Thread: Weird Boot up of BT3 question

Default Weird Boot up of BT3 question

I installed extended version BT3 on a usb stick and when it boots, it bypasses the log in screen. Now I thought I pretty much followed the instructions, so not exactly sure why it kept bypassing the login screen and booting up all the way to the desktop. While I would really prefer none of my posts end up in the idiot's corner, sometimes I feel like an idiot with my questions. Hope someone can explain in layman's terms. Thanks.

Oh yes, and I installed the live cd version on a cd-r and that did that same exact thing. Thats what double confused me.

Look it up, it is the expected behaviour.

And if you want to change it look up inittab.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NycUnxer View Post
    I installed extended version BT3 on a usb stick and when it boots, it bypasses the log in screen. Now I thought I pretty much followed the instructions, so not exactly sure why it kept bypassing the login screen and booting up all the way to the desktop. While I would really prefer none of my posts end up in the idiot's corner, sometimes I feel like an idiot with my questions. Hope someone can explain in layman's terms. Thanks.

Oh yes, and I installed the live cd version on a cd-r and that did that same exact thing. Thats what double confused me.
    At least you were honest.. But I think that is suppose to happen.
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

Thank you sir, still new at this. I'll look up inittab. I have no probs with the search function. Its just when I'm searching for the wrong info that gets me

What kind of Animal would you hate to play cards with?
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

A Cheetah!

Quote Originally Posted by spankdidly View Post
    A Cheetah!
    Quit it, with all these pointless posts, they have got to be as bad as spam, and you know what happens to that.

It gets filtered out.

Well as the other replies stated, yes it's in inittab or which kind of idk what it's called,
    "userlevel" you want to boot into, but yes BackTrack 3 is ment to boot directly into
    the user OS.
    [quote][I]I realized, that I had fallen down from the top of the mountain into a deep, terrifying and dark hole, just to find out that another mountain in front of me, much greater than the previous, was the next step in life. I began to wander uphill on the next mountain of life while I knew it would be much harder than the previous mountain. [/I]- MaXe[/quote]

Try selecting BT Text mode from the boot menu. Much easier, just like BT2. And you
    could always digit startx to get to KDE from there

A Cheetah!
    Haha good one , too bad that type of fun is against the rules :b
    - Poul Wittig