Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Is By Far The Best OS

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Windows Is By Far The Best OS

Let me start of by telling you, that I don't join forums such as this untill I have exhausted google for help, and got no further than when I started, so here is why I make the statement in the thread title.

Windows is the best because it's just so straight forward, and it's only been in the last few days, of deciding whether or not to make the switch that I have finally realised this, and why so many people will never be converted.

I have downloaded BT3 & 2, Live CDS which I have tried to run on my Sony Vaio FZ21Z. BT2 works almost perfectly, the only thing being the wireless doesn't work & BT3 wont start Startx.

Being quite an advanced user of PCs, (can build, run ect) I took to the net to try and find solutions, only to be baffled at the hoops you have to jump thorough to install things.

"make makefile" & the like, to me, is programming and like millions of other people, are no programmer. I know what I need, and have sat in my documents in order to get my wireless card working, the problem comes when actually trying to implement an install.

Having read this forum and others, I came across this link - h**p://linux.die.net/Linux-CLI/who-would-not-want-to-read-this-guide.html
    Again, this to me is programming as you are having to tell a program what to do, where as in windows you knock on the door of the program so to speak and it does what it knows how to.

A change from Windows would be nice, but from the research I have done so far, it's just way too daunting should an issue occour.

Just burned his ISO

Lol i like your statement,

but I dont think windows is so good...

Microsoft philosophy is promoting computer for domestical use (this is why they got so ritch) so they design things user frendly. Thus linux was design to be free (correct me if Im wrong) and open source. Then linux is being coded and recoded by user not compagny (Redhat is another story) this is why you have to compile your programs. Compiling is the final step for programming and since you didnt change the code i would not call this programming. Im a really recent user of linux and i think there solution is more reliable since the community is so big, they can fix bug mutch faster then microsoft.

i would love to see replys

Developer

Every one is entitled to their own opinion and we certainly respect that. I would also like to go on to say that in the network security area it pertinent to be familiar with all of the major OS's. Further more backtrack is not meant to "convert" you from windows or any thing along those lines I for one and I know of many others use a lot of different systems for a variety of different things. Every operating system has its pros and cons so to truly be a computer ninja you should have more than a few in your bag of tricks. On another note we would also be glad to help point you in the correct direction to get your hardware running if you give us all the specs, info and other necessary information. I know quite a few people are running backtrack successfully on a sony vaio.

Moving this to general IT.

you know i thought the same thing before that windows was so easy all you do is point and click you dont have to think about anything you just do it and it got boring ive been using linux for about 6 to 8 months now and i never want to go back to windows.

You wont get all the tools to work first off you have to make them work people switch to this because they watch those stupid hacker movies thinking im going to just boot up linux and start hacking away which you wont

PS you didnt even make one post besides this one asking any questions about your issue im sure there any many people with VAIOs here who have had issues

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

No matter what any of the hardcore *nix people think, it's never going to take over the world like Windows has because the average person just doesn't want to work hard to use their computer.

The OVERWHELMING majority of people want it to just work. Yes, they've made strides with Ubuntu and such, but when you go for help, and you get answers like "did you read the source", or many of the other answers that I've seen, you're just going to turn the average person off.

Plus all the kvetching that I've seen about doing Windows updates and things crashing, let me tell you about yesterday.

I decided to update PHP on one of my CENTOS boxes, well to do that I'd have install a whole bunch of DEVEL stuff first. So I get most of it installed, except for some reason I can't get PCRE to install or at least be recognized as the correct version (needed 6.6 or better). So I start googling looking for ways to solve it. After several hours with fighting it, I see a forum post where someone said to remove PCRE and try re-installing it, since there is no way to re-install without removing it first.

Ok great, I might have a solution, I do a yum remove pcre, it goes through it's process and says there's one dependency that needs removed as well, a minor one. No biggie, I can put that back in right?

WRONG, it proceeds to basically remove EVERYTHING from the system, PHP, BASH, Apache, plus tons of other stuff. It removed things to the point that I couldn't even do an LS. Trashed the entire OS, just to remove one module.

But according to the hardcore *nixers this kind of thing doesn't happen, it only happens in Windows.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

If you want to run at 100% then you need to run both at least XP and a *nix flavor. As far as I can tell BT is the *nix flavor of choice. Other than running Pro Tools I dont see a need for a MAC. Then there's the wizard a couple of years ago that booted 200+ OS's on one box. Its like anything else, you and what ever it is must reach an acord, an understanding if you will. The system will bend to you're will and do what ever you command. And if it will not, you as the master, will make it obey. Hows that sound. Windoze the best? I dont think so. One of the best, maybe. Well for example, I like Sam Spade. For that, I go to XP. But I am not going to shell out big $$$ for air tools. For that I go to BT. Until Windoze 3rd party can offer cheaper tools, the best, no.
    <EeePc 1000HA BT4/W7 USB boot Alfa500 GPS BlueTooth>

Quote Originally Posted by Starlin View Post
    Let me start of by telling you, that I don't join forums such as this untill I have exhausted google for help, and got no further than when I started, so here is why I make the statement in the thread title.

