Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ati-driver installation error

Default ati-driver installation error

When trying to install ati-driver/backtrack-ati I recieve the following error:

Code:
    trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/libGL.so', which is also in package libgl1-mesa-dev
    Processing triggers for man-db ...
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    /var/cache/apt/archives/ati-driver_9.5-bt2_i386.deb
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    This is on a fresh HD install in basic text mode. I've the same issue on both machines I have tested this on, a Dell Studio 16 XPS/4670 and a custom build running a 4870X2.

Default Re: ati-driver installation error

There are two problems, one hidden and one not.
    The ATI driver will have to overwrite libGL.so ...
    dpkg -i --force overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/ati-driver_9.5-bt2_i386.deb should work...BUT DONT DO IT YET.

I believe the ati-driver hasn't been updated TO The running kernel. We are working on it...

Question Re: ati-driver installation error

I have same problem. I solved when I download ati drivers from Graphics Drivers & Software and install (manual is here https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206...at912-inst.pdf).

After that I have only problem with resolution.I choose and apply resolution but when I reboot resolution is old (before change). Anybody help?

Developer

If you install source packages rather than wait for us to get a proper package going it makes it very hard for us to support and help you.

Great work guys, any testing you want done here on ATI cards let me know!
    "I do not know with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

Albert Einstein

Just burned his ISO

Can i ask when this major bugfix coming out ?
    Or can we get linux-header linux-image or anything to work out or build ati package.

The ATI driver uses dkms to keep itself "updated" to the image being used on the machine, but it seems that this has become an outdated method, or maybe we dont get the proper version of DKMS as we use a proprietary repository.

I've tried setting up the ATI driver on my desktop by creating packages for 9.12 targeted at Ubuntu/intrepid and it always comes down to the same thing - attempting to build the fglrx package returns bloody errors (check my last post regarding the issue on the old forums).

It seems to come down to the fact that DKMS tries to compile for a kernel it doesnt understand, it may be as simple as updating our kernel-image to work with DKMS by feeding it properly versionned data, but i for one still have some severe issues booting any kernel that isn't the default kernel-image supplied by the devs (muts, you wouldn't know anything about that would ya?).

ATI's support for linux is "lacking" to say the least, as their driver support always has been, for all platforms; if you look up my username you'll figure out how i know this - i've been RLTM for a long time . This fiasco is another example of them trying to band-aid their shoddy development practices. For a company that makes decent hardware... i wont sink to profanity on the issue quite yet.

Quote Originally Posted by muts View Post
    There are two problems, one hidden and one not.
    The ATI driver will have to overwrite libGL.so ...
    dpkg -i --force overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/ati-driver_9.5-bt2_i386.deb should work...BUT DONT DO IT YET.

I believe the ati-driver hasn't been updated TO The running kernel. We are working on it...
    Do you know when this important update is coming?

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by halfdone View Post
    Do you know when this important update is coming?
    The general answer to such questions are 'it will be done when it's done'. I know it's not the best answer but it's the only one as of now. Furthermore you and others might try checking the repo to see if there is a new package available.

I have succssfully installed the ATI drivers in my PC and now BT4 is running with the maximum resolution
    I have and HD4530 card and I have installed the drivers dowloading the ati-driver-installer-10-2-x86.x86_64.run from ATI web site.

The only problem I got it was to manually update the xorg.config file with the one from ATI...I do not why the automatic installation does not update it.

Enjoy....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast