Thread: Ettercap, or something like it?

Default Ettercap, or something like it?

When using ettercap on my network with arp poisoning i'm running into weird things under my windows target machine. For one, its asking for certs half the time when logging on, and ettercap crashes out, suddenly and silently. all the other man in the middle options just make my network notwork... so i was wondering if there's a comprehensive tutorial somewhere about using this tool, or maybe something like it but a bit newer (sourceforge seems to indicate that its almost 3 yrs old).

Behold: Rocket Science
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

Irongeek has a good one. Your windows box is freaking out because ettercap is providing a cert that is a big ole' phony. Windows doesn't know what to do with it so it asks you. And you merrily click "Yes" a bunch of times and get through. As far as the other issues, I'm not sure. Dont use the GUI one, only use the commandline one. When you are running the CL one, hit the space bar and it will start showing packets and all sorts of other things.

Behold!

ettercap -TqM arp:remote // //

That should do it. Or use a filter. The filters are the best, look at one on Irongeeks site. I have been looking for a reliable ettercap filter to redirect all http traffic to a single site. I've found a few, but they didn't always work.
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

gotta love linux, every time i use a GUI i realize that i'm an idiot and should have spent the time to learn the CL version. I'mma petition to have another 5 hours added to the day so people could learn linux or get extra sleep (if they happen to be dating such a linux interested individual and dont want to put up with his raving)

Here's a good one - when i throw my machines onto a switch (lil cisco) it royally jacks up all the traffic. AIM won't sign on, the cert problem turns into a royal PITA, etc etc. Is this all caused by the GUI, or is basic ARP poisoning doing this?

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

Couldn't tell ya. The GUI always gave me problems, even though it was probably just me. You are setting up the Iptables right?

Look at this thread, about halfway down, all of that looks right to me

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/arc...hp/t-7091.html
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!