Windows is the best because it's just so straight forward, and it's only been in the last few days, of deciding whether or not to make the switch that I have finally realised this, and why so many people will never be converted.

I have downloaded BT3 & 2, Live CDS which I have tried to run on my Sony Vaio FZ21Z. BT2 works almost perfectly, the only thing being the wireless doesn't work & BT3 wont start Startx.

Being quite an advanced user of PCs, (can build, run ect) I took to the net to try and find solutions, only to be baffled at the hoops you have to jump thorough to install things.

"make makefile" & the like, to me, is programming and like millions of other people, are no programmer. I know what I need, and have sat in my documents in order to get my wireless card working, the problem comes when actually trying to implement an install.

Having read this forum and others, I came across this link - h**p://linux.die.net/Linux-CLI/who-would-not-want-to-read-this-guide.html
    Again, this to me is programming as you are having to tell a program what to do, where as in windows you knock on the door of the program so to speak and it does what it knows how to.

A change from Windows would be nice, but from the research I have done so far, it's just way too daunting should an issue occour.
    So let me see if I can size you up....

1) Linux newb
    2) You're a person that likes everything handed to you on a platter
    3) You don't like to research something before you dive into it heads first
    4) You probably had the intention to try out Linux, furthermore B|T to become some cool hacker dude
    5) You only use a computer for Internet, entertainment and email

If you're tired of Windows and want an easier distro, go with Ubuntu or Gentoo. It's a great starting OS for beginners' and it's not Windows.
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Quote Originally Posted by Starlin View Post

This was mistake #1, BT isn't meant to be a full time use OS. If you wanna replace Winblows try Ubuntu or similar.
    Being quite an advanced user of PCs, (can build, run ect)
    Being able to build a computer with Windows and hit the power button does not make you an advanced user, sorry to burst your bubble.
    I took to the net to try and find solutions, only to be baffled at the hoops you have to jump thorough to install things.

If this is try then why are you looking to Linux/BT at all. The obvious answer is that BT offers something you couldn't get via Windows so your point is moot. Either that or this thread is just flame bait (despite anything you've tried to say otherwise).

Perhaps you're subject line should have been "Windows is by far the best OS for Joe Average, as long as he doesn't care about the things he can do via Linux that he can't do via Windows". Well that doesn't even really do it unless you define "best" since "Most userfriendly" != "best", but you get the idea.

Using google and having to type is daunting? You're right you should stick with windows.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    No matter what any of the hardcore *nix people think, it's never going to take over the world like Windows has because the average person just doesn't want to work hard to use their computer.

The OVERWHELMING majority of people want it to just work. Yes, they've made strides with Ubuntu and such, but when you go for help, and you get answers like "did you read the source", or many of the other answers that I've seen, you're just going to turn the average person off.
    While I agree for the most part, I'm not willing to say "never" I do believe there is a sun shiny day sometime in the future when Winblows won't be the only game in town for Joe Average.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Here is a prime example of why people get frustrated with *nix things. This is the entire text of an 'INSTALL' file. Which the common person would assume would be the instructions on how to install the file right?

------------------------------------------
    spine: a backend data gatherer for cacti
    ------------------------------------------

Below are some random notes about installing:

- to minimize the impact of MIB files for net-snmp, utilize the
    --disable-mib-loading configure option in net-snmp (vers 5.1 and above).
    - right now spine requires -lmysqlclient_r to compile (which may be
    removed in the future). It seems that the default Redhat (at least
    RH9) RPM's have trouble with this. The mysql.com RPMs work fine
    though.
    - you need to have all the correct headers and libtool as well. Make
    sure you have a good development environment.
    - Make sure to edit spine.conf
    Ok, here's a few questions:

What are the correct headers?

What does having good development environment mean? Yesterday while I was working on it, I was on the couch, watching TV and had some doritos and some ice tea, seemed like a good environment.

Which spine.conf and where is it?

That's the kind of 'documentation' I've seen repeatedly over the past 15 years I've been working with open source stuff. *nix will never be popular as long as that's the kind of stuff that's written.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

Oh, I thought this was spam? No? Oh ok...
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast