Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows Is By Far The Best OS

Quote Originally Posted by spankdidly View Post
    Ah, This is an Hp P4 with HT and 2gb Ram and 80gb HDD and 2 gigabit nic's. It's overkill for Smoothwall, but the box was laying around and wanted to be used. Plus the lan ran much faster on the "everyday" sites.
    I hear that... I had a decent server at home for a while (2 x 2.8 Xeon + 4GB and a RAID 5 with 1.2 TB), and for the couple of weeks that I didn't have time to get parts for my current firewall, I ran the firewall on it... it was monster overkill.
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Quote Originally Posted by spankdidly View Post
    Ah, This is an Hp P4 with HT and 2gb Ram and 80gb HDD and 2 gigabit nic's. It's overkill for Smoothwall, but the box was laying around and wanted to be used. Plus the lan ran much faster on the "everyday" sites.
    Next time you get something like that laying around just send it to me
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by swc666 View Post
    I hear that... I had a decent server at home for a while (2 x 2.8 Xeon + 4GB and a RAID 5 with 1.2 TB), and for the couple of weeks that I didn't have time to get parts for my current firewall, I ran the firewall on it... it was monster overkill.
    Ah, Just can't get enough stuff though. I have so much computer crap I could have a month long garage sale and still have too much. It's overwhelming at times.
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

Just burned his ISO

Default Not Sure - - - Security Issue's

not sure about that one i see windows is very good as a desktop but crap wen it cum's to security were linux however is good as both desktop replaccement and security i use linux all the time to secure my home network and it seems to do the trick ..

JamieForsyth

Quote Originally Posted by jamie-forsyth View Post
    not sure about that one i see windows is very good as a desktop but crap wen it cum's to security were linux however is good as both desktop replaccement and security i use linux all the time to secure my home network and it seems to do the trick ..

JamieForsyth
    Please. Make. Thought-out. Sentences.
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

Since this topic is "Windows ... the Best OS", I'll add that when it comes to web servers, I definitely prefer Linux. ASP / IIS never did it for me (and it's about time for M$ to concede to developing PHP.NET
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Since this topic is "Windows ... the Best OS", I'll add that when it comes to web servers, I definitely prefer Linux. ASP / IIS never did it for me (and it's about time for M$ to concede to developing PHP.NET
    I've done alot of design work in ASP/Vbscript and I found it a rather easy and powerful language to work in, as long as you get past the basics. There's alot of really cool things that can be done it.

One of the first things that I did about 12 years ago was to design an Mp3 webbased jukebox. It's in it's 4th revision at this point, and contains about 10000 mp3's and 700 music videos (but any video could be implemented into it). All fully indexed and searchable. I even went so far as to include song lyrics indexed with the songs. Everything is played in media player which is embedded in a webbrowser and it's the controls are designed to function with touchscreens.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Okay, I don't feel so bad running smoothwall on an IBM e-series 1U server.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Okay, I don't feel so bad running smoothwall on an IBM e-series 1U server.
    Hey Barry, what kind of mods do you have running on it?

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by jamie-forsyth View Post

JamieForsyth
    If the OSS 'community' were to actually focus the same attention on their own 'products' that they do on Microsoft, I bet you'd find that it's just as insecure.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast