Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing BackTrack 3 on HDD/USB

Just burned his ISO

Default Installing BackTrack 3 on HDD/USB

Hi,

I noticed that the backtrack3 installer is listed as (not tested), so I just wanted to throw this out there that I have successfully followed the backtrack2 installation steps given jabra's pdf to install it on two internals and a 4Gb USB drive. No problems.

-k

Hello krusau,

I have recently installed BackTrack 3 Beta without any problems at all.
    After that you will see there's a few things to update, such as slapt-get (repositories).
    Also keep in mind some libs might be missing, so you gotta download and install those
    as well if you intend to like me, use it also for image editing

But generally yes, the installer works. (i use ATA-HD's ,AMD CPU, SD-RAM & more old stuff .)
    Though to get a little better performance i had to install the nvidia-drivers myself
    of course. That was a tiny problem first due to BT 3 Beta does NOT have the Kernel
    sources, but don't worry!

On the BackTrack Wiki Page: BackTrack Wiki
    You can downlload the Kernel Sources so you can compile and install f.ex. nvidia drivers.

The only strange thing i don't know why is happening, is i can't watch video's properly
    in BackTrack 3 Beta with NVidia Drivers, Adobe Flash Player 9, and up2date firefox.
    Still with those i apparently can't see video's properly in BT3 Beta, but i'll try see if i
    can fix that sometime.
    [quote][I]I realized, that I had fallen down from the top of the mountain into a deep, terrifying and dark hole, just to find out that another mountain in front of me, much greater than the previous, was the next step in life. I began to wander uphill on the next mountain of life while I knew it would be much harder than the previous mountain. [/I]- MaXe[/quote]

Just burned his ISO

Default perfect install

I am using the larger 900mb version that I made an .iso of and I installed it to my hd and I have to say that it works in an amazing fashion. I ran the updates and when the final release comes out I am going to promote it as the best Linux desktop solution available. Ubuntu is good but this plays music, Youtube, .torrents etc right out of the box. I gave only $5 to the project but anybody that reads this and can't spare a fiver to help make this work .. well you know what you are. I would like qtparted in the final release to aid in preparing my hd for the install, I had to use Backtrack 2 to partition the hd with qtparted, then boot bt3 to do the install. I have an Nforce 570 chip set, FX-60 cpu, 7950GT video, 2GB Ram and 250 Gb SATA H. I booted the Nvidia option and added the "copy2ram" option in the boot parameters, then selected the "experimental" install to hd.
    This also works flawlessly with my HP L2000 laptop and Ubiquiti 300mW wireless card, I just use the copy2ram switch and my 2gb is plenty to make the fastest user experience you have ever seen. The copy2ram is what I would recommend to anyone as long as they have a minimum of 2 gigs to work with.
    Syngress makes a book I bought that is for BT2 but it seems to work very well with the BT3 beta. I got it at Borders for $60 with a 20% coupon found on Google. I definitely recommend getting this for anyone that is going to use back track.

Henry
    "don't negotiate; defenestrate!"

QuietStorm

There is a very nice tutorial video at BT Wiki of how to install BT on your HDD byt MUTS. That is what i followed and it works just fine.

P.S. It is for BT2, but worked nicely for BT3Beta too...

Yeah i know cause i read the same wiki long time ago as well (well not that long ago)
    [quote][I]I realized, that I had fallen down from the top of the mountain into a deep, terrifying and dark hole, just to find out that another mountain in front of me, much greater than the previous, was the next step in life. I began to wander uphill on the next mountain of life while I knew it would be much harder than the previous mountain. [/I]- MaXe[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by krusau View Post
    Hi,

I noticed that the backtrack3 installer is listed as (not tested), so I just wanted to throw this out there that I have successfully followed the backtrack2 installation steps given jabra's pdf to install it on two internals and a 4Gb USB drive. No problems.

-k
    Krusau, I'm planning to create a 4Gb USB BT3. I already read the Wiki about it, but where is the "jabra's pdf" you refer to in your post? Is it the same guide that I found in the wiki?

Another question. I understand the BT3 will need 1Gb aprox in the USB stick. Can I partition the USB in a way that I can also have an interchange partition with Windows, for instance ?

Rgds.

isnt a full install 2900mb ?

maybe i day dreamed that bit haha

The installation took 1 Gb aprox. There are another spare 3Gb (almost) to be used for paging, share with windows, data files etc. We can use the remaining space in the full partition, but if it were possible to repartition it, it would be much better.

Rgds.

Just burned his ISO

Exclamation USB 2GB Install

I Have Found That The Downloadable USB Version ( BT3 ) Works Just Fine If You Format Your Drive B4 Attempting To Install BackTrack 3 Beta .

Ps. Still Waiting For a Harddrive Install Of Normal Linux ! Any Ideas ?

Msg Me Back Please

Just burned his ISO

I posted this in another thread too i was unable to create a new one, now, my question is, I got bt3 to boot from usb, 1 it seems to take forever to 'locate data' but does, then after the logon screen, it just freezes on a black screen with a non blinking cursor and never loads,, any suggestions?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast