Thread: BT3 boot hangs, screen just says L 07 07 07 07..and so on

Default BT3 boot hangs, screen just says L 07 07 07 07..and so on

I remember when installing lilo I had a few warnings such as

Warning: the boot sector and map files are on different disks

I also remember I got one that went something like

Warning: LBA32 location assumed
    or something like that

any help?

also when it booted, it used to say L 99 99 99 99 99 and so on but now it's 07 07 07

I'm runnign the liveCD and tried to edit my lilo configuration, and after editing it and running lilo -v and everything, it still won't boot.

Any way to manually fix this before I go ahead and format and reinstall it? that's kind of a last resort (cause it takes time)

i went and checked and lilo.conf saved on my hard disk when I rewrote it to get vista running, too (read the thread on it)

maybe somethings wrong with the boot sector?

Quote Originally Posted by unlazyfree View Post
    I remember when installing lilo I had a few warnings such as

Warning: the boot sector and map files are on different disks

I also remember I got one that went something like

Warning: LBA32 location assumed
    or something like that

any help?

also when it booted, it used to say L 99 99 99 99 99 and so on but now it's 07 07 07

I'm runnign the liveCD and tried to edit my lilo configuration, and after editing it and running lilo -v and everything, it still won't boot.

Any way to manually fix this before I go ahead and format and reinstall it? that's kind of a last resort (cause it takes time)

i went and checked and lilo.conf saved on my hard disk when I rewrote it to get vista running, too (read the thread on it)

maybe somethings wrong with the boot sector?
    I had the same problem of the 99 99 ... 99. I was dualing booting with Vista and bt2 (not bt3, but probably the same fix might work.) I booted up my laptop with the Vista installation dvd. When it first boots, it will ask you if you want to install vista or fix/repair a windows installation. I picked fix/repair windows. It eventually finds the windows partition and then re-creates the master boot records stuff so that windows will boot up. After this fix is completed, then boot up bt3 with the cd. Start the installation to hard drive, in the gui, I filled in the required information and Restore Original MBR after lilo = do not "check" this box. It will rewrite the mbr, but then you can nano /etc/lilo.conf.

Good luck,

sylvestor

if you boot off a live cd or usb stick and reinstall the MBR with correct settings it should be fine. happened to me a couple times. your windows and bt3 instilations are still there and fine

Quote Originally Posted by ats1080 View Post
    if you boot off a live cd or usb stick and reinstall the MBR with correct settings it should be fine. happened to me a couple times. your windows and bt3 instilations are still there and fine
    Can you explain how to, "reinstall the MBR with correct settings ..." ?

Quote Originally Posted by sylvestor2002 View Post
    Can you explain how to, "reinstall the MBR with correct settings ..." ?
    yeah, I'd like it too. I've tried reinstalling lilo and wasn't able to.

I think my problem is I'm using a live cd, and not in any hard drive installed OS.

Also I booted into vista, and used vistas boot editing program, but it wouldn't let me change the file system from c to boot with linux (hard to explain but it was some stupid error the program had).

And I tried installing grub as a last resort and even that failed.

is there something i can do to easily write lilo to the mbr from the bt3 live cd? bt3 is installed on my hd but I can't load it until lilo is installed. When installing bt3 originally, it hung for like 30 minutes on 100% but it said it was still writing the mbr so I figured I could just install it myself from the live cd. i hope i wasn't wrong

nevermind i just reinstalled everything and it works fine now.

well, i guess first ting is to ask if youre trying to do a dual boot or not. if youre not, its pretty simple. when you run the installer on the live cd just check the checkbox that says replace existing MBR. if youre dualbooting let me know and ill type up how i did it.

well, i guess first ting is to ask if youre trying to do a dual boot or not. if youre not, its pretty simple. when you run the installer on the live cd just check the checkbox that says replace existing MBR. if youre dualbooting let me know and ill type up how i did it.
    I've had to fiddle around going through the vista dvd to boot up and fix the mbr errors. But if you know an easy way to fix the mbr, please let us all know.

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by sylvestor2002 View Post
    I've had to fiddle around going through the vista dvd to boot up and fix the mbr errors. But if you know an easy way to fix the mbr, please let us all know.

thanks.
    i just told you how...boot into back track and when you use the installer to install check the checkbox that says replace the MBR, or something similar to that. if youre dual booting it gets more complicated. after you install backtrack and replace the MBR you need to edit /etc/lilo.conf and run lilo to save the changes to the MBR. im on windows right now so i wouldnt be able to tell you exactly what you need to add to lilo.conf. google can tell you faster than i can.

ok, i booted up backtrack and this is what should be in your lilo.conf:

boot = /dev/sda
    prompt
    timeout = 60
    #bitmap=/boot/splash.bmp
    change-rules
    reset
    #vga = 769,771/773/792
    vga = 769
    #Windows bootable partition config begins
    other = /dev/sda1
    label = Windows
    table = /dev/sda
    #Windows bootable partition confing ends
    image = /boot/vmlinuz
    root = current
    label = BackTrack
    read-only

you might have to change the partitions around for your setup.

i just told you how...boot into back track and when you use the installer to install check the checkbox that says replace the MBR, or something similar to that. if youre dual booting it gets more complicated. after you install backtrack and replace the MBR you need to edit /etc/lilo.conf and run lilo to save the changes to the MBR. im on windows right now so i wouldnt be able to tell you exactly what you need to add to lilo.conf. google can tell you faster than i can.

ok, i booted up backtrack and this is what should be in your lilo.conf:

boot = /dev/sda
    prompt
    timeout = 60
    #bitmap=/boot/splash.bmp
    change-rules
    reset
    #vga = 769,771/773/792
    vga = 769
    #Windows bootable partition config begins
    other = /dev/sda1
    label = Windows
    table = /dev/sda
    #Windows bootable partition confing ends
    image = /boot/vmlinuz
    root = current
    label = BackTrack
    read-only

you might have to change the partitions around for your setup.
    Thanks Ats1080.