Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows Is By Far The Best OS

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    PAH! Real Admins don't back up the registry. If something blows up, you blame it on the user installing spyware and then take their machine away for a few days while you re-install everything.
    that's the cool thing about tech jobs. You can come up with at least 30 different excuses per issue. In the years I've done tech-crap, I've only had one person call BS on me, and nobody will ever find him. Muwahahaha Gotta watch out for the Tech Gnomes!
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by spankdidly View Post
    that's the cool thing about tech jobs. You can come up with at least 30 different excuses per issue. In the years I've done tech-crap, I've only had one person call BS on me, and nobody will ever find him. Muwahahaha Gotta watch out for the Tech Gnomes!
    #1 Rule in being a Network Admin - The Network Admin NEVER makes a mistake.

in the case where the Network Admin does make a mistake, refer to rule #1.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

#1 Rule in being a Network Admin - The Network Admin NEVER makes a mistake.

in the case where the Network Admin does make a mistake, refer to rule #1.
    I wish I was a network admin. I'm a deskside cronie. Problem is time. Dont have enough to learn everything I want to learn, So I'm stuck. I guess if I focused more on other stuff instead of /., bt forums, and gizmodo articles I could find some time. When I get home I'm tired of all the BS at work, and I use my computer to rescue some hosties in CSS. I need to break the cycle.
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

Quote Originally Posted by spankdidly View Post
    But windows has solitaire. OHH! And Paint!!!

I haven't even touched Vista yet. My job is not going for it for a long long time if ever. They may just wait until the next OS. Most of it is Linux and Mac. Now I just gotta learn the MAC!
    As long as you have a descent understanding of linux, Macs are cake. It's basically BSD with a proprietary window manager. Oh, and 10.5 really shouldn't have been released yet.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

I'll give a +1 to the people who mentioned Ubuntu.

I just gave my sister a used laptop for her Birthday and installed Ubuntu on it. She is not a computer person at all, she just knows how to hit the power button. After just a few minutes of showing her how Ubuntu is almost just like Windows, and showing her where everything was, she is doing fine with it. It even has the automatic updates feature like Windows.

Comes with Office programs by default, Instant messaging programs, firewall, easy to configure 3D composition for the desktop, and a easy to use repository full or free tools that are a point and click away from being installed.

Ubuntu is making the switch from windows very easy for people, I think.

just my 2 cents...

Well there are always pros and cons for different OS'es.

I prefer to use linux at home and at work, but I also like windows, if I just need some distraction and want to play a game.

Regarding Ubuntu, well there is a reason it is used as Dell's distro, shipped with there pc's.
    The reason was mentioned a couple times before: It is the closest for look and feel to windows without applying a lot of changes.
    I think the most people are happy that they got away from having to use "cryptic" commands on a command line in order to achieve something.
    But you can see that development not only in the computer world: Nowadays people just like to get all information presented on a tablet so that they don't have to put much brainwork into it. Most of the people's opinion is formed by what they are told in the media.
    Sure, it is way easier and you don't have to think really hard or maybe find something making you feel uncomfortable by just accepting what you are told.
    People mostly don't want to use google or spent more than 5 minutes to solve a problem. If there is not an obvious solution at thand, it is not accepted by most of the people because it is "too hard".

And unless Linux won't become a second Windows, where you don't have to use the command line anymore, Linux will never dominate the desktop pc's.
    But I think it is not bad this way, since it is kind of a natural selection.

No, I don't want to say that Windows users are stupid, lazy or anything else.

You just saved me a post - pretty much what I was going to say....

It's horses for courses

Eek, it's hard not to gloat. I have a Mac, and I can run any OS I want. I use VMWare and Bootcamp's drivers to run absolutely any OS I want to play with, and all the while OS X is as solid as a rock, even though I agree that Leopard, while absolutely awesome, wasn't ready when it was released. Quite frankly, I haven't needed Windows at all lately, the Mac + VMWare unix does it all for me.

PAH! Real Admins don't back up the registry. If something blows up, you blame it on the user installing spyware and then take their machine away for a few days while you re-install everything.
    I just knew I was doing something wrong!!

I run all three and I must say....

Linux: for obscure or maintenance stuff (hacking wep, pentesting, etc)
    Windows: for gaming or those pertinent office docs
    mac: for just plain old internet or media fun. I must say, the mac is the easiest to use for everyday stuff. Internet, pictures, movies, it just works. I'm not even a mac person either. I have it installed on my T60 and I LOVE it. Like quicksilver, that program is awesome. Good times, Good times.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast