Thread: Re-Broadcasting Wireless

Default Re-Broadcasting Wireless

Okay... bit of a Weird one this.

My dad lives in a large house (Very large). He's got Wireless coming in (Uses a Belkin G+MIMO Router on an 8MB ADSL line), but now wants the entire house covered by "weefee" (Well, the "important rooms, luckily clustered at one end... but the opposite end to the Phone line).

Now, being my dad, he wants to do this as cheaply as possible (he points out it's how he got to the point he could buy the house, so I can't argue it to much). He already has some of my old stuff stored there. So, my question is, is it possible to put another Router in the middle of the house to re- roadcast the signal?

I can connect a USB client to an old SFF PC (Shuttle) just running a small distro, then run ethernet out to the router with High-Gain omni's on it. Is this possible? If so, any recomendations on a Router (I doubt the old stuff I have there will suffice, but great if it will... off the top of my head, I have a D-Link 604T and a BT Voyager 2000 (Broadcom/PCMCIA+MC antenna based... yeah, i got curious and opened it up))

Cheers for looking, and any help is appreciated... My Dad thinks I must know everything about computers, I can't get over to him just how vast the field is, and I've never tried this before, so am not sure it is even possible. If you need more info, shout.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Depending upon which AP he already has he could add another AP and use it as a repeater.

I've done that with varying results.

The best thing to do, which is what I'm doing now with 4 ap's to cover my entire house is to run CAT5 to where you want a second AP. The CAT5 would then run back to the LAN side of the inturweb rooter.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Exactly what I would have done... but "what's the point of bloody wireless if I have to have wires all over the ****ing place" was his response...

I'll whip out Kolourpaint later and do you a diagram. In short, Wireless broadcast from the AP, picked up by either another (cheap) AP, or USB via a Small Form Factor PC, then re-broadcast into another Router.

Yeah, it's an arse to do, but it's my dad, and I owe him big (Just bought EVERYTHING i need for my baby Daughter...), so I kinda have to do it the way he wants (Assuming it's possible)

Anyway, cheers for the reply. Appreciated.

EDIT:

all he does is surf, the odd AV and M$ update, so no need for uber response rates etc... makes life a little easier. When I go there, I'll just plug the lappy into the router for a decent speed.

Wouldn't something like this but a cheaper version be better?

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/sto...ory_oid=-32723

or

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/sto...ory_oid=-32723

I know you can get discount there too

Just burned his ISO

How about replacing the AP with one that you can swap out the stand antenna with a higher gain antenna. Perhaps doing a Linksys 54G router, new antenna and new firmware to allow adjustment to signal strength.

Quote Originally Posted by topless04 View Post
    How about replacing the AP with one that you can swap out the stand antenna with a higher gain antenna. Perhaps doing a Linksys 54G router, new antenna and new firmware to allow adjustment to signal strength.
    Tried that already (Originally had a D-Link 604-T in there, with a 12dBi directional. Didn't cover where he wanted covered.

Trust me, I'm asking as I've tried what I think are the easy solutions... If it was easy, it's be done, and this thread would not exist.

Cheers for suggestions though.

InSanCen

2 linksys wrtg54G v4 or lower wireless routers + dd-wrt on both using WDS

Quote Originally Posted by G-Stress View Post
    2 linksys wrtg54G v4 or lower wireless routers + dd-wrt on both using WDS
    WRT54G's with DD-WRT is the best option, also you could also any other router that has client-mode { http://www.hackaday.com/2005/08/23/h...wifi-repeater/ This is a setup you can mod for what you need}

Exactly what I need by the looks of it.

although I think you may be reading a wee bit much into it though chaps... this is my Dad's wireless I'm sorting, (And therefore have full permission to do so... he even let me pen-test his network, although it was fun to see his face after 5 mins or so I walk through with his password written on a bit of paper!) And I have my own ADSL connection (Tesco.net if you wish to check mod's). Apart from that, though, great.

The Routers should be cheap enough, and it will be about the same size-wise as a HTPC, so he can't complain about size or wires (Will make a 10cm or so patch to link the routers together, plus link the 2 power jacks into a single 12v PSU I have lying around).

Client mode... that's exactly what I was looking for, seems to be the key to it. Will have a look-see if any of my old Routers support it for my place (Not that I need it with my directional antenna on my AP, but hey, i might as well use them if they are they)

Again, Many Thanks.

InSanCen

i use 2 WRE54G and one wrt54gl-ddwrt,wds(the reception and first floor 100% covered min 50% strenght)~170 euros and 2 hours to make those bloody extenders to accept wpa2,works ok.