Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ntfs-3g

Just burned his ISO

Default ntfs-3g

I have a extern hd thats running on ntfs.

How can i install ntfs-3g. And how can i mount the hd with ntfs-3g?

w.ntfs-3g.org/index.html here i can download it but i need help to use it.
    thx for all help

You can do a forced mount using ntfs-3g on ntfs partitions.
    something like this i think:
    Code:
    ~ maxe # mount  /dev/hda2 -f ntfs-3g
    Where hda2 is your desired harddisk/partition, so you put sdaX or hdaX..
    (where X defines the number aka partition it is you want to mount.)
    sda = S-ATA
    hda = ATA

For USB drives, the KDE environment should be able to mount them automatic.
    If not you should try mount it using vfat seeing as that was the best option that worked for me.

If you need more information about the mount command write:

Code:
    ~ maxe # man mount
    [quote][I]I realized, that I had fallen down from the top of the mountain into a deep, terrifying and dark hole, just to find out that another mountain in front of me, much greater than the previous, was the next step in life. I began to wander uphill on the next mountain of life while I knew it would be much harder than the previous mountain. [/I]- MaXe[/quote]

Just burned his ISO

thx my is named /dev/sdc1
    but i dont know how to install ntfs-3g?^^
    And the problem is that i can't write files on my hd... but i can read them, and i thought it's because ntfs-3g isn't installed/mounted

You are using BackTrack 2 right? Cause ntfs-3g is only beta in that. In BackTrack 3
    you can write and read to your ntfs partitions even when just booting up on the live cd.

You have to update your ntfs-3g in BackTrack 2 to be able to write to your harddisk
    i think, cause i haven't been able to write to mine without updating ntfs-3g to the newest.
    [quote][I]I realized, that I had fallen down from the top of the mountain into a deep, terrifying and dark hole, just to find out that another mountain in front of me, much greater than the previous, was the next step in life. I began to wander uphill on the next mountain of life while I knew it would be much harder than the previous mountain. [/I]- MaXe[/quote]

Just burned his ISO

Hmm i'm using Backtrack 3 beta^^
    And it don't works...
    i tried mount /dev/sdc1 -f ntfs-3g nothing happened, and i can't write on the hd...
    then i typed mount /mnt/sdc1 -f ntfs-3g because when i will create a folder on the hd i recieve:Could not make folder /mnt/sdb1/New Folder
    But it don't changed something...
    Should it try to download and install ntfs-3g new on backtrack 3 booted with live cd?

No no wait i actually wrote something wrong, my bad xD
    Code:
    ~ bt # mkdir /mnt/sdc1
    ~ bt # mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdc1 /mnt/sdc1
    That's how you mount using ntfs-3g manually.

If you can't mount due to it might give you an error then try with the force option:
    (i assume you have already made this folder "sdc1" so it is placed at: /mnt/sdc1
    Code:
    ~ bt # mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdc1 /mnt/sdc1 -o force
    Be careful with this kind of mount seeing as it clears the ntfs log!

Information about the force command::
    Force the mounting even if the NTFS logfile is unclean. The logfile will be
    unconditionally cleared. Use this option with caution and for your own respon-
    sibility.

(how did i find out? I wrote "man mount" and "man ntfs-3g" in console =O)

Just burned his ISO

Much thx and you see it too when backtrack starts^^
    I'm gonna try it out

Edit: it worked find really thanks =)

Just burned his ISO

with bt3's kernel 2.6 support for NTFS do you think it's save to convert the 'data' (sda4) partition (fat32 right now) to winXP type (ntfs-3g?) . I'm running into trouble with fat32 limitation for files over 4gb, lack of file security in winXP and general inefficiency on large

I am very sorry, but i am not sure what your question is... Can you please elaborate
    and make your question on a single line? I am not flaming, just requesting it in an easyere
    way for me to find out what you want

Just burned his ISO

sry, i guess i assume most of ppl here dual boot with windows.

my HD:

/dev/sda1 - ntfs-3g - primary XP
    /dev/sda2 swap
    /dev/sda3 ext3 (bt3)
    /dev/sda4 fat32 - data partition .. accessible from bt and windows (as suggested in dual boot method since RW for NTFS was experimental in kernel that came with bt2

i'm having trouble with fat32 in XP .. no security, 4gb per file limitation, ineficient on a large partition ....... since kernel 2.6.2 supports NTFS fully wondering if it's ok to convert to it ..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast