Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some eeepc competition?

Default Some eeepc competition?

Another debut at CES (Further to SV's comment about the Gen2 eeepc to debut there as well) is the new gOS (Rocket) that runs on Everex's Cloudbook - it's a stripped down Ububtu based distro.

The Cloudbook looks like it might provide some serious competition to the eeepc.....
    http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/09/e...by-months-end/

Anyone got one of these already??
    I'd be interested to know what they're really like?

Developer

Wal-mart?????

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    Wal-mart?????
    That's a deal breaker for me
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Wal-mart?????

Unfortunately for me, the travelling cost to go look at one in Walmart would be approx twice (or even 3 or 4 times) that of the cost of the machine!

But anyway, what I'd like to know is how well, or poorly, they're constructed and how they run compared to the eeepc - I assume they're pretty much the same. The fact that it has a standard hdd might actually be a good idea, in the long run, compared to the somewhat limiting and expensive mini-pci sshd used in the eeepc.

A quick O/T to PH - did you fit that 16gb sshd you ordered for your eeepc?
    It was a mini-pci model you bought wasn't it? Also, how much was it??

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

The dealbreaker for me is that PackardSmell was mentioned in line with it.

ugh.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Going on the last 30mins that I have had a chance at playing with an eeepc, it has really got to be something to make me change my mind about getting an eeepc of my own.

My other half had hers delivered about an hour ago, and I love it.

Developer

Re@lity , I seem to have got my 16 gig card by the slowest snail mail ever. I have not yet received it. I did however receive a 2 gig ram chip and installed it. The difference is phenomenal I recommend it to any one running bt3 on a eeepc. It WILL render the stock xandros system inoperable to any one that tries it. Also I have read that contrary to popular belief changing out memory will not void the warranty. I will let you now as soon as I receive the 16 gig how it goes.

I have yet to get the webcam going in bt3 so if any one has please post your solutions please

I have yet to get the webcam going in bt3 so if any one has please post your solutions please
    What kind of camera / manufacturer does the eepc have? I may have a solution for you (I've got a ton of links from when I got my Ricoh cameras working on my Sony UX280P).

Developer

This is the app on xandros the default system that drives the web cam however I cant get it to build in bt. That being said I have also not spent a whole lot of time on it either.

http://www.unicap-imaging.org/unicap_eeepc.htm

UCView is installed on the EeePC as the default webcam application. The pre-release version still has a limited version of UCView installed which does not offer all desired features. By the time of the release of the EeePC, a new version will be available specially for the EeePC on the unicap website. New versions will also be available in a Service Pack from Xandros/Asus.

This is the app on xandros the default system that drives the web cam however I cant get it to build in bt. That being said I have also not spent a whole lot of time on it either.

http://www.unicap-imaging.org/unicap_eeepc.htm

UCView is installed on the EeePC as the default webcam application. The pre-release version still has a limited version of UCView installed which does not offer all desired features. By the time of the release of the EeePC, a new version will be available specially for the EeePC on the unicap website. New versions will also be available in a Service Pack from Xandros/Asus.
    This forum should get you on track (a lot of info when you search for camera in the 'Linux Other OS Thread').

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=4574

Also, there is a bunch of info on their wiki, but I wasn't able to quickly hit the 'jackpot' from my search (http://wiki.eeeuser.com/?do=search&id=camera+linux).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast