Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: External Monitor

Just burned his ISO

Default External Monitor

HI, I installed BT 3 on my Asus EEE and all is well with the execption of the external monitor video out.

Can anyone advise on how best to tackle this. I plus in the LCD monitor and it wont switch to external monitor.?

Any help appreciated.

cheers

Raz

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by razas View Post
    HI, I installed BT 3 on my Asus EEE and all is well with the execption of the external monitor video out.
    Can anyone advise on how best to tackle this. I plus in the LCD monitor and it wont switch to external monitor.?
    Any help appreciated.
    cheers
    Raz
    Ok there are several places that you can look for this info. I know that it pertains to dual monitors in linux, things might be a little different for you laptop... however
    You probably want to have a look at the following:
    xorg.conf
    This is a generic tutorial I did to help get an external monitor to work.
    also have a look at
    using slackware on a gateway with 2 monitors
    This link will also give you info about setting up dual monitorsDual monitors

Sometimes it can be rather difficult to get two monitors to work and sometimes it may be as simple as a bios setting. I am not sure about bios settings with your laptop however it may help to look there.

A word of caution: if you start messing with your xorg.conf files Make a backup first !! just save the original with some sort of generic name. that way if something goes wrong you can alway start over.

Post back if you run into trouble.
    Good luck!
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

dang...much appreciated

Can't help you with this one. I hooked my EEE up to my external monitor, turned it one and it opened right up. The screen on the EEE is no good but on the external monitor it's perfect.

I only use it as a single monitor and am not trying to use it as a dual monitor but you did not indicate that it was a dual monitor issue just that you were not getting any video on an external monitor.

Just burned his ISO

Hi I`mm also kind of new to backtrack just found it a couple of days ago.
    The Backtrack Wiki and all those fine articles helped me to make proper dual boot with windows xp. Almost anything is working fine Now my problem and situation:

I have a laptop and next to it a old CRT (17" Monitor ) . From windows I'm used to use both monitor the laptop's screen and the CRT.

When I start up backtrack with the CRT plugged in, it used the CRT. If itś not plugged in it uses the laptop's. So now I'm wondering if I need to follow all those steps or if I just simply overlooked a lil checkbox (like the one in windows : enable 2nd monitor ... )

would appreaciate any help

Quote Originally Posted by syn4pse View Post
    Hi I`mm also kind of new to backtrack just found it a couple of days ago.
    The Backtrack Wiki and all those fine articles helped me
    And they will continue to help you if you search for your problems.
    I have a laptop and next to it a old CRT (17" Monitor ) . From windows I'm used to use both monitor the laptop's screen and the CRT.
    What type of laptop do you have? This thread was originally about a eeepc, if this is what you have there are a few thread about it here with fixes on screen issues.

So now I'm wondering if I need to follow all those steps or if I just simply overlooked a lil checkbox (like the one in windows : enable 2nd monitor ... )
    would appreaciate any help
    Usually there are not to many "lil checkbox"es in linux like windows. Alot of times one has to configure a file of some sort.
    Look back at the thread I posted above about xorg.conf
    Also you can try booting in vesa mode, this may solve the problems.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    Back|Track Wiki

Just burned his ISO

Default re re

I'm using a toshiba notebook hxxp://de.computers.toshiba-europe.com/cgi-bin/ToshibaCSG/jsp/SUPPORTSECTION/discontinuedProductPage.do?service=DE&com.broadvis ion.session.new=Yes&PRODUCT_ID=81069#0

it has a AGP connector at the back where i plug in my Samsung Syncmaster 755DFX.

I just took a look at the /etc/xorg.conf but this file seems to be a file where you set information about the monitor you are using but how can I edit the file in order to use BOTH at the same time?

appreciate the fast reply

Quote Originally Posted by syn4pse View Post
    I just took a look at the /etc/xorg.conf but this file seems to be a file where you set information about the monitor you are using but how can I edit the file in order to use BOTH at the same time?
    Did you really look at the links and read through them?
    the xorg.conf file is how you configure your x server this will give you options for a keyboard, mouse and other input devices as well as monitors.
    Have a look at the links again.
    http://www.linux-laptop.net/hosted/g...slackware.html
    In this link take a look at the sample xorg.conf file down the page.
    You only care about the parts labeled "monitor" and subsections "device"

Also take a look at this page with more info:
    http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/...s_with_XFree86

here is another series of links
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

here is also a tutorial I did on setting up the xorgconfig file. It was done for bt2 but it should work the same in bt3 this will give you some generic information about setting up this file.
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=10407

Remember that you have to define both monitors in the xconf file, and what drivers should be used with each.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    Back|Track Wiki

Just burned his ISO

I'll read up but need to leave now will respond here as soon as i can

Just burned his ISO

so now i had some time to take a 2nd look at the xorg.conf file so this is my try. I added the following to the /etc/X11/xorg.conf (added it to the already existing entry which i thought was for my laptop's monitor )

Code:
    Section "Monitor"
        Identifier "My External Monitor"
        HorizSync 31.5 - 150.5
        VertRefresh 75-85
    EndSection
    the settings should be properly. Read them up in my laptop's datasheat.

I added this part in order to enable both monitors (both work but only one at a time ) so i thought to add a 2nd line for a second device. startx after this but nothing happened. I also followed your tutorial on how to create a xorg.conf file but this didn't help much either (I didn't found anything concerning dual monitors in the conf builder).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast