage fat partition. Had to use freedos to load bt3.bat.
    Startx kept putting me into a win2k loading screen which froze went black then blue etc.

Googled alot but the answer was staring me in the face. After root/toor login type xconf. wait for it to finish and then type startx. I have to do it every time.

Hope it helps