Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows Is By Far The Best OS

Quote Originally Posted by adamos View Post
    p.s: backtrack doesnt work on traffic lights or send viruses that explodes your pc.
    Damnit... I'm uninstalling it right this minute
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by swc666 View Post
    Damnit... I'm uninstalling it right this minute
    In Soviet Backtrack, the traffic lights work on YOU!
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

Quote Originally Posted by spankdidly View Post
    In Soviet Backtrack, the traffic lights work on YOU!
    AHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!!...... PMSL

Classic
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

LOL, I had to look up PMSL. I thought that was some version of the "monthly" thing. I wasn't sure LOL!
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

You're right, Windows is so much easier than Linux in every way. I remarked as much to myself whilst simply solving a small problem:

Problem

Start > Control Panel > Windows Update: All options are 'greyed out' with no obvious way to make changes to the Windows Update settings.

Solution 1

[Ummm..... I am an administrator]

Solution 2

Run Regedit, find several arcane registry keys, edit some, delete others, create new ones. Save. By the way, don't forget to backup the registry first.
    [Ummm..... The keys don't exist in this copy of XP..... Backup the what now? How? Where? Who? Oops.....]

Solution 3

Go to the web site of someone you don't know, download and run a script that will (without any explanation) magicaly fix it for you.
    [Now that's more like it. Bill Gates 1, My Enhanced Learning 0]

And if you think that's bad, you should have seen me trying to struggle getting the thing to download and install the updates correctly aftwerwards!

You see, Windows doesn't have it all so good, and Linux doesn't have the Monopoly on difficult and arcane solutions to problems. There's good and bad in each of the various Operating Systems out there, and each is more appropriate for a certain set of users or a certain environment/use. Operating Systems are not a one size fits all thing by any means.

For what it's worth, you definitely chose the wrong 'flavour' of Linux to begin with. Back|Track certainly isn't for beginners. I've been using Linux for over a year now and I still struggle with some things.

I guess what makes us essentially different is that *I* didn't quit, I just kept on learning.

Quote Originally Posted by loftrat View Post
    You're right, Windows is so much easier than Linux in every way. I remarked as much to myself whilst simply solving a small problem:

Problem

Start > Control Panel > Windows Update: All options are 'greyed out' with no obvious way to make changes to the Windows Update settings.

Solution 1

Solution 2

Run Regedit, find several arcane registry keys, edit some, delete others, create new ones. Save. By the way, don't forget to backup the registry first.
    [Ummm..... The keys don't exist in this copy of XP..... Backup the what now? How? Where? Who? Oops.....]

Solution 3

Go to the web site of someone you don't know, download and run a script that will (without any explanation) magicaly fix it for you.

And if you think that's bad, you should have seen me trying to struggle getting the thing to download and install the updates correctly aftwerwards!

You see, Windows doesn't have it all so good, and Linux doesn't have the Monopoly on difficult and arcane solutions to problems. There's good and bad in each of the various Operating Systems out there, and each is more appropriate for a certain set of users or a certain environment/use. Operating Systems are not a one size fits all thing by any means.

For what it's worth, you definitely chose the wrong 'flavour' of Linux to begin with. Back|Track certainly isn't for beginners. I've been using Linux for over a year now and I still struggle with some things.

I guess what makes us essentially different is that *I* didn't quit, I just kept on learning.
    But windows has solitaire. OHH! And Paint!

Quote Originally Posted by spankdidly View Post
    But windows has solitaire. OHH! And Paint!
    You're right.

myArgument < yourArgument

myArgument != win

yourArgument >= win

I sux l0lz, m3 n0t ub3r l33t hax0r

Just burned his ISO

Win is for everyday robot work. Like playing games, installing programs that you will use once a year with a few clicks, pumping up win registry with crap, slowing down your pc from day to day, until you reach a Win endurance limit (2-3 months of average work on PC) and it crashes. Then you boot up some distro (in my example BT), backup your data, and reinstall Win.
    And somehow, I got sick of that windows user too friendly bullcrap after a few years.

Looking backwards, Win 98 (that I first stared working with) was ok, Win XP was less ok, but still in the limits of common sense, because with a few tweaks to cut off that MS crap it ran ok.
    I`ve never, but never used antivirus or any kind of security on win. Not even the firewall.
    Never in my computer life (and it passed a few years) had a problem with malware. Of course I had spyware in pc, but that relativley easy to move.

Looking forward, there is Vista. My Jah, do I hate that OS.
    To copy a simple 5kb file it takes about 10-12 seconds with all that yes or no, are you sure, it could be a threat, its not signed by microsoft, jada jada jada... I have a feeling, when working on Vista, that somehow whole OS is fragile and afraid of anything not signed by its mommy a.k.a. Microsoft.
    Vista needs 512mb RAM to run... And that is before you installed anything, and everything is "working" properly

People are afraid of learning and stuff they dont understand on the first look.

You are talking about average users... What does an average PC user needs? Something to write in, listen to music, burn cds, watch movies and play games.
    I havent tried user friendly distros like Ubuntu, so I cant say for certain, but how long do you think it will need for this huge world *nix community to make a user friendly distro with simple GUI tools that will help average user to install and make all hardware work?

I just know that I will definently use Windows for some of the everyday work... But only as a dual boot

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by loftrat View Post

Problem

Solution 1

Solution 2

Solution 3

PAH! Real Admins don't back up the registry. If something blows up, you blame it on the user installing spyware and then take their machine away for a few days while you re-install everything.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by cykke View Post
    Win is for everyday robot work. Like playing games, installing programs that you will use once a year with a few clicks, pumping up win registry with crap, slowing down your pc from day to day, until you reach a Win endurance limit (2-3 months of average work on PC) and it crashes. Then you boot up some distro (in my example BT), backup your data, and reinstall Win.
    And somehow, I got sick of that windows user too friendly bullcrap after a few years.

Looking backwards, Win 98 (that I first stared working with) was ok, Win XP was less ok, but still in the limits of common sense, because with a few tweaks to cut off that MS crap it ran ok.
    I`ve never, but never used antivirus or any kind of security on win. Not even the firewall.
    Never in my computer life (and it passed a few years) had a problem with malware. Of course I had spyware in pc, but that relativley easy to move.

Looking forward, there is Vista. My Jah, do I hate that OS.
    To copy a simple 5kb file it takes about 10-12 seconds with all that yes or no, are you sure, it could be a threat, its not signed by microsoft, jada jada jada... I have a feeling, when working on Vista, that somehow whole OS is fragile and afraid of anything not signed by its mommy a.k.a. Microsoft.
    Vista needs 512mb RAM to run... And that is before you installed anything, and everything is "working" properly

People are afraid of learning and stuff they dont understand on the first look.

You are talking about average users... What does an average PC user needs? Something to write in, listen to music, burn cds, watch movies and play games.
    I havent tried user friendly distros like Ubuntu, so I cant say for certain, but how long do you think it will need for this huge world *nix community to make a user friendly distro with simple GUI tools that will help average user to install and make all hardware work?

I just know that I will definently use Windows for some of the everyday work... But only as a dual boot
    But windows has solitaire. OHH! And Paint!!!

I haven't even touched Vista yet. My job is not going for it for a long long time if ever. They may just wait until the next OS. Most of it is Linux and Mac. Now I just gotta learn the MAC!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast