Thread: Screen goes black after writing startx

Just burned his ISO

Default Screen goes black after writing startx

So, i tried the Backtrack 2 CD, everything loads up good until i get to write commands.

I first write xconf and then startx, my screen just goes black and i can hear some sound which i assume is "welcome sound". It says that i should try to press ctrl + alt + plus if my screen goes black. I do and still nothing happens, just a black screen.

Could it be because my screen is a widescreen lcd with a somewhat unusual resolution, and how can i fix this?

I'm sorry for my poor english, but hopefully you understand anyway.

1,2,3 HaXx!
    In the boot menu, you should try to use VESA as a boot option, as that worked on
    my little brothers computer having similar hardware specs and also just having 100%
    black-screen. ;P

(oh yeah you can choose that on BackTrack 3 Beta, i would try some of the "CheatCodes"
    for backtrack when booting up. You can find these Cheat/Boot-Codes in the BackTrack Wiki)
    [quote][I]I realized, that I had fallen down from the top of the mountain into a deep, terrifying and dark hole, just to find out that another mountain in front of me, much greater than the previous, was the next step in life. I began to wander uphill on the next mountain of life while I knew it would be much harder than the previous mountain. [/I]- MaXe[/quote]

Just burned his ISO

i have the same problem please some one help

Please some one do some research on Linux and Xserver basics before coming here and asking.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Yeah and why didn't anyone listen to what i said in the first place..
    [quote][I]I realized, that I had fallen down from the top of the mountain into a deep, terrifying and dark hole, just to find out that another mountain in front of me, much greater than the previous, was the next step in life. I began to wander uphill on the next mountain of life while I knew it would be much harder than the previous mountain. [/I]- MaXe[/quote]

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

If any of you want any real help try to be less specific with your posts that way others can just guess what the problem is!

Try reading this tutorial and see if it helps follow it closely its not hard.

Then once you are done reading it and have any issues repost in this thread not a new one and I will try to help you out!
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.