Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I change the critical CPU temp?

Default How do I change the critical CPU temp?

My laptops been on the fritz lately, but when I boot bt3, it says "critical temperature reached (95C)."

I know it's not actually that hot since it's been sitting off all night. Is there a way I can just change the temp setting or change it so it never shuts off if the temp is reached? I can monitor the temp by myself (not to mention it never actually gets that hot, like i said my laptop is going haywire).

Thanks

Most likely will be in your bios settings m8.

Quote Originally Posted by Blindbat View Post
    Most likely will be in your bios settings m8.
    yeah, id say look for a bios update and if that doesnt work dig around in the bios settings.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by unlazyfree View Post
    My laptops been on the fritz lately, but when I boot bt3, it says "critical temperature reached (95C)."

I know it's not actually that hot since it's been sitting off all night. Is there a way I can just change the temp setting or change it so it never shuts off if the temp is reached? I can monitor the temp by myself (not to mention it never actually gets that hot, like i said my laptop is going haywire).

Thanks
    How do you know it's not getting that hot? 95°c is 203°F which is pretty damn hot for a CPU, and it doesn't take long for a computer to reach that temperature. Any standard modern day processor without a heatsink can get hot enough in a few seconds to burn your skin off if touched (I've seen it happen, and the smell was horrible).

I think you might want to look into why this is happening, is your CPU fan dead? Did the heatsink separate from the CPU for some reason? Something is causing it to overheat.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    How do you know it's not getting that hot? 95°c is 203°F which is pretty damn hot for a CPU, and it doesn't take long for a computer to reach that temperature. Any standard modern day processor without a heatsink can get hot enough in a few seconds to burn your skin off if touched (I've seen it happen, and the smell was horrible).

I think you might want to look into why this is happening, is your CPU fan dead? Did the heatsink separate from the CPU for some reason? Something is causing it to overheat.
    Or a nightmarish terrible dust-bunny from hell. We have laptops overheating all the time here at work. People take them home and let their dog lay on them or somethin.
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

I don't think it has to do with my BIOS. I see the message when bt3 boots. I've booted right into vista with no problem before

Just this morning I booted my computer after sitting off all night and it said the cpu was 95C

Either it's bt3 or a faulty cpu thermometor thing. Either way I know it never gets too hot so is there something in bt3 that I can change so it doesn't poweroff? I've seen the error message in a terminal after having the OS up for a while.

also I cleaned the insides of the laptop and even checked out the cpu fan and heatsinks and they weren't even that dirty.

I have a thing in Vista that monitors the temp and I've never had it get that hot in windows. It's always on high performance on the battery settings all the time, too.

is your laptop an HP? i have a shitload of trouble with my bios in linux and from what people told me on the ubuntu forums hp actually worked with microsoft to create their bios. this leaves shitty support for linux. ill see if i can find the thread i made on ubuntu's forums.

Quote Originally Posted by ats1080 View Post
    is your laptop an HP? i have a shitload of trouble with my bios in linux and from what people told me on the ubuntu forums hp actually worked with microsoft to create their bios. this leaves shitty support for linux. ill see if i can find the thread i made on ubuntu's forums.
    no it's an acer. not much better though.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Did you try after booting up ?
    Code:
    bt ~ # cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/temperature
    the standard output will be something like
    Code:
     temperature          00 C
    zeros indicating of course the temp in centigrade.
    This might give a more accurate temperature return.
    hope that helps
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast