Thread: Ubiquiti SRX For Express Card Received and Reviewed - FAQ!

Hybrid View

Default Ubiquiti SRX For Express Card Received and Reviewed - FAQ!

Well today i received my Ubiquiti SRX from Data-alliance that is one of the first Long Range Express Card on the market.

Me and many others have wondered how this card works with Backtrack and if it is compability with the Madwifi drivers and backtrack.

But i must declare some things first before i start, and it is that i am NOT a Linux expert, i have quite little knowledge about Linux but i am interested and learning beside my school, ive try to use Kubuntu and Linux everyday when i need my computer becouse i like the challenge.

Okey so lets start the Review.

The Ubiquiti SRX card is a very small card "34", and comes with an antenna. In the package is a MiniCD with the drivers to Windows, dont know if there is Linux drivers but i suppose that it should be enough with the Madwifi drivers?
    There is not much more to say about the package becouse that is the only thing that was in it. But it is enough

__________________________________________________ __

Well is Ubiquiti Compitabel with backtrack then? Here i will list all problems i have found.
    NOTE: Only tested with BT3 beta Live CD.

1. Problem - Kernel problem?

I put in the Ubiquiti card in the Express Card slot, start the computer and run the live CD. Everything is going well until i get the mysterious error:
    Bank 0: b20000400000800
    Bank 5: b200121020080400
    Kernel panic - not syncing: CPU context corrupt
    Then Backtrack 3 Beta Live CD "hangs up" sorry bad english but it just frozen! And i have restart the computer.

My Questions to the Linux experts:
    1. Why is this happen?

Is there anyway to get around this?
    Well i figured out away to get it work, a very mysteries way but it works!
    Now listen carefully, directly after you seen in the boot:
    Auto configure IP adress for ath0: /sbin/dhcpcd -t 60 ath0 &
    Auto configure IP adress for eth0: /sbin/dhcpcd -t 60 eth &
    Auto configure IP adress for wifi0: /sbin/dhcpcd -t 60 wifi0 &
    UNPLUG YOUR UBIQUITI SRX QUICK!!!
    And then wait until the linux kernel has been loaded and then put it in.
    And then it "kinda" works, more problem is coming up!

2. Problem - Cant connect to my router

When i try to connect to my router with ath0 (Ubiquiti SRX) is just says cant connect, but i can find the network that is in my area.

My question to the linux experts
    Do u have any tips how to resolv this?

I shall update this review as fast i can, but i really appreciate help from YOU that maybe have some tips to make it work.

Just burned his ISO

This isn't a software issue, this is a wifi card issue... this is the wrong place for this.

Instead of unplugging quick like that, maybe you should just wait until everything is loaded before you attach the device.
    card might automagically start in monitor mode

ifconfig ath0 down
    iwconfig ath0 mode managed
    ifconfig ath0 up

hcl says it supports src, I assume that srx should work without additional drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdinandthebull View Post
    This isn't a software issue, this is a wifi card issue... this is the wrong place for this.

Instead of unplugging quick like that, maybe you should just wait until everything is loaded before you attach the device.
    card might automagically start in monitor mode

ifconfig ath0 down
    iwconfig ath0 mode managed
    ifconfig ath0 up

hcl says it supports src, I assume that srx should work without additional drivers.
    Well no, i actully tested with that you said and it didnt work.
    But instead of that ju just need to load them, then unplug, and then put it in whenever u want.

Thumbs up

Instead of running live cd better install it first on HDD and then while installation keep that card in slot then boot up OS normally and see again you getting problem or not.because live cd has issues to work with PCI-E Wireless NIC's.find madwifi drivers for atheros 5006 chipset.

Just burned his ISO

Default SRX problems with Linux

Quote Originally Posted by Zacay View Post
    Well no, i actully tested with that you said and it didnt work.
    But instead of that ju just need to load them, then unplug, and then put it in whenever u want.
    If you go to the the Ubiquiti forums, you'll see that many people have this problem with the SRX card. At this point, it doesn't seem like there is a fix for it at all. Until the madwifi drivers are updated to properly work with the AR5006EG chipset, you will have problems. It would have been nice to know the card doesn't work with Linux or Windows in promiscouus mode before I bought it too. It not fun to spend over $130 for a wifi card and find out its practically useless as a network monitor in linux and windows (the wildpacket drivers also doesn't work).

Quote Originally Posted by shadowx View Post
    If you go to the the Ubiquiti forums, you'll see that many people have this problem with the SRX card. At this point, it doesn't seem like there is a fix for it at all. Until the madwifi drivers are updated to properly work with the AR5006EG chipset, you will have problems. It would have been nice to know the card doesn't work with Linux or Windows in promiscouus mode before I bought it too. It not fun to spend over $130 for a wifi card and find out its practically useless as a network monitor in linux and windows (the wildpacket drivers also doesn't work).
    Seems that i have to wait yes until they have fixed it.