Thread: BackTrack 3 USB, Bigger Filesystem?

Just burned his ISO

Default BackTrack 3 USB, Bigger Filesystem?

Hi,

Ive installed BackTrack3 onto my USB drive (4GB), i made a partition of 1.5GB for it, and the rest for data.

When using the distro, if i want to install a program such as Nessus, i run out of space on the filesystem, as it is set to approx 1GB.

How can i increase the size of the filesystem to enable me to use the full 1.5GB of space?

Thanks,

Joe

From the sounds of it, you have done a live install with a separate partition for data. As you are using a live install anything above the size needed to hold the live installation is wasted space and is not available for use. If you were to change that to a live install with changes, using the partition you are calling the data partition to store the changes, then you would not have the problem.

The way you have it at the moment, the filesystem that you are running out of space on, is your memory, not the space on the drive itself.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for the reply,

I used the ~900mb USB Live install of BackTrack 3,

i was under the impression that i was running out of space because the file system is of a fixed size, as it gets compressed/decompressed...

I thought that maybe there was a way to increase the size of the (squashfs?) file system in order for me to be able to use the rest of the space on my first partition for extras such as Nessus.

Correct me if im completely wrong though....

Thanks,

Joe

Just burned his ISO

I guess not...