Thread: Cant connect to Internet firefox even though the Iwconfig says i am

Just burned his ISO

Default Cant connect to Internet firefox even though the Iwconfig says i am

Hi im using a Broadcom card and the bcm43xx module.
    after all the works using the wireless tools i come to the point where it says im connected to my essid but the internet is not working.

i used the dhcpcd command and it appears to be doing something in the background for a sec but nothing happens after that.

i cant ping anything.

iwconfig says im connected to something but the bitrate on my card is stuck at 1M doesent change. tried changing it with iwconfig eth1 rate auto but i get nothing.

Basically wireless assistant is not working either.

iwconfig is my best bet but not working for me, im not new to linux ive made plenty cards work but i cant make my original card work. i hate broadcom.

anyhow if anyone has any hint please tell me
    take care.

Ps. monitor mode works fine and all its just the managed mode thats being a ***.

cheers

Default Broadcom trouble

I have the same problem. It works when it wants to! Try running dmesg after every command. With the bcm43xx driver it tends to turn itself off when you airmon-ng stop [I]inteface[I]
    It also doesnt agree with connecting to encryted networks. Try the bcm43xx-fwcutter tool with the windows driver.

Can you connect to the webinterface of your router?
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

1) Do you have an IP address after dhcpcd does it's thing? (Use ifconfig/iwconfig to find out)
    2) Did you read the following:
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=1489
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=5601
    3) Assuming the answer to #1 is that you DO actually have an IP, what happens when you do the following via the command line?
    nslookup www.google.com
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Just burned his ISO

Default that should cover it..

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    1) Do you have an IP address after dhcpcd does it's thing? (Use ifconfig/iwconfig to find out)
    2) Did you read the following:

3) Assuming the answer to #1 is that you DO actually have an IP, what happens when you do the following via the command line?
    nslookup
    Hi all thanks for replying. For anybody that cant make it work in backtrack 2 i realised that the module which load the driver called Bcm43xx is good but faulty..
    Simply put yes it enables injection but no it does not support dhcp properly (or i might be doing it wrong) so basic internet surfing is out of the question. There obviously is a way around it which i will explain in a sec.

First of all if ur new to this like me the essential thing to know are the iwconfig commands and the ifconfig commands. iwconfig takes care of the wireless activity meaning where and who you want to connect to or monitor while ifconfig takes care of the interface (what u are using to connect - cable or wireless). Basically put without ifconfig ur not going anywhere. think of ifconfig as ur brain and iwconfig as your hands, without the brain the hand are not going to move..

In BT2 basically put what u can do is wep/wap crack very easily using the original module called bcm43xx to load the interface write "modprobe -r bcm43xx" the reload it "modprobe bcm43xx" "ifconfig eth1 up" => Follow xploit tutorials (just type Xploit in search) hes really good at that, but when it gets to surfing the net then u have a problem because the module ur using is not adjusted properly. Basically if ur using the Bcm43xx module ( the module is what loads the driver => the driver is what gives you and interface that ifconfig can understand, the driver is either going to give you one of the many interface names like Ath0-wifi0(virtual)-rausb0-eth1-wlan0 all of these which i have tested and used myself, preferably the ralink module given at serial monkey was the best ive used so far, google serial monkey and you will find ur way around.. if not email me sashpimp_1018@hotxxxx and i will be more then happy to find something for you) now back to BT2, if your using the Bcm43xx module u will be able to monitor but not surf because
    1. rate the rate is faulty (i tried to change it its not working)
    2. dhcp the dhcp module is not loading properly because ur not really connect to anything even though it says you are
    3. scan the scan option is for some reason faulty because i only got results when i unloaded the module and reloaded it.

The bcm43xx module like i said is good for injection and wep cracking but using firefox is another story.

Before we start type "modprobe -r bcm43xx" when you will be on BT2 or BT3 beta right after ur asked for root password. or else u might get an error saying its in use.

The way around is it basically to use Ndiswrapper but there is a catch.. ndiswrapper does not support injection because the module loads the basic driver for the card that does not support injection or monitor mode but net surfing is fine and works. To load the bcmwl5.inf driver from windows make sure ur in the right directory meaning the directory where the file is and all the other files surrounding it, meaning there are many files that come with bcmwl5.inf some with .inf and some with .sys files, even though we use the bcmwl5.inf file, bcmwl5.inf tells ndiswrapper to use some of the other files as well but u dont see that becasue all your gonna write is ndiswrapper -i /path/to/bcmwl5.inf if your in the folder like i suggest just type ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5.inf thats basically how it works and that driver is what is going to enable you to go on the net.
    but before u can surf u need to understand that the main "brain" like i said earlier is not yet activated. to activate is u use modprobe ndiswrapper => then ifconfig wlan0 up (this is the name the module ndiswrapper, after loading the driver, gives to the interface we are trying to get up) if the light is still showing as off on you laptop simply switch it off/on that should do the trick. the u basically use the wireless tools to configure the connection.

type these in order..
    1st Iwlist wlan0(thats the name the driver gave to the interface) scan
    2nd you found something so u connect using => iwconfig wlan0 essid "name of wireless network you see in quotation marks" yes u can put the name in quotation marks it dosent matter if u wanna connect to any which thats at your school like the library that is an open network for the people around it the u can type "iwconfig wlan0 essid any" thats the command forget the quotations. u should connect if its open.
    Now to check if you have a connection type iwconfig thats should list something like this

bt ~ # iwconfig
    lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"Metsos - Ford"
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.462 GHz Access Point: 00:18:F8:5D:02:35
    Bit Rate=11 Mb/s Tx-Power:32 dBm
    RTS thr=2347 B Fragment thr=2346 B
    Encryption keyff
    Power Managementff
    Link Quality:9/100 Signal level:-90 dBm Noise level:-96 dBm
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

"wlan0" is what the driver loaded and ESSID means im connected to "Metsos - Ford" on managed mode, u can only connect to networks on MANAGED mode, not monitor.
    After that we use the dhcpcd command like this " dhcpcd wlan0" if all goes well you get an ip adress in less then 15 sec if it takes more then its not working, if ur using the bcm43xx module dhcpcd is NOT going to work.

Now for the finale, if ur in BT2 final the net is not going to work why because of the Tor program, its used to basically filter your connection but honestly its a PINA if you know what i mean. i managed to get around it to find out how just type " firefox tor BT2" in the search engine of the remote-exploit forum there are many tutorials like this one in it telling you what to do. If ur using BT# beta which i suggest then you should be able to surf the net and a little program called "knemo" real cute is going to tell you ur connected and what ur ip is and what-not.

thats it for my tutorial i PROBABLY missed alot of things so just msg me and ill try and help as much as i can.

Ez

Default Broadcom driver

Wow sashpimp, what an entry!! Ndiswrapper install tutorial aswell.I wonder is it only a problem with dhcpcd. Ill try it with dhclient if i get a chance!.. Silly College Exams!!