Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Wifi Ethics

Quote Originally Posted by spankdidly View Post
    I have a V5 I threw the micro firmware on. I think the ddwrt had a V5 firmware made specifically for that version, I could be wrong though. I bricked it the first time, shorted the pins and got it back up and put the RIGHT firmware on it
    I think it was the OpenWRT that did not like V5. Nice page------>en_dot_wikipedia_dot_org/wiki/Wrt54g
    <EeePc 1000HA BT4/W7 USB boot Alfa500 GPS BlueTooth>

Quote Originally Posted by swc666 View Post
    Well IMHO, there is a distinction of inadvertently connecting to an AP you don't own at boot and casually stealing the neighbor's Internet to download hours of Xploitz and Pureh@te B|T video tuts.
    Its still the law, the law doesnt care if you inadvertenly connected.

Which is why I brought up the point about having software that does exactly that, without even asking........just who is *actually* breaking the law - technically?

I'm sure we can all draw parallels about it - how a "supplier" or "vendor" supplies something that doesn't comply with legal requirement or somehow causes a contravene of the law........

Anyway, it's just a thought that puzzles me

Quote Originally Posted by merlin051 View Post
    When booting BT3 it automatically connects to any un-secured wireless connection, without any prompting or input from the user.
    You do at least have the option of disabling that in BT.

I must say I am so so glad that piggybacking is not actually illegal here in Washington state US. Ars Technica said it best: If my neighhbor waters his lawn and gets some on mine, do I owe him money? IMO the industry itself should start shipping hardware to the non-technical masses that's more secure, by default.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by 773451 View Post
    I must say I am so so glad that piggybacking is not actually illegal here in Washington state US. Ars Technica said it best: If my neighhbor waters his lawn and gets some on mine, do I owe him money? IMO the industry itself should start shipping hardware to the non-technical masses that's more secure, by default.
    Hmm, it would seem that Washington State has not succeeded from the union just yet, so I believe that they fall under the Federal Computer Crime Codes.

The watering the lawn analogy doesn't hold water by the way.

(pun intended).
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by merlin051 View Post
    Its still the law, the law doesnt care if you inadvertenly connected.
    My point was in regards to ethics (the focus of the thread title) in case you couldn't comprehend that.
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Quote Originally Posted by swc666 View Post
    My point was in regards to ethics (the focus of the thread title) in case you couldn't comprehend that.
    But the subject is about more than just ethics. To try and keep it within those constraints is not enough for the subject, as there are many other factors that come into play in a something like this.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

merlin051=Its still the law, the law doesnt care if you inadvertenly connected.
    Nope your right, and neither do my overpaid lawyers, who would love to have such a case, so when I mistakenly connect to someones ap upon boot up with my windblows laptop with an out of the box default configuration! Just like the 40 year old woman that was sued by RIAA for trading in mp3s, This women had never even owned a computer. But she got a letter in the mail non-the-less. Thats what high priced lawyers can do for you!

Re@lity =how a "supplier" or "vendor" supplies something that doesn't comply with legal requirement or somehow causes a contravene of the law........
    because as I agree with Re@lity on this one, since the vendor made it that way I should be allowed to sue them ( product vendor)if it goes to court! This is same exact thing happens all the time with issues outside of computers and it puzzles me too!
    773451= IMO the industry itself should start shipping hardware to the non-technical masses that's more secure, by default.
    good point but if the vendors make it to complicated for someone to simply "plug in, turn on and drop out" then they won't buy it, or recommend it !
    Then those companies won't make money and thats the bottom line for many companies! It has to be easy enough so an elderly person could do it at home alone! Right or wrong good or bad.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

so when I mistakenly connect to someones ap upon boot up with my windblows laptop with an out of the box default configuration!
    WINDOWS DOES NOT DO THIS. I wish you guys would stop saying that it does. Windows will not automatically connect to any open AP it finds. It will present the user with a list of them and the user can choose which one they connect to. If they choose an open one, it even informs them via a popup box that their data could be monitored because it's an unencrypted network.

Now, what you apparently intelligent people are confusing is when someone chooses one of the global networks (Linksys, Default, Netgear etc...) and then when they're out somewhere with their laptop it connects to another network that matches the same SSID. This is actually the nature of the 802.11 specification in regards to roaming. The computer doesn't know it's not part of the same network, it just sees the SSID and thinks it is now roaming on the same one as before. This is by design and everything that follows the 802.11 specification will do it.

There were some additions made in some client managers later that you could assign a MAC address to connect to and prevent it from accidentally roaming onto another AP, but this is against the 802.11 spec.

I can leave my laptop sitting here all day long disconnected from the network with 14 networks around me and I know that it will not connect to any of them by itself.

What you guys keep saying is equivalent that if I leave a gun laying around it's going to jump up and starting shooting people.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